Forums Latest Members
  1. d4uk Jul 8, 2015

Hi All
    I just picked up a pretty beat up Mark II Speedy,
    and did originally have the intention of sending it off to STS for a full overhaul and conversion into a exotic/racing dial.
    Ie: full case refurb/new crystal/new dial new hands etc...

However:
    When I saw the detail pics of it from the Seller and especially when I got it in my hand this morning I can see that the case whilst having had a pretty hard life (with some pretty big 'dinks' is a good honest piece and doesn't look to have ever been polished. (star burst still visible under all the wear marks)
    its on a 1153/138 bracelet with 173 end links
    and is fully working and holding time.. (not had it long enough to test accuracy yet)

My Plans would be therefore to simply get it serviced maybe a new pusher cover - (although I have an original spare one at home) and a new crystal and tachy ring.

Would that be the best concensous? afterall I already have an original Racing Dial Mark II so this being the black face would be a nice alternative.

Or would anyone be tempted to give the case a light refinish?
    Only other query is the Tachy Sweeping hand - I've not seen enough old ones to know the answer.
    It's quite bright compared to the main hour and second hands - is this because it's only got the tritium painted tip?
    or is it likely to have been replaced in the past?

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Misterred Jul 8, 2015

Love the Speedmaster Mark II watch. It is so good a watch. I have the racing dial edition myself. If I were you I would not change this one you just acquired into a racing dial edition. You already have one of those.

I don't mind all dents on your case I must say. It's a tool watch, it's around 45 years old, it adds character. But I would start with replacing crystal and bezel. That will make a huge difference. Sweeping hand seems quite bright on your pictures. Could very well have been replaced in the past.

Please show the end result!

3. davidswiss Jul 8, 2015

Dial and hands look ok. Crystal, pushers and a service should do it. If you want the case refinished you can always do it later if you want.

4. d4uk Jul 8, 2015

thanks guys - yes its pretty much as you say - planning on just a service, crystal, tachy ring and the pusher.
    Dial is lovely and grey/brown
    yes those pics from this morning in the office under the high lux lights do make the sweeping hand appear much brighter.. but in truth it doesn't look as much of a contrast to the name eye.. (maybe it will once the new crystal is installed)

Just reattached the bracelet to the case (and it's just the right size) and fitted a use pusher cover and it looks great
    I think I love it's honest patina
    Timekeeping hasn't been bad today - maybe -30 secs over the last 10 hours so it'll be off to STS shortly.

I think I'll leave the case because i agree it's a tool watch and one with these marks of life are easier worn as an everyday piece without the worry of adding scratches or more marks.. which is certainly the issue with my refurbed case on my other mark II

Feel really happy with what was a fairly impulsive/unplanned purchase.

5. Geordie Jul 8, 2015

Pusher class and a good buff up. It will look great.

6. d4uk Jul 8, 2015

what's the format for identifying the year from the movement serial number in these Mark II's this is a 3285XXXX

7. Geordie Jul 8, 2015

8. d4uk Jul 8, 2015

thanks I've read that in the past and always understood these tables being more relevant to the 145.022 861 movements rather than the 145.014 models..

Although I guess they all used the exact same movements so a 32XXXXXX in a Mark II should in theory be from the same year as a similar 32XXXXXX serial in a Moonwatch

is that the case?

if so then according the Roman Hartmann's table
    http://www.chronomaddox.com/romans.html
    the 32XXXXXX should be 1973/74 ish...?

9. Geordie Jul 8, 2015

I will leave that answer up to the vets. But I'm guessing high-end watches are not sold like a Timex and could stay in stock for a couple of years.

10. d4uk Jul 9, 2015

hi Geordie
    yes I understand that especially the way Omegas where assembled that the serial is only a loose dating guide

11. Misterred Jul 9, 2015

1973/74 seems to be right. Could be sold a couple of years later.