Forums Latest Members
  1. calalum Jun 10, 2016

Does magnetism impact manual wind and automatic watches equally? If I am travelling and have watches in my bag next to a laptop and ipad, is that a big problem? Hard to keep them separate if I only have one bag.

Thanks all.

2. ulackfocus Jun 10, 2016

Magnetism has to do with the hairspring more than anything else, so your answers are:

Yes, it does affect all mechanical watches equally regardless of automatic or manual wind.

Yes, keeping watches in a bag with your laptop will probably affect them.

3. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jun 10, 2016

hmmm, I wasn't aware of this...I always keep mine in the same bag as my laptop and never had an issue.
    What part of the laptop causes the magnetism?

I thought it was the opposite...the laptop (or rather the drive and screen) are affected by magnetism.

4. micampe Jun 10, 2016

Speakers. Some also have magnets to keep them closed; MacBooks have them in the bezel at the top of the screen and where you rest your wrists. I don’t think they are powerful enough to significantly affect the watches unless they are exactly on the right spot for a long time, but I haven’t tested or measured this.

Many tablets also have magnets to attach covers or accessories. I believe these can have stronger effects, more powerful magnets closer to the surface.

CajunTiger likes this.
  5. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jun 10, 2016

::facepalm2::