Forums Latest Members
  1. Wheels Feb 12, 2013

If the lume was starting to show signs of cracking on one of my vintage pieces, or even if it wasn't yet but I was afraid to wear it in case it did, how can it be stabilised? I guess I'm asking what the process is, does it affect the look of the lume and who does it? Any advice from those who've had it done appreciated. If anyone knows a watchmaker that does it, I'd appreciate some contacts. If the watchmaker is in Oz that would be even better. :)

2. ulackfocus Feb 12, 2013

I guess my usual fix of duct tape is out of the question.....

Wheels and Dash1 like this.
  3. Dash1 Feb 12, 2013

I've never heard of it being done, but I guess you could put a layer of a strong resin glue on the back of the hands, that way you would not see it. Omega do a similar thing on the rear of their modern hands, which have a blob of some white coloured substance. But I could not recommend it since I haven't tried it!

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 12, 2013

When you relume hands with a typical lume kit, the lume paste is something you mix up using the lume powder and the binder material - it is mixed together to form a slurry that is applied to hands. I use that binder (with no lume powder mixed in) to stabilize lume on hands. The binder is clear and colourless, and is applied to the back side of the hand of course. This has worked well for me in the past.

Cheers, Al

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 12, 2013

I was going to suggest clear nail polish on the underside of the hands, but I like Al's suggestion much better.
    gatorcpa

6. Wheels Feb 12, 2013

Thanks a bunch folks.

7. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 12, 2013

send it over, i do that for you. kind regards. achim