Forums Latest Members

Magnetic Resistance - Omega Seamaster 2500D

1. ChopGun Jul 23, 2016

Hi folks,

I'm in the market for my first Swiss watch and have my heart set on a Seamaster Diver 300m Co-Axial in Black. Having looked at many others this is my vastly preferred design.

The only thing stopping me handing over my hard-earned is the magnetic resistance of this watch. I do use an iPad on a frequent (daily) basis, and can imagine that the amount of magnetic fields the watch will be exposed to over the next decades to be ever-increasing.

My dilemma is this - should I wait until the Diver models are replaced with the 8500-series movements with >15k Gauss protection, or take the plunge with the current model? What are the consequences of having a watch magnetised, and what is the likelihood for an office worker who reads an iPad?

2. _Omega_ Jul 23, 2016

I work in the tech sector and have never had my 2500's compromised. If it did happen, it's easy to demagnetize.

Congrats on your decision and impending purchase!

Sent from a tiny keyboard

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 24, 2016

Not an issue. But don't lay it down on the magnetic clasp on the iPad cover.

4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 24, 2016

Just get it and enjoy it already!! It's heat watch and one that never let me down.

Linzer and OMGRLX like this.
  5. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Jul 24, 2016

no need to spend big a$$ dollars for anti-magnetic movements ... there are 50 dollar devices that demagnetize watches and can be reused 100s of times on many different watches - my hard earned pesos would go towards those. ;)

also, going out on a limb: I don't think that ipads (et al) create a strong magnet field at all. All those devices are very much optimized to get the most life out of the battery - and creating magnetic fields will def. suck juice fast out of it. So - again a guess - not too many magnetic fields on tablets, etc...

maybe the residential watchmakers here can pipe in as well - do you notice that magnetized movements are WAY MORE of a problem than they were 10 or 15 years ago?

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 24, 2016

Yes. And after questioning several people who brought in watches that were magnetized, iPad covers were determined to be the most likely culprit...not the iPad itself, but the magnetic cover that has something like 20 odd magnets in it...

PhilF likes this.
  7. ChopGun Jul 24, 2016

Thanks for your replies. The verdict seems to be to avoid the magnetic iPad covers - co-incidentally the manual says the same thing!

OMGRLX likes this.
  8. kurtj29 Jul 24, 2016

Wow, wow, wow... As I type this on my iPad with a magnetic keyboard cover that I always have with me... image.jpeg

9. kurtj29 Jul 24, 2016

So.... How do I know if my watch is magnetized?

10. Call_me_Tom Jul 24, 2016

It'll usually run fast.

kurtj29 likes this.
  11. micampe Jul 24, 2016

I do the same all the time with no issues. It's only a problem if you lay the watch on the cover, not if it's just in the vicinity. The magnets are strong but their field of action is pretty short, as you can see when you attach the cover to the iPad: you need to get it very close to make it stick.

12. ChopGun Jul 25, 2016

So to summarise: no major dramas using an iPad with a magnetic clasp... Just don't rest your watch on it overnight.

Is that right?

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 25, 2016

Yes. No issue using a iPad.

Or rest on top of a speaker as the larger the speaker the larger the magnet in it.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 25, 2016

But you realize we are talking about watches that don't have the 15,000 gauss resistance, right?

15. taz101 Jul 25, 2016

RE: diver model replaced with 8500. I don't think this will happen for two reasons. 1) The massive cost spike to the piece which I think is one of the draw's of the 300 being it's at a good price point 2) They already brought out a new 300 with the 8500 (not sure the exact model number but it's the non Bond/Spectre one) and I think that 'is' the upgrade kinda thing. I think the co-axial movement etc is part of the heritage on this piece. I don't see it changing personally.

16. Rsucesso Jan 1, 2020

Anyone knows if the ceramic 300m the one with no waves dial, (212.30.36.20.01.002 that I believe to be the last non-ehxibition caseback) has a anti magnetic cover?

I opened the watch and noticed that it has no anti magnetic cover.

17. Time2WatchOut Nov 20, 2022

Mine is a 2017 41mm 2500d with magnetic shield

18. Ali Haas Nov 20, 2022

All the major watches are "anti-magnetic" these days. I find however that they all eventually speed up because of eventual magnetic accumulation. The environment has become highly magnetic these days. It is not a big problem as one can easily demag them when it happens. But I find myself reaching for the watches less susceptible in my collection, as with any METAS Omega watches.

Every Rolex and Breitling watch I have owned became magnetized with use, usually within a month or so. My new Grand Seiko 5 day spring drive diver has just the "basic" anti magnetic rating of 4,500 A/m (60 G) but has never mis behaved running spot-on for many months. Not one second off. It must be much more tolerant than the rating.

My advice, since you seem a little picky about this issue, is get the fully anti magnetic Omega (>15,000 G). I believe you would be happier in the long run. Smart people learn from their mistakes, really smart people learn from the mistakes of others...

Ali

19. Time2WatchOut Nov 24, 2022

My 2017 Seamaster 300 ceramic has a protective cover/shield under the caseback.

So does anyone know the resistance this model has?

15,000 G ?

I don’t think so, yet perhaps someone does.