Forums Latest Members
  1. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Dec 8, 2017

The latest design iteration seems to get little attention on this forum yet has been around for 40 years and thus has already become an iconic design. Obviously there continues to be enough demand for the design as I'd suspect it would otherwise have long been discontinued. I've heard some argue its the small size but yet they're the same case size as our beloved pie pans. I've not heard any issues with the movement within these watches. The integrated bracelet? I can't see how the bracelet is significantly less attractive than the RO/ROO's integrated bracelet. Is it possibly because it hasn't achieved the "vintage" status? What are your thoughts?

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 8, 2017

That the majority of these watches had quartz movements. As a result, many collectors won't touch them regardless of how nice it looks.

Here's a nice article on these:

http://download1077.mediafire.com/14dls2ehckwg/gtfclg39xja0fck/Omega+Constellation+Manhattan_V3.pdf

If I could find a mechanical cal. 1111 version in good condition for a reasonable price, I would buy one.
    gatorcpa

Rasputin likes this.
  3. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Dec 8, 2017

I understand your point regarding the quartz versions but many have automatic movements with the more recent ones containing a co-axial movement.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 8, 2017

The "more recent ones" are still depreciating. They will level off eventually and may be a collectible of tomorrow.

Like I said, find me an early 1980's mechanical version and I'm a buyer. Unfortunately, the few I've seen are being offered (and usually not sold) for crazy money.
    gatorcpa

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 8, 2017

These are Omega,s bread and butter watches in SEAsia and Dubai.
    All of these sell by the truck loads in China. ( if I had a $ for every Chinese buisness man that came through the airport wearing one :whistling: )

See so many of these on older folks (males and females) coming of cruise boats and usually both have one.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 8, 2017

Rumor is a Manhattan LE only available in NYC like the Venice edition from last year in 2018.

7. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Dec 9, 2017

This can apply to several other references too esp Datejusts for older folk and the Submariners for the younger generation. Observationally I don’t see anywhere near as many Manhattan Connies in the US relative to these two references. Obviously those in SE Asia and Dubai find the Manhattan to be popular for a reason the West does not. It begs the question why.

Besides this thread needs a photo. I can’t recall the last time I saw one of these posted on OF:

93A90A25-3EE1-4884-8DBB-6D6897907277.jpeg
    Edited Dec 9, 2017
    Tako Yaki, gwzymytk and peatnick like this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 9, 2017

Size for the Asian,older population I would say. ( as younger rich Chinese are renowned for big watches )
    Also speaking to many Chinese, Rolex is out of favour due to fakes been so prolific. Was speaking to a young Chinese captain on a bulk carrier and he mentioned Tag being the choice of 20-30yo due to anyone can buy a fake Rolex ( like all there uncles wear :whistling: )

9. BenBagbag Dec 9, 2017

Let's be careful not to get into stereotyping here...

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 9, 2017

No stereotypes, all accounts are from actual conversations and observations.
    Have several Luxe watch magazines with articles of the larger watches being bought by young entrepreneurs. And have worked at a international airport for many years

JimInOz and BenBagbag like this.