Forums Latest Members

Maddening decision of what cellphone & plan to choose! Z10? 5S? 6? OnePlus?

1. msp1518 Sep 24, 2014

This decision is making me bonkers. My iPhone 4 has clearly slowed to a crawl (thank you Apple & Verizon for illegally colluding to make these phones snail paced bricks) and my contract is up October 15. Oh, how convenient my phone has started to suck just weeks away from my upgrade date!!!

Naturally I'd like a slightly larger screen and double my 8GB storage.

My initial thinking was go for a 16GB 5S at $99 on a 2 yr contract with AT&T. If I need to move to Asia later next year (50/50 chance) I can sell the phone to pay off my penalty since AT&T iPhones hold their value a hell of a lot more than Verizon iPhones.

My iPhone 4 will get me $60 max on eBay. Were it an AT&T iPhone 4 I'd get double that. [​IMG]

Then we have options of buying a fairly new BlackBerry Z10 for around $150; no contract which means $25 less per month with AT&T (that's a nice savings) and I can just sell it when or if I leave. The downside is a presumed lack of apps. The one I cannot live without is Viber and thankfully they are now on BB.

Here's the thing... I just spent some time with both iPhone 6's and was surprised at how comfortable the smaller 6 felt in my hand and pocket. It wasn't as bad as expected. The Phablet sized version is obscene! But oh that screen is cool. Using Viber would be fantastic. So maybe my distaste for ultra large phones is misplaced...?

Which brings me to the new and hard to get OnePlus One! Good God what a phone! It's a beast, top end and $350 for the 64GB version with NO CONTRACT! Yes it's a Phablet so that will cause me trouble in warmer weather when I am wearing jeans. But I have never splurged on a truly awesome brand new phone. I am always buying older technology. I have grown used to Android on my HP Touchpad so I won't be completely in the dark with a new OS.

I should mention that to this day I miss my BlackBerry Storm2, despite it's limitations and now horridly antiquated browser. I would buy a used one right now were actual AT&T 3G models available (I still have my OtterBox Defender case). Unfortunately it seems to be Verizon only models on Fleabay and that means shitty slow edge speeds only. Edge sucks.

Any opinions welcome.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 24, 2014

BB Passport just came out today....as a former BB user you should check that out as well.

Cheers, Al

3. msp1518 Sep 24, 2014

Al, I just did. Thanks for the tip. i wouldn't have realized.

That is an interesting design. I hope it will be on display locally so I check it out.

4. haga888 Sep 24, 2014

As one of the last remaining BB users on the planet earth, I must say the Z10 is actually a really good phone. I've had it for two years with no problems aside from a new battery that I had to buy. The no app support has basically been solved. There's an app called Snap that you can sideload onto the BB10 OS which then basically acts as a conduit between the BB and the Google App Store (or whatever it's called) and let's you download any Android App. I have access to any app that an android phone would.

With that said, I'm on the wait list for an iPhone 6... Let's see what all the fuss is about.

5. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 24, 2014

Just make sure don't put it in your trouser pocket ;)

cristos71 likes this.
  6. msp1518 Sep 24, 2014

I had a chance to play around with my sister's brand new iPhone 6 and while i loved the blazing fast action on the screen and apps, I was not pleased with how flimsy it felt. Earlier iPhones felt sturdy. This one not so much.

7. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 25, 2014

My vote goes to the iPhone6, but not the 6 Plus. iOS is the best overall platform (IMO), and application developers tend to strongly favour it over any of the others.

Windows Phone and a few specific Android phones are also worth a look if iOS isn't your thing. Keep in mind some of the larger screen Android devices have really awful battery life. A phone needs to be practical, and for me that means easily lasting a day or two on battery.

Blackberry seems pretty hopeless these days. I'm actually embarrassed that they're a Canadian company. I'm not sure what they were thinking when they designed the keyboard on the new Passport.

Darlinboy likes this.
  8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 25, 2014

Agree with you on this one. Will let them work out a few bugs, but there is a 6 in my future.

My 4 has been bulletproof, although a friend's did break when he put it in his pocket and beat it with a hammer - guess that is a design flaw. ;)

9. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 25, 2014

I work with iOS/Android all day, every day (User Interface and Interaction Design). Apple certainly isn't perfect, but when it comes to a mobile OS they still offer the best customer experience with iOS by a large margin. They're in a league of their own, but Android looks to be slowly catching up. They're finally taking design and user experience more seriously.

In the past couple of years I've owned 6-7 Android handsets and 1 Windows Phone, in addition to using the Android and iOS simulators constantly. I'd never consider using any of the Android phones for daily usage, usually because the battery life is shockingly bad. There's other issues, but none of those really matter if the phone needs be charged twice a day.

Android L shows a lot more potential, so if you're interested in trying out a new OS, it would be best to wait until there's some devices running L.

If you need a no-bullshit phone that gets the job done and has the best software, there's really no alternative to the iPhone 5s and 6.

Oh, and you'll want to be able to use things like Apple Pay when it starts to show up everywhere. ;)

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 25, 2014

They are going back to where they should have stayed in the first place - going back to focus on the business market and not the consumer market.

I'm not sure why you would be embarrassed that they are a Canadian company....

11. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 25, 2014

Well, that's precisely it. RIM haven't realized that the business/enterprise market has completely moved on from needing physical keyboards on their phones. It's the only trick they had left, and they've managed to completely screw it up on the new Passport phone:
    Screen Shot 2014-09-25 at 11.50.55 PM.png

There's a spacebar stuck in the middle of a letter-row. There's no letter staggering at all, Z lies directly under A, etc. A physical keyboard is only a good idea if it's ergonomically viable and offers clear advantages over virtual keyboards. This one looks like a usability nightmare, which demonstrates that they can't even figure out what made their previous models successful to begin with. I've included a shot of the Blackberry Bold to help illustrate these shortcomings.

At this point, RIM seems like a flailing sick animal that should've been put out of its misery. They were once visionaries and innovators, but that time has long passed.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 25, 2014

We'll see how it does in the market. Personally I don't see the keyboard as being the negative you do, and the screen is the big feature here, not the keyboard. It seemed to be fairly well received at the launch yesterday.

Oh and just so you know, RIM does not exist anymore - they have been called BlackBerry for some time now...

I'm not sure who you think should put them out of their misery...the market decides what works and what doesn't. You seem to have a hate on for them for some reason, so I think I'll bow out there as this conversation does not make a lot of sense and seems to be going no where. I was just offering an alternative to the OP....I'm done

Cheers, Al

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 25, 2014

Okay one more post...you do realize that you could easily substitute "Apple" for "RIM" in this quote at one time. Apple lost it's edge and was considered past it's prime just like BB is now. They managed to turn it around, and they are not magical in that regard. Maybe BB will pull off a comeback (their business is much more than the devices after all) and maybe they won't.

And honestly, it's just a fecking cell phone...we are not talking about nuclear war or a cure for cancer here...I'll never understand the angst displayed over these things when talking about a bloody cell phone...

Cheers, Al

14. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 25, 2014

15. Luckyboi Sep 25, 2014

I got the iphone 6 on the 19th September! (Uk release date) and got rid of it two days later in favour of my iphone 5s. Personally I wouldn't waste your time on a new iphone that isnt much better internally than the last model!

Sam

16. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 25, 2014

I work with mobile devices all day long, so I certainly have formed some strong opinions :)

Phones are as personal as any piece of technology can be, so people easily get fired up. My passion comes from a design/usability standpoint though, not blind brand loyalty or anything along those lines. I was actually testing the latest Blackberry emulators (tablet and phone) a few days ago.

I'd love to see an underdog like BB pull things together and end up somewhere on top, I just don't think there's any possibility without them replacing much of the company. I was excited when they purchased QNX(which BB10 is based on), but haven't been very impressed so far with how BB10 functions.

I suppose the bottom line is that I'd want to inform any friends or family who were shopping for a new phone not to waste their money on Blackberry, when any other option provides much better value.

The 5S is a pretty sweet form factor and design, perfect size IMO. I think I like it better than the 6.

17. msp1518 Sep 25, 2014

Well... Now that you guys got that out of your system...

In regards to my conundrum it looks like it's down to the Z10 or going for a OnePlus One. Two completely different phone experiences. The key here is NO CONTRACT. Spend my maximum of $350 and own a phone I can use anywhere I want, including overseas. If I go the Z10 route I can actually spend a lot less than that should I go the Next 12 AT&T route. The early cancelation fee would just be the remainder of the cost of the phone.

The iPhone 6 is too expensive and I don't feel like paying $140 up front (there is a $40 activation fee) for the 5S with a 2 year contract. Screw 2 year contracts. The cancel penalties are steep and yeah, it's overpriced now. Yes yes yes the usability is tops. No denying that. And unlike these newer thin phones it is sturdy as hell.

The new BB is not going to suit me simply because of the costs involved. $250 plus a 2 year contract. Looking at the reviews I have to agree that the space bar placed in the middle of the bottom key row is an odd choice. Ouch.

18. msp1518 Sep 26, 2014

Well I ended up going for a gold 32gb iPhone 5S. The sales guy went way beyond for me, gave me a plan discount I do not qualify for and a sh*tload of goodies. In the end I really had no choice but to get the 5S. And it's a choice I won't regret. Restoring via the cloud was EASY.

The only thing I haven't figured out how to do is move my ring tones over from my 4 to the 5S. These are not ringtones I downloaded via iTunes. I made them all years ago from various songs, movies, etc.

19. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 26, 2014

For the ringtones, you could try:
    http://www.ibrowseapp.com/

Then when you're connected to the old phone, look in the folder: iTunes_Control -> Ringtones. You should be able to drag all of the ring tones to your computer, then connect your new 5S and drag them back to the same location.

If they're not stored there, I'm not sure where they're hiding :D

20. msp1518 Sep 26, 2014

Okay I will check that out now. I have an older iTunes that still had the Ringtone navigation and refuse to upgrade to the newer iTunes. Of course I need to the iTunes for iOS7. and 8. So I'm in a quandary.

All the ringtones I need are on my PC in the proper Apple format so I will check this program out and hope it helps me navigate through my new 5S.

EDIT/UPDATE: Well, iBrowse is cool, except I can't see any possible way to play with ringtones. In fact, I cannot find any place for them.