Forums Latest Members

Major Rolex AD Accused Of Racketeering And Selling Directly To Grey Market

1. Jockywilson1 Feb 18, 2021

Rolex is all about the brand. People get annoyed that they can’t buy the brand they want by walking into a shop and walking away with a Daytona. It’s chicken and egg, if everyone who wanted a Rolex could buy one then the brand would be as strong and they wouldn’t want it (generally speaking).

you can’t have it both ways, either is want to feel special or you want easy accessibility.

2. Dries Feb 18, 2021

It's a bit weird Rolex seems to have nailed this strategy for their models, but with Tudor, if you can wait 6-12 months after release, even the desired models can be had easily.

Or would this be on purpose?

3. Jockywilson1 Feb 18, 2021

They sort of managed it with the Black Bay 58, especially the black but it comes down to brand recognition again. The Tudor brand just doesn’t have the same allure even if on the face of it they make very fine watches.

4. wouter van wijk Feb 18, 2021

I tend to agree but also disagree here since I think there is also a maximum amount that people are willing to pay as a premium. Price elasticity has its limits. When I see a guy with a new pepsi on a social event I ask him how the hack did you get that piece. My judgement will be positively : he is or very well connected! Or negatively: a complete wanker that paid 10k over list. Thats not envy but thats a real honest thought. At a sudden point you get a maximum to the spread of grey market price versus retail.

But there are other reasons too. Some of my clients and some collectors I have spoken to are actually selling their modern as well as vintage rolex pieces. Some due to the big increase here in The Netherlands of robberies. Others who are old school collectors who tell me that for them a 5513 is just a 3k watch and they don't give a sh*t about all the little differences anymore. A bit been there done that also. But they then tell me that also some of the fun is out of the hobby, bit of nostalgia.

What @Rado63 say here makes really sense
    I ve heard from an AD about last year sales. He told me it were the national clients that saved 2020. They always sold the majority of their stock to tourists from Asia. Now they serve their local clientele whom they actually neglected and find quite troublesome since they all are a bit time consuming... (they all want to drink champagne). It took them 6 weeks instead of 4 to sell all their stock. It would not surprise me that the majority of this precious metal stock is sold to grey dealers and flippers cause their aren't that many people over here that wear gold models. All these basket buyers will drop their pieces on the international market and they will find their way to a new home anyways.

Big questions is this whole lawsuit is if Rolex cares and should get even more control on their distribution; as a brand should you tolerate or even stimulate basket buyers since this is a major trigger for the grey market. Some say they don't care about the grey market cause they sell out anyways. I dare to think different since Rolex is in it for the long run. These kind of events can be a tipping point since it reveals to a wider more mainstream public what all the watch insiders already knew for ages. It gives some inside in how some of the bad ADs work and that's not in line with the brand image. Rolex is not like Richemont whose shareholders deman high short term ROI. They are more like PP with the Stern family who just say we don't want the hype for the SS 5711, let's do something different (although the hype with the nautilus successor will even get bigger of course). It's their way to make a point that the PP Crown Jewels are complicated watches and that they don't want to rely on the same kind of posts from instafamous bloggers or traders and flippers. I can't belief that if you are working as top manager for Rolex and you arrive at an airport in Geneva, then walk to the Rolex store on a A1 location and you see no items in the windows, that you will be very proud of it. Fact is that there are a lot of pieces available on the open market but they are not available on places where Rolex is in control. Lets hope that this little lawsuit episode should be a bit of wake up call for Rolex cause when shit hits the fan..

thelinendial, marcn, sxl2004 and 2 others like this.
  5. cvalue13 Feb 18, 2021

Do you think it’s a wake up call because (A) Rolex is discovering for the first time that an AD allegedly sold to the grey market, or (B) because the suit is for the first time publicly airing alleged possibility that an ADs sell to grey market?

I find it hard to believe (A), and (B) doesn’t seem much of a wake-up type event (haven’t forums been alive with this rumor for a few years?)

Separately, on the point of “watch nerds” vs “real people”: on a global scale, Nike sells and profits most from regular “dad shoes” but in part because a halo around the brand from unobtainable collectible models worn by athletes and die-hard collectors, made in limited runs.

While footwear and luxury mechanical watches aren’t perfectly analogous, the point is: We should suspect of believing that on a global scale Rolex doesn’t mostly sell (by volume and profit) lady DJs, precious DJs, and other versions of “dad shores.”

6. YY77 Feb 18, 2021

https://www.parool.nl/nieuws/juwelier-schaap-en-citroen-vrijgesproken-van-fraude~b3f4d3f0/

The Amsterdam jeweler Schaap en Citroen has been cleared of forgery and tax fraud. The 54-year-old watch dealer Tom de V., with whom the jeweler is said to have worked, has been sentenced to five months in prison for tax fraud.

Het Parool 7 June 2019, 17:20

The branch of Schaap en Citroen in the P.C. Hooftstraat IMAGE GOOGLE STREETVIEW
    The court ruled this week. The Public Prosecution Service (OM) demanded that the jewelry chain pay a fine of 500,000 euros for fraud. The jeweler was also suspected of not having reported a controversial cash payment at the head office in Diemen. In doing so, the chain would have violated the law to prevent money laundering (Wwft).

The court does not consider it proven that the jeweler committed fraud. The court ruled that the jeweler did not report the unusual transactions to the Financial Intelligence Unit too late, but that this is not the same as not reporting at all. That was the charge of the OM.

The 54-year-old broker Tom de V. is convicted of tax fraud. The OM demanded a prison sentence of fifteen months, five of which are suspended. The court considers it proven that he did not file a sales tax return for his sole proprietorship for the first quarter of 2011. He had previously been convicted of violating sales tax rules. The court takes this into account in the sentence and sentenced him to 5 months in prison.

wouter van wijk, MTROIS and vitriol like this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 18, 2021

#DaytonaLife

MTROIS, JwRosenthal and cvalue13 like this.
  8. JwRosenthal Feb 18, 2021

Those who don’t live with Bakelite bezels that are 40 years out of production don’t understand- ceramic Daytona owners are pussies.
    #unobtanium
    28E26A45-29A6-4F11-BED0-CD597ADFCF01.jpeg
    Oh, and SNORKEL

9. cvalue13 Feb 18, 2021

I’ve seen you wearing that Bakelite, and you’re no Jack Kennedy ;)

upload_2021-2-18_11-11-10.jpeg

wsfarrell and JwRosenthal like this.
  10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 20, 2021

thelinendial and SpikiSpikester like this.
  11. vitriol Apr 24, 2021

Any news?

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 24, 2021

Not that I'm aware of, but if I had to guess the outcome (given what may come out in court), it will be a settlement with an air tight NDA.

Scarecrow Boat, Lonestar and Foo2rama like this.
  13. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Apr 24, 2021

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/illinois/ilndce/1:2021cv00775/396016

here is an updated chronology for those with spare time

Read a couple articles that provide the view that the plaintiff is just out for a quick buck with her outrageous claims. CD Peacock is fine well respected watch merchant. Impeccable standards and pure as the new driven snow. However the defense was quick to demand the plaintiffs complaint was sealed lest the supporting information related to the allegations see the light of day.

Edited Apr 24, 2021
    Lonestar and vitriol like this.
  14. vitriol Apr 24, 2021

Presumable yes. Given the volume of info revealed to the public due to this case, seems there is a fair share of spilled milk already.

15. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Apr 24, 2021

Nasty plaintiff... Such claims can't be true ... right?:D

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 24, 2021

For the record. Outside of the alleged money laundering there was no laws broken.

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 24, 2021

::confused2::

It is generally against the law to fire a whistleblower.

So, I’m not exactly sure what you mean here.
    gatorcpa

18. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 24, 2021

My point was a Rolex AD can sell to whomever they want at whatever price they want.

19. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Apr 24, 2021

From official Rolex Jeweler Agreement. This kinda indicates they cannot sell to anyone they please. Just my feeble interpretation

3. RETAIL SALES ONLY. Jewelers will sell Rolex products only to
    ultimate consumers, at the retail level, in transactions that
    originate over-the-counter at its authorized location(s). All
    other methods of the sale (except for Rolex-approved
    corporate/presentation sales) are considered transshipping. Rolex
    is the sole distributor of Rolex watches in the United States.
    Rolex has not authorized any ORJ or any other person to act as a
    wholesaler or subdistributor; therefore, any transshipment of
    Rolex watches, even if unintentional, is prohibited. ORJs may not
    sell watches to customers referred from outside their local
    market area (unless the sale is transacted in person at an
    authorized location), nor may they pay a feel for any referrals.

greyfox422 and wsfarrell like this.
  20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 24, 2021

That is incorrect. They could lose their ability to sell Rolex watches. That is a matter between the AD and Rolex. Your statement is correct for a grey market dealer, though.

As I understand it, the civil lawsuit is regarding unlawful termination for pointing out the AD’s violation of the dealer agreement. I’m not sure if these alleged violations will be much of an issue here, because this is going to be settled out of court.
    gatorcpa

Foo2rama likes this.