Forums Latest Members

Mainspring change with every service?

1. Jonatan Mar 22, 2016

Hey folks,

I'm sending two Universal Geneve Polerouters to get serviced at a new watchmaker and he mentioned that he always encourages to change the mainspring. He said he would try to get original parts but I don't think that :
    1) UG mainsprings can still be found?
    2) Does it really matter if it's not original?

I will also have to get the original glass changed since it's cracked!

Have you run into similar suggestions regarding the mainspring change?

Thanks for your input.

2. ulackfocus Mar 22, 2016

1) Mainsprings do not require changing at every service.
    2) Plenty of substitute generic parts from reputable manufacturers are available.
    3) Mainsprings (and crystals) are usually considered to be normal wear items and most collectors accept replacements. It's nice if the watch is 100% original, but nobody ever died over a normal wear item being replaced during service.

OMGRLX likes this.
  3. Canuck Mar 22, 2016

If your Polerouter is the Buren movement with the microrotor, these watches are ~ 50 years old. If the mainspring is the original spring, it would be smart to change it. However, how can one tell if it is an original part? You probably can't. If the mainspring is replaced during the repair, expect the repair shop to guarantee the spring, and labor, if the new spring breaks. If you trust the shop with the repair, why not trust him to do what he deems to be right. If he was to do the repair and re-use the original spring at your insistence, and if it were to break later on, expect to have to pay parts and labor to change the spring! It is very unlikely it would be covered by the repair warranty. If the spring is replaced as part of the repair, it will be covered by the warranty, and it will be cheaper to do during the repair than it would be to do it later on, if it breaks. As to original vs. after-market springs? Most movement manufacturers out-sourced their springs anyway, so it really doesn't make any difference, as long as the specs are the same as original.

Darlinboy likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 22, 2016

A competent watchmaker would make the decision after inspecting the parts after cleaning. If the spring has not set or is undamaged and the watch is only worn occasionally it may not get changed. I know of one watchmaker who replaces most mainsprings at every service.

So many variables, leave it up to him to decide.

5. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Mar 22, 2016

Mainspring is expendable...nobody should care if its been replaced. Im about as anal as they come for originality and don't look at the mainspring as original or not.

If the watchmaker is doing a complete service to the watch and you don't know the service history it makes total sense to replace this at the same time.

Jonatan likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 22, 2016

I change the mainspring in every watch I service. In my opinion it makes no sense to spend several hundred dollars on a service and use a relatively inexpensive part like a mainspring over again.

The only exception I make is if I can't find a new spring of the same type or dimensions, but that is a rare situation.

The mainspring is the engine of the watch...ensuring it will provide smooth and even power to the train is the start of a good service in my view. Even if you ensure it has no wear spots, is not set, and is flat, you can't always see weak spots that might fail. I see enough mainsprings that fail in service that I really think that replacing them is a "best practice" and this is what every brand service centre does.

All my customers are fine with this and I let them know up front this is my policy. It's rare that anyone has an issue with it, and when I explain my reasoning no one has ever said they didn't want it changed.

Cheers, Al

Jonatan, pascs, destroid and 4 others like this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 22, 2016

:thumbsup:

Just the man I was talking about.

8. Jonatan Mar 23, 2016

Thank you for the info
    As I mentioned it's my first time sending watches to this new watchmaker and watches will be opened today. He just wrote to me and said that he thinks it's a good idea to change the mainspring with every service. The two other watchmakers I had used never mentioned changing the mainspring and this is why I was inquiring. I hope they changed it and just didn't mention it.

Could not changing the mainspring explain the limited power reserve? Under 30 hours.

Yes, doing a complete service and I have no idea of the service history on both watches. One was bought two weeks ago and the second I've had for over a year and just last week it stopped. When I wanted to fix the time, the hour hand wouldn't move anymore.