Forums Latest Members
  1. EdtheAussie Sep 4, 2017

Hey guys,

Thinking of putting in a few bids on this racing dial, as I have recently purchased my own mark II that has a special dial, which i may or may not be keeping on the watch.

Question is - there seems to be fluff or debris on the dial, could this be cleaned off?

upload_2017-9-4_20-42-10.png

Thanks,
    Edwin

Edited Sep 4, 2017
  2. Davidt Sep 4, 2017

Ah did you get the 105.012 dial on the mk2 yesterday?! I meant to bid on that and forgot!

EdtheAussie likes this.
  3. EdtheAussie Sep 4, 2017

I thought more people would have seen it, but lucky for me they didn't!

4. Davidt Sep 4, 2017

I was all prepped to go for that then I was out with the dog and my phone died.

Great catch. If I missed it, glad it went to someone here.

ConElPueblo and EdtheAussie like this.
  5. ConElPueblo Sep 4, 2017

Some of the dirt on the dial looks to be fibres that could easily be brushed off, other spots such as between 10 and 11 looks to be permanent. Really no way to tell before the dial is in your hands...

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 4, 2017

Most of it looks like surface debris, which can be very carefully cleaned off.

Don't let some idiot run the dial under tap water or do something equally stupid to clean it.

There are specific cleaning tools used for dials, and you have to treat it like the paint and lume are just barely hanging on, because sometimes they are and you never know until something flakes off. I would personally use a hand puffer to blow off the really loose stuff, then depending on what it looked like in person maybe use a dial brush next if it all looks very solid..maybe. Then carry on to use the Bergeon cleaning sticks to pick off each piece of debris individually. This isn't the place for shortcuts.

Cheers, Al

Etp095 likes this.