Forums Latest Members

Master Chronometer accuracy and self-regulation

1. Benjo74 Jan 9, 2017

Hi all, I have been enjoying my new Globemaster since Christmas and have been monitoring its accuracy using the WatchTracker app (no reason other than nerdiness). Overall results look great, dead on after 15 days - see below:
    [​IMG]

However, when you look at the daily rate it is all over the place:
    [​IMG]

I know that with some other watches you can self-regulate. For example, I leave my Rolex GMT crown up overnight and this reduces some of the time gained during the day. As a result it is running about +0.5 seconds per day.

However, I'm new to Omega so I'm not sure whether this is something you might do with a master chronometer or whether there is a "best practice" way of keeping it accurate and consistent?

I'm going to start a new timing run today but this time I will lie the watch in the same position each night and see how it fares.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome - thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 9, 2017

All watches have positional variation, so if the watch stays in a specific position more one day, and in another position in another day, they rate will change. Postiional variation can be as much as 12 seconds over 5 positions at full wind, so the variation your feel is "all over the place" is actually not that bad.

If you want to find the position that either slows down or speeds up the watch, test the positions and then you can use that to regulate the watch overnight.

Cheers, Al

Knezz and Gwade like this.
  3. Benjo74 Jan 9, 2017

Thanks for the info, Al. That's my plan for this next few weeks - figure out which overnight position has what effect, then determine the best position to keep it as close to 0 as possible. Again, it's not a big deal but it just interests me to see how it holds up.

4. DMeister406 Jan 9, 2017

My new PO 8900 is Master Chronometer certified. The accuracy of this piece is somewhat uncanny. I can't believe how good it is. I set the time (hacked) to http://time.is and after 14 days, it is only off by 1 second. This is with regular wearing and taking it off at night. Depending on how I place it down (crown down, crown up, resting on case back etc), there will be some additional variation but the net result is incredible accuracy for a mechanical piece.

5. efthi Jan 11, 2017

Wow this is amazing to know, I use also time.is and check my watches every morning, some keep good time some not.. Of course it is dependable on the position you let them rest, I am excited to read your comment as I am waiting for my PO8900 next week, God every second is a torture now!

Clancy Eccles and DMeister406 like this.
  6. DMeister406 Jan 11, 2017

Haha - I can believe the wait is a killer! Which colour/bracelet did you go for?

7. efthi Jan 12, 2017

Yes it's awful really!! I went with the orange numerala and ss bracelet, I was ready for the black and silver numerals but then I saw it in AD's and felt that becomes completely dark in some lighting occasions.. I also liked the blue but I know that I would regret it. By the way it felt really nice on the wrist, love how they designed the SEL

Sent from Tapatalk Pro

8. DMeister406 Jan 12, 2017

That's a beautiful combo. I agree that the silver indices can be obscured occasionally depending on the light reflecting but for me it was easy to overlook :D

9. efthi Jan 12, 2017

It's a beautiful watch, even until yesterday evening I could not make my mind up but at the end decided to go with the orange.. Maybe later in time I can add a black bezel and make it look like the 8500 with the orange numerals

Sent from Tapatalk Pro

10. DMeister406 Jan 12, 2017

Absolutely! Truly a beautiful piece. I love how the Planet Ocean (even the name is cool), hearkens back to the original Seamaster with many design queues

Clancy Eccles likes this.
  11. efthi Jan 12, 2017

Did you make a thread out of it?? Love seeing pics, I will make a nice one when get it I promise!

Sent from Tapatalk Pro

12. DMeister406 Jan 12, 2017

Haha - no I didn't. I did post a few images in other threads though. Here are some more to keep you going until yours arrives ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

efthi likes this.
  13. efthi Jan 12, 2017

God I love it.. I can even now change my mind lololol!!! Supposed to be shipped today [emoji2]
    Amazing, hope you will wear it in good health always!!!

Sent from Tapatalk Pro

Edited Jan 12, 2017
  14. DMeister406 Jan 12, 2017

Awesome! I will! :) Hope you get yours post-haste! :)

15. Benjo74 Jan 13, 2017

So, I have worn it all this week (mon-fri) and stored it crown down overnight. I think these results are acceptable [emoji3]

[​IMG]

kkt likes this.
  16. Shihab Jan 18, 2017

Great , on which positions does the watch usually gain or lose time?

17. efthi Jan 18, 2017

Mine is spot on, 3 days now that I have been wearing 8am to 6pm and then resting on its case it is spot on (not a single second deviation!!).. First couple of days sitting in its case it was like +3sec/day

Sent from Tapatalk Pro

DMeister406 likes this.
  18. DMeister406 Jan 18, 2017

I find it gains slightly when resting with crown up and loses slightly when resting with crown down. Obviously, with daily wearing, the watch is in multiple positions all the time so gains and losses largely cancel each other. The net position is that it has now been 24 days since I last synchronised my watch to time.is, with daily wearing, resting at night with crown up, and I am now only 1 second off atomic. That's pretty remarkable imho.

Shihab likes this.
  19. efthi Jan 20, 2017

My 8900 seems to be - 0,5sec/day, wearing 800-1800 and then resting dial up position for the night.. Pretty damn accurate

Shihab and DMeister406 like this.
  20. Shihab Jan 21, 2017

Mine is about -1 sec/day depending also on which position the watch rests at night which is also variable according to the power reserve of the watch.

efthi likes this.