Forums Latest Members
  1. Maganator Dec 14, 2016

What is the general consensus on these? I have followed them for awhile but never pulled the trigger until now. I do have a bit of a soft spot for some of the micro-brands...

I have just paid the deposit/pre-order for the Moana Pacific Professional Steel - due to be released in February. At 44mm she'll be the biggest watch I have ever owned - if I am being honest I am a little concerned about the size. Only 500 being made and a bargain at $545. I love the look of the brushed steel case and bezel. http://www.magrette.com/the-timepieces-moana-pacific-professional-steel.php

Anyone owned/own a Magrette?

All of the images are taken from their website as the watch hasn't been released yet.

mpp-steel-12-2.jpg mpp-steel-3.jpg mpp-steel-4.jpg mpp-steel-8.jpg mpp-steel-14.jpg mpp-black-crown (1).jpg
  2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Dec 14, 2016

I'm a sucker for dive watches. That's a nice looking watch and how can you go wrong for that price? Would like to read your thoughts once you've worn it for a while.

Maganator likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 14, 2016

They seem solid at that price point. How many fly by night guys out there make not as well built ugly watches with that same movement and sell them for more? How many miyota movements with quality sell at 1k plus?

I see them like Seiko punching above their price range with a solid product. I've only read good reviews on them. Too me the are a modern good looking alternative to Panari. Not a fan of their otherline based on cars.

Edited Dec 14, 2016
    Maganator likes this.
  4. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 14, 2016

Shouldn't give you any concerns. I have a Dual Time and it gets a good amount of wear:thumbsup:
    IMG_20160822_114009.jpg

Maganator, ahartfie and Foo2rama like this.
  5. Maganator Dec 15, 2016

Yeah they certainly look solid and well built. I'm looking forward to it arriving!

I think the price point is great. If it looks and feels as good as I hope it will I certainly agree that it will really be punching.

I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives!

6. Sanmilc Dec 15, 2016

I like Magrette, they had a BIG problem in 2011 when they sold a Bronze watch but deliver a Brass case (I love Brass but it was supposed to be Bronze), but they gave the option to their customers of keep the watch (brass) or change the case for a new Bronze case so I think it was a honest mistake, they blame the case supplier.

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 15, 2016

Man I'm thinking way to much about the grey pro. 2 things are stopping me. The outer dial trackk with the wierd 5 minute markers, and I'm concerned how it will look. Square tall cases do not fit my wrist well. (Looks at the Monaco). I guess I could go try on a Panari to check...

Always wanted a brass watch...

EDIT

2k Posts!!!!!

Edited Dec 15, 2016
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 16, 2016

I like the watches generally. The movement is what I have issues with, and specifically getting parts for it. Parts are just not really available (you might find a new stem if you are lucky), so if there's a problem, you are either chucking the watch, or installing a new movement. As long as you go in knowing about such limitations and are okay with it, then buy away as far as I'm concerned. But I would have issues spending too much on a watch with essentially a disposable movement. I can say if they offered watches with ETA 2824's or something, I would likely own one by now.

Helson and Benarus had the same issues, and I believe around the same time, so you can likely surmise they all use the same case supplier...

Some went further than others in compensating their customers. I think the brands all recovered from this pretty well, and some other problems their watches have suffered.

Cheers, Al

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  9. ulackfocus Dec 16, 2016

Of the start-up boutique dive watches, they're one of the better values. As Al mentions above, I'd be much happier if they used ETA calibers but that would probably drive the price up.

10. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Dec 16, 2016

@Archer got me thinking. A quick trawl of this site http://www.perrinwatchparts.com/default.aspx and a price comparison of their costs for a Miyota 9015 @ $91.09 CAD -v- an ETA 2824-2 @ $245.62 CAD might well indicate that it would be more cost effective to replace the whole movement than try to repair individual elements of the Miyota.

But as mine does not have a display caseback, it wouldn't be an issue for me.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 16, 2016

Cost effective, if the movements remain readily available. For whatever reason, the Japanese companies tend to discontinue movements at a far more rapid pace than the Swiss do. The 2824 has been around for decades, and will be for decades more. Not so sure the same can be said about the 9015.

In terms of technical specifications, on paper even the lowest grade of 2824-2 is far superior to the 9015 with regards to timekeeping - average daily rate tolerance of the Standard grade 2824-2 is +/- 12 seconds (24 second spread), where the 9015 is -10 to +30 (40 second spread).

Certainly I have no doubt that both can do better than specs (I know that's the case for the ETA movements) but IMO these movements are not on the same level in terms of quality.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 16, 2016

Any thoughts on the new swatch movements STP? Magrette moved to them and Zodiac ( owned by fossil) use them.