Forums Latest Members

Manual winding issue on Speedmaster 9300

1. Probably Aug 4, 2019

Hi,

I am quite a new guy here but has been reading and learning in the forum for months.

During a recent trip to Japan, I purchased a lovely brand new Speedmaster co-axial with 9300 movement, Ti case, blue ceramic bazel and blue allegator strap. It is such a beautiful watch and a incredibly great deal from the shop.

As the watch enables the manual wind, as a vehicle engineer of course I would like to prolong as much as possible by using in the most correct way, so I currently manual wound every day since purchasing. (3 days till now).

The only problem is, currently I don't know whether for this dual winding movement, do they have a mechanism really to notify/alarm you after fully manual winded? Currently most of the time I only wind 20-30 turns everyday in case I overturned. But after some searches today knowledge from the SpeedPro, I happen to know there should be a real dead-end design which you couldn't rotate anymore. However, after over 50 turns trial today on mine, it seems like it could still move smoothly.

And actually every rotate I can hear a little click sound, for me sounds like I just give one-time momentum to the gears, not like the over rotate clutch sound...

Can anybody help me with that? Or simply share the experience it would also be highly appreciate!

Many thanks for all.

2. Slowpoker Aug 4, 2019

Alright, I'll take a stab at this.

Firstly welcome to the Forum, it's always great to see new people joining up and sharing their experiences and knowledge. Congratulations on the timepiece, I'm sure a couple of photos would allow us to see its beauty too.

Secondly I think you're looking at this manual winding the wrong way. It's not the very same manual wind a speedy pro would have. The crown doesn't feel tighter on the Co-Axial as you reach the 60hr reserve.

That's because it's an automatic and thus has a slipping mechanism to stop any potential overwind, whether that's from the crown or the rotor. If the crown is clicking with every rotation I think its fully wound. Either that or if you listen very closely there may be a very faint sound that relates to the clutch slipping.

Try to refrain from manually winding your watch every day. From what I've heard its winding mechanism isn't as robust as a Speedy pro and thus you could be wearing it out. Just wear it and let the movement do the rest.

Foo2rama and connieseamaster like this.
  3. tyrantlizardrex Aug 4, 2019

From the user manual - "Occasional winding: if the watch has not been worn for 60 hours or more, wind it up with the crown in position 1" - sounds like you don't need to wind it manually if you're wearing it.

Worth reading this thread where the way the movement works is explained by @Archer - https://omegaforums.net/threads/9300-winding-question.33201/

4. AntonisCy Aug 4, 2019

If you wear your watch daily there is no reason to manually wind it. And on the 9300 the crown will keep winding forever ( to protect the mechanism of over winding ) but you will hear an audible click when the movement is fully wound. You cant damage the movement but there is no reason in winding the crown until you fingers hurt.

chronos and jcmartinez98 like this.
  5. Probably Aug 4, 2019

Thanks very much for your nice words. I still need to figure out how to post the pics.
    As I also checked the pic, the 2 gear are working together that's why I have thought it would be good to run both some time in case all the lubricant could be evenly distributed and also to pre-condition both gears.

But I think you are right, it is not mainly purpose design for this, I also think it is the clutch release sound...Hopefully the design is robust enough for my mis-use :(.

I will then give up manually wound and will leave it as it is as also intially the watch I chose is also due to the good reliability feedback.

6. Probably Aug 4, 2019

Thanks very much. Actually I noticed that but didn't really dive into all the replies. But I know I won't manually wind the watch any more...

7. Probably Aug 4, 2019

Good to know. Hopefully the safety factor is quite high and the initial design already cover the mis-use occastions like what I was doing...
    I will stick to your advice and leave it as it should be.

Hduck likes this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 4, 2019

The only time you should need to wind it, is when it has stopped. Wind it 40 times to get it going, then wear it, and as long as you keep wearing it there's no need to wind it manually anymore.

9. Probably Aug 4, 2019

Thanks for the info. Exactly I will follow in the future.

10. Hduck Sep 26, 2019

I just ran across this thread after recently joining, and sadly not knowing before submitting a a new thread on the 9300 and its winding.

To delve just a bit more, when manually winding the movement, I see the Barrel One moving under the sapphire back. As much as I wind, I never see the second Barrel move. Is the second Barrel attached to the rotor, wind internally, or need service?