Forums Latest Members
  1. Peecmkr Apr 10, 2016

so I've seen several posts advising not to expose your watch to IPADS. Are we talking not wearing the watch while using them or more like not laying the watch on or near them when the watch is off your wrist?

2. dx009 Apr 10, 2016

Here's the thing. (some) Watches can get magnetized when around certain electric/magnetic objects, such as audio speakers. Usually, they can get magnetized if placed on said objects, or really really close.

To be honest, I doubt a watch would get magnetized if placed near or on an ipad. I placed a watch on a laptop once, close to the speakers (which are obviously larger than those of an ipad) and nothing happened.

But just to be sure, if you have an old, vintage, fragile watch it is best to be careful.

3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Apr 10, 2016

I've never had an issue.

4. Peecmkr Apr 10, 2016

Thanks guys I have a PO titanium with the Si14 so it has some protection.

5. Cosd Apr 10, 2016

I think it might be more with the magnetic cover on iPads. Their magnets are reasonably strong. An expert here will have to advise if it would affect your watch.

nickw and Maximus84 like this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 10, 2016

Yes, it's the cover. I have had at least 2 people bring me watches that were magnetized after sitting them on the cover. If you look up one of those disassembly sites that show how serviceable electronics are, they showed one cover disassembled and it had something like 21 magnets in it...

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. sky21 Apr 10, 2016

So Archer what would be your expert advice on watches and iPad covers? Don't lay them directly on top of the cover, or something more restrictive than that? Thank you.

8. Peecmkr Apr 10, 2016

So simply holding it while using shouldn't be a problem?

9. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 10, 2016

easy, throw out the iPad.... buy more watches

CanberraOmega and Peecmkr like this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 10, 2016

I'm typing this reply on my iPad (with magnetic cover) while wearing my Speedmaster, so using an iPad is not a problem. Keep in mind that distance from the magnet v field strength is not a linear one (inverse cube from memory...its been a while since I looked at this so don't quote me on that) so as long as you don't lay your watch right on top of the cover, I think you will be fine.

Cheers, Al

SamQue and Deafboy like this.
  11. sky21 Apr 10, 2016

Thanks Al, as I'm also typing this reply on my iPad while wearing my Speedmaster. That's good to hear.

12. Peecmkr Apr 10, 2016

Thanks!

13. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 10, 2016

Not that I really care about quartz watches, I keep a couple for rough wear and as something to set the mechanicals off (because, like it or lump it they're ACCURATE!) but are they bothered by magnetism?

14. Peecmkr Apr 10, 2016

I'm typing this while performing maintenance on the Hadron Collider and my PO says I've gone 4 years into the future

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 11, 2016

So @Archer is there a test you can do to check if your watch is magnetised like placing near a orienteering compass.

May have asked before but still on med,s ;)

16. adrienbelanger Apr 11, 2016

This happened to me a few weeks ago - out of nowhere my Mark II Speedmaster suddenly started gaining one HOUR per day, even the chronograph function was running at +5 seconds per minute. It kept time perfectly until the day it just went crazy, my guess is it got magnetised. Funny thing is I can't figure out for the life of me how it happened.

17. dx009 Apr 11, 2016

@Fritz - quartz watches usually are safe from magnetizing but there are probably some movements that might get affected by it.

@STANDY - yes, that is one DIY way of testing whether a watch is magnetized, but probably does not always work. The easiest and best way to see if it's magnetized is by checking how it keeps time. A magnetized watch should complete 60 seconds (1 minute) in less than 60 seconds (45 seconds, 50 seconds, etc.). You can just time it and this should tell if it's magnetized or not.

@adrienbelanger - was the watch dropped ? Maybe you went through an area with strong magnetic fields, power lines, things like that ?

18. adrienbelanger Apr 11, 2016

@dx009 - it was getting some pretty heavy wrist time so could have been any number of things, but it definitely wasn't dropped. Not the iPad cover either because I haven't used mine in awhile...not exposed to speakers or anything like that either.

I will send it in for a service, but am annoyed because I have no idea what caused the problem, so there is every chance it will happen again in a few months!

I thought one of the few advantages of the Mark II was that it had a bigger, badder, tougher case, but maybe the moonwatch had it right all along and a simple anti-magnetic dust cover was just what the doctor ordered.

19. dx009 Apr 11, 2016

Do you know that you can get demagnetizers from stores and off the internet for as little as 10$ ? They're really worth it.
    Also, since your watch is a newer model, doesn't it use one of those metals (for the hair spring) or materials (such as silicone I believe) that isn't magnetic ?

20. adrienbelanger Apr 11, 2016

@dx009 - thanks, I'll check out the demagnetisers. Have you ever used one? I wonder whether it is really that simple a problem to fix but am willing to try.

Not sure I would call this watch "newer" though - it's from 1971!! Perhaps someone who knows these things can confirm whether Mark IIs were made with antimagnetic properties?