Forums Latest Members
  1. HogWldFLTR Dec 25, 2014

This past summer I picked up a '69 Mark II at what I thought was a fair price. I decided that I wanted to overhaul it to make it more useful. The overhaul was to include service, detailing, glass replacement, bracelet rebuilding, and reluming. Here are the pictures of the watch as it was bought.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And following the refurbishment a few more pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having finally gotten it in wearable condition, it's clear that the relume wasn't completed (this will be rectified although I'm open to input on whether or not it is a good idea?). The first question is about the grey patina to the lume; is this common? If not, any ideas as to why?

The next question is to winding and power reserve. I've read that the power reserve is about 40 hours on the watch which means winding each day worn. Not having had a manual wind watch for a long time, the question is how to wind it without over winding? Just wind until resistance is felt? More to the point, can these be overwound easily if at all? Any input would be appreciated.

Finally, regarding the bracelet, I've seen the model on different bracelets and have some curiosity regarding the bracelet. I'd assume there really is one correct bracelet for a '69 Mark II. Is that true. I'm confident that this one is period correct but I'm curious as to what the correct bracelet is. I've done a lot of browsing trying to find out but with out a satisfactory answer.

Thanks,

Lee

Edited Dec 25, 2014
    rogart likes this.
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 25, 2014

Hi Lee,

I recently did the same job on a mark ii, but with racing dial.

I don't know enough to answer about the grey lume. Water damage maybe? On reluming in general, mostly a personal preference. Generally, reluming (or re- anything generally) are not all that desirable from a collectors standpoint, but if you want a watch you can see at night, then go for it.

On winding, you will feel it when the watch is fully wound. The crown won't turn easily anymore and you don't want to force it. I don't think they can be overwound, as long as you don't try to force it.

On the bracelet, I believe the original bracelet was 1162/173. I got a new one as part of the restore work on mine. Note that old 1162 bracelet parts are not compatible with new ones.

Watch looks great!

J

3. HogWldFLTR Dec 25, 2014

Thanks, the racing dial is a great looking dial and watch. I see a lot of those although they were scarcer in comparison to the black dialed ones. As far as the collectors and relumes on the model there just doesn't seem enough interest or value for that to make much of an impact. Seeing a watch at night is a real plus for me.

Edited Dec 25, 2014
  4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 25, 2014

I did the same - well, got a new dial and set of hands - for mine, for the same reasons.. it's not a collector piece, so I consider it more of an act of watchitarianism.. rescuing a piece that would otherwise not have a good life.

5. pascs Dec 25, 2014

The MKII came first with an 1159 bracelet which was replaced by the 1162. The 1159 is more scare and no longer produced, unlike the 1162. I have an 1159 for my MKII but am struggling to find the extra links for it to fit my wrist

Dial wise, I would be tempted to buy a new dial if you want good lume and also replace the hands with a new set to complete the look. A new dial would be about £100 and the hands about £50. A new racing dial is about twice the price.

When you wind the watch it should take about 70-80 turns to fully wind it but the resistance when its fully wound is obvious to feel. Its not a dead stop but you'll know when you get to it. Then just wind the watch once a day to fully wound, I dont think over winding is an issue, certainly I've never done it to any of mine

HogWldFLTR and oddboy like this.
  6. HogWldFLTR Dec 25, 2014

Well at this point the relume is free so I can wait on a new dial and wear it with the new paint for a while. Thanks for the helpful bracelet information; much appreciated!!!

-Lee