Forums Latest Members

Masonic Watches - Are there Any Authentic Versions?

1. propervinyl Jan 30, 2018

HI everyone,

I am starting to look for a birthday gift for a dear friend who is an active mason. He has always appreciated the vintage watches I've brought around, and has commented that he would like to find a watch with masonic themes.

We have all seen the Eastern European redials. I'm not terribly interested in giving him one unless I have to.

My research has not yielded much. A company called Dudley made a very ornate masonic pocket watch before going out of business. Also, Hamilton appears to have made a number of watches with Masonic dials.

I am wondering if anyone has more information on models I should look at, or could point me toward an authoritative source. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 30, 2018

The Hamilton Rodney is is going to be your best bet as it was a regular cataloged dial option. There are usually one or two on eBay at any given time.

IMG_2058.jpg rodney.jpg

3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 31, 2018

Maybe a nice pocket watch:

E Howard _123017 9108.jpg
    E Howard _123017 9086.jpg

4. Canuck Jan 31, 2018

A lot of information is available on line regarding the Dudley Masonic Watch, Dudley, and his company. In my photo archives I have pictures of one showing the modified movement and the Masonic dial. As well as another with the plain 12-hour dial. Over time, there were a number of minor modifications to the cosmetic features of the Dudley movement, but the movements were basically built on a 12-size Hamilton pillar plate with Hamilton parts, but with plates etc., produced by Dudley. The Dudley movement shown is behind a regular 12-hour dial. The Masonic dial is off the internet.

17810991-2E89-4714-9BF1-2857F1D831C0.jpeg F3F2F693-7F3C-4DAB-BB12-5FE0D50D85A1.jpeg 98D64A9F-072D-497D-99F3-D3D4C93F0472.jpeg

5. propervinyl Jan 31, 2018

Thank you Norman! This is the direction I will take. It really seems like a beautiful execution, and the fact that it appeared in the Hamilton catalogs means a lot. Plus, I once heard a watchmaker rave about the quality of Hamiltons from this period.

Thank you! A pocket watch is clearly an excellent option, especially for his style. Probably for the holidays or next birthday!

Thank you! I came across your photos at the beginning of my research. These are gorgeous and very special, but they seem to command very high premiums. I will keep an eye out though!

6. Canuck Jan 31, 2018

I would expect that the emblems used on the dials of “Masonic” watches are copyrighted. And that anyone providing anything with those emblems would be subject to a fee for the use of these emblems. Therefore, I suspect this will reflect in the asking prices for any watch adorned with the images. That, plus I can’t see any self-respecting member of the Masonic Lodge wearing a junker watch with the logos of his Lodge. These Dudley Masonic watches do command impressive prices. I doubt Timex is in this particular market.

propervinyl likes this.
  7. propervinyl Jan 31, 2018

Thanks - yes, I agree Timex would be a good choice here ;)

Several of these beautiful Dudley's have sold in the $3,000-$8,000 range on ebay in recent months. I wish this wasn't out of my price range, but I am afraid it is at the moment.

But thank you for posting the beautiful photos and background research. If you don't mind, I would like to share it with my friend, as I am sure he will find it as interesting as I did.

8. Canuck Jan 31, 2018

Feel free to share. The watch belongs to a friend of mine for whom I serviced it. He won’t mind.

propervinyl likes this.
  9. Vanallard Mar 30, 2018

+1 for the Hamilton Rodney (and other Hamilton watches from that period.

The Rodney is nicely sized for a watch from the 50s and wears big, partly due to the flared lugs/relatively small lug width (16mm).

propervinyl likes this.
  10. Xeer Apr 10, 2018

upload_2018-4-10_15-28-51.png

What about these ones? I've seen them being sold for 3-4k

propervinyl likes this.
  11. raider44 Apr 11, 2018

12. tikkathree Apr 11, 2018

Not seen a Masonic movement before; that's quite nice.

propervinyl likes this.
  13. tikkathree Apr 11, 2018

Mind if a brother interjects?

Don't worry about it. The generally known symbols of the square, compasses, the all-seeing eye, the level, plumb-rule, the chequered pavement, columns and what we would call The Volume of the Sacred Law" (because we acknowledge that not religions use "The Bible") are out there in the public domain.

Copying the design of a piece of masonic regalia - what we would call a jewel - something basically in the form of a decorated shield could very well lead to copyright issues.

Oh trust me on this. Not every Freemason knows about watches which cost more than 50 units of your local currency and use a force other than electricity! And some of those who do "know about watches" might be gifted something modern and new by their partner/children/etc so compromise on their wrist or pocket timepiece.

If the OP's friend could be interested in pocket watches that opens up a big wide world of Masonic watch fobs both new and antique? Hope this helps.

propervinyl likes this.
  14. Wryfox Sep 20, 2018

Coming in late to the party here but just saw his thread....

Masons come in all shapes and sizes. It is an everymans organization, so inexpensive adornments are rather common.

Bulova is probably the largest producer of Masonic watches ever, both mechanical and quartz. And it wasn't just Masonic watches, Bulova made just about any organizations watch with whatever custom face they wanted. I think they still do...sort of their niche in the watch world.

The below is mine that my father gave me, and I have my grandfather's Shriners ring(he was Potentate), and also my great grandfathers ring from when he was raised in 1889. Talk about cool to wear that. I also have a printed book his lodge made covering the first 50 years of their history with his name in it. That I found on ebay, by accident.

In fact, my whole Masonic history was unknown to me. My father never spoke of it(i was a kid of course). My mother always referred to the lodge meetings as my fathers 'boys night'. That's it. It wasn't until I independently expressed interest in Freemasonry when I was living in Texas as an adult that I started looking into my own history. Pretty cool. When I asked my father why he never spoke of it, he said it was up to me to discover on my own, which I did. Then he gave me his watch.

Bulova mechanical 1976. And lest anyone think Bulova doesn't make good watches....the last pic shows regulation after 43 years.

20180920_064628.jpg 20180920_064700.jpg 20170906_141137.jpg

Edited Sep 20, 2018
    McKinley likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 20, 2018

My F-I-L was a Grand Poohbah (or whatever you call it) for one of these lodges. I know my M-I-L and my wife hated it because they were enslaved to cook/serve meals and such for the men on a pretty regular basis. He asked me to get involved at one point...hard pass!

I think my wife ended up getting the costume he wore, but she hated it all so much she tossed it. Would have made a good Halloween costume I think!

16. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 20, 2018

Ha ha, Grand Poobah...

fred-flintstone.jpg

Archer likes this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 20, 2018

I admit The Flintstones were a big part of my early childhood...:thumbsup:

18. Wryfox Sep 20, 2018

That's a shame really...but lodges in different locales operate differently. Here its state to state on bylaws and such, then district, then lodge to lodge on particulars. In our lodge, the Masonic Officers cook for their wives and everyone else visiting as a gesture of gratitude. As it should be actually. There's a great deal of time and effort for the charitable efforts of the lodge. Its a commitment for sure, but worthwhile although the family occasionally takes a back seat...so thanks are regularly needed. That's our view anyway.