Forums Latest Members
  1. tomvox1 Jul 5, 2019

Hello all,
    Been meaning to post this for a while by way of thanks.
    So I had this ref. 166.073 SM 120 blue that I liked and wore in my regular rotation. Always thought it had an unusual dial variation -- matte finish, small print -- until I posted it here for the knowledge base.

Seamaster120DeepBlue-1 copy.JPG

Turns out, as @uwsearch and @OmegaRolex pointed out after I posted it, that the dial is a complete redial -- note the telltale notch at "3" when out of the case among other irregularities. I had never really researched these Deep Blue dials properly due to the way I acquired the watch (not a straight purchase where I would normally do more thorough due diligence).

SM120BlueRedial-front3 copy.JPG SM120BlueRedial-bk2.JPG

So I set about making it right. Luckily Tritium dials for these can still be found at relatively reasonable prices, though probably not for too much longer. I did have to settle for a modern (longer minute) Lumi handset, as these are pretty much exactly the same hands as on the SM 300 165.024/166.024 and so harder to find at a decent price. Still I am quite happy with the results and once you see the tone and luster of these glossy Deep Blue dials in person there's no mistaking them for any others.

SM120Blue-new.JPG

So thank you very much to the fellows who set me straight and to Omega Forums in general and the Vintage Omega sub-forum in specific. It's a great resource and this little adventure proves once again that no matter how long you've been in the hobby you never stop learning. And also to check stuff with this great community whenever you have any questions whatsoever -- someone here will have the right answers! :thumbsup:
    Thanks again & all the best,
    Tom

Jegger, OmegaRolex, Dash1 and 7 others like this.