Forums Latest Members
  1. Edantony Aug 30, 2016

image.png image.png Hi all,

I was looking at the speedmaster Mark ii on Ebay, and comparing with speedy pro 145.022 they seem to have the same caliber- but go for half the price. Maybe I'm wrong and I'm missing something here?

The shape of the Mark ii's case is more distinctive, bulkier, but I can't help but wonder what drives the price spread between both watches.

I find many Marks at an affordable price from the 60s with beautiful patina for reasonable prices- but won't pull the trigger before trying on out on the wrist.

Anyhow, I was wondering what was your take on this and if your opinion the Mark II is underhyped vs the moonwatch.

Above are a couple of photos of some of those beautiful Mark IIs on ebay

2. uwsearch Aug 30, 2016

then you get the answer to all your questions..

Edantony likes this.
  3. WatchWarlock Aug 30, 2016

Well succinctly, one is the MOOOOON watch, while the other never quite made it there. There's alot of great online reading like this wonderful article I used to help my research and eventual acquisition: http://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday-vintage-speedmaster-mark-ii-buyers-advice/

Personally, I believe the Mark II to be undervalued and a great value proposition: vintage chrono, modern size, great lineage. However, it wears differently as the moonwatch (bulkier and unique case). Plus it doesn't have the same accolades/historical pedigree as the Speedy. Nonetheless I highly recommend one. But it won't be satiating your Speedy itch. Here's my 145.022 and 145.014 saying hi!

20160826_225719.jpg
    Edantony likes this.
  4. WatchVaultNYC Aug 30, 2016

Consider that a mint Mark II is under $2000 while a mint '71 Speedy is more than twice that - for what is arguably the same watch, the value proposition is mind-boggling.

Tet, WatchWarlock, Edantony and 2 others like this.
  5. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Aug 30, 2016

There's a few topics like this one on the forum - for a good reason.

Same 861 caliber indeed, closely related dials (which sometimes get modified to be fitted back and forth across both), similar name, etc...

But the Moonwatch gets a massive cult following - The MkII a lot less, although I am part of that latter church rather than the first one. It has a more distinctive feel (70's chunkiness, baby!), is a lot less common. On the other hand the speedy is like the 911, a design icon that has lived for half a century now.

I have to say I'd fancy a Japanese racing 2004 to nicely complement my MkII racing, as well as a 321-based one for the movement itself. But beyond this, I'm a bit like you, I'm missing the overall point on the rest of the "traditional" speedmaster range I guess. Although I have to admit it's growing on me...

Two completely different equities - and price points. Just pick the one you like better and respect other's choices - the market is always right in the end :)

Edantony likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 30, 2016

Ferrari Daytona (365 gtb4) vs 365gtc4 mechanically the same car, engine and chassis. Ones worth 4x the price of the other, the other is more rare and cheaper. One looks way better to most people.

I do prefer the GTC as I'm in the minority and dislike the Daytona.

Edited Aug 30, 2016
  7. rcs914 Aug 30, 2016

What's not to love about the 365gtb4??? :whistling:

[​IMG]

It's interesting, but I agree with you - if you compare the GTB and the GTC side by side, the GTC is unequivocally the better looking car. I assume that others don't like the front end gap, which is somewhat heinous compared to the front end of the GTB - but overall? I would rather have a GTC - looks better from every direction except the front.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Aug 30, 2016
    Foo2rama likes this.
  8. WatchWarlock Aug 30, 2016

Let's not forget that the Daytona was the first Ferrari on the moon! ;)

Tet and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  9. alam Aug 30, 2016

"Irrational exuberance" :p

I enjoy mine and don't find its perceived or actual "bulkiness" an issue. Agree, IMO these are a better value these days and don't look bad at all.

:)

image.jpeg
    Edited Aug 30, 2016
    ahartfie, Fordex and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  10. WatchVaultNYC Aug 30, 2016

I had a Mk2 coaxial once, and immediately sold it, as it wasn't better enough than a vintage Mk2 to justify the price difference.

11. rcs914 Aug 30, 2016

I really want a speedy pro with the Japanese racing dial, but I sure wouldn't refuse an original MkII with a racing dial ;-)

12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 30, 2016

Why 'vs'? Have one of each!

Edantony and Davidt like this.
  13. pascs Aug 30, 2016

I seldom wear my MKII's despite them being great looking watches. I find I wear my normal Speedmasters much more often

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ahartfie, rogart, alam and 1 other person like this.
  14. ATWG Aug 30, 2016

Two completely different watches, comparing apples to oranges in my opinion....they feel completely differently on the wrist. I personally have an affinity for the more bulky case watches which perfectly exemplify the era. I find myself wearing my MKII and collection of Flighmasters on a regular basis. I also own numerous Speedmasters, but for some reason they don't sing to me as loudly as the big blocks.....and yes, they are undervalued.

IMG_3861.JPG
    Dr No, tapaptpat, Edantony and 5 others like this.