Forums Latest Members
  1. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Apr 23, 2016

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...0051/lot-5d9f7536-6eca-4559-ac6a-a5e501092a07

I was outbid by 10% on this one...was hoping it would fly under the radar, but went for $9,300 incl BP (which I think is still a really good price that will look even better six months from now). Looks to be a super honest piece, purported to have been purchased as a present for the owner when he turned 21. Bezel is worn and it's not a safe queen, but overall I loved the condition and the original chamfers on the case are actually still present, which was the most appealing part of the example to me.

Hoping that whoever over-bid me was on OF and not a dealer. Cheers, CF

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

x3no, heypacha, GregH and 1 other person like this.
  2. OmegaCal66 Apr 23, 2016

It looked good apart from some dings, I got some better photos sent but they said the couldn't open it and didn't work so a big gamble for that money you think?

3. abrod520 Apr 23, 2016

Not the best dial I've ever seen, but it's really nice. With the bracelet included, this was an awesome pickup at the price IMO

4. heypacha Apr 23, 2016

Thank god I forgot about this auction, my hoarder instinct would have bought it for that price. I also noticed that the case was very nice, but wasn't sure about the dial. It appeared to be undamaged, but some of the plots looked wrong, maybe it was relumed?

I don't think anything goes under the radar on any auction covered by the saleroom or invaluable. There's more bidding frenzy on the real auctions than on anything on ebay.

Here's a link for a railmaster that went for $10500 couple of days ago (maybe it was the crudely written "provenance" on the caseback):

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...0060/lot-5b09ab6f-d216-4a8a-bb9f-a5d200cae5d3

and probably a 105.003(no photos of the caseback or movement) without a bezel that went for $8500 in January:

http://henryadamsfineart.co.uk/lot/21295

Edited Apr 23, 2016
  5. Davidt Apr 23, 2016

It's hard to be sure from those pics, viewing on a phone, but the dial and hands all look original to me.

In this market, I think that's a decent price.

Had that had more exposure on ebay or the like I think it might've gone higher.

heypacha likes this.
  6. jimik42 Apr 23, 2016

I was it might fly under the radar a bit as they described it as a 1970, so that only OF members may pick what it was.

Oh well......next time.

7. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Apr 23, 2016

When they said it "didn't work," it sounded like they shook it up like an automatic instead of winding it. Regardless, that wouldn't have swayed me from going after it, as whatever the issue was likely could have been corrected with a servicing. Given the general state of the watch, I don't suspect corrosion or wear is the issue.

I think with some Polywatch and better photography, it's gonna be a keeper. Would hate to see it show up with a dealer and a $13K price tag, but who knows...

Davidt, sky21, heypacha and 1 other person like this.
  8. sky21 Apr 23, 2016

Well since nobody has the serial number to totally prove its the same watch it'll probably be about 4-6 months before its relisted for about 50% higher. Enough time to service the movement, give it a nice cleaning, it'll probably be nearly impossible to tell its the same watch. Someone just scored big time most likely.

9. OmegaCal66 Apr 24, 2016

I have bought watches unopened before and been lucky I suppose I am just thinking I can't keep being lucky ;) Suppose if they had shown the movement and model it would have gone for more. Funny they charge all that money and can't afford a case opener!

heypacha likes this.
  10. robocaspar Apr 24, 2016

Hope someone here got it!