Forums Latest Members

Lume "pearl/dot" fell off on my Planet Ocean 8500 - 2 years old

1. Pfefferz Sep 4, 2016

Hi,

Had my watch for about a 1-2 years and yesterday wearing the watch during the evening I noticed that the "pearl/dot" was missing from the bezel insert. I searched my whole apartment and eventually found it. I could successfully attach it again but it falls off when I turn the bezel, however I feel that this is beyond acceptable (even if it would stick to the bezel insert, there would be a risk of it falling off again). Tomorrow morning I will call the Service center here in Sweden and send it in of course.

My question is, will this be covered under warranty? As it hasn't been plucked out and there are no marks on the bezel indicating so. In my opinon the whole bezel should be replaced as glueing the part back on seems like a very cheap way to fix as it seems a bad quality bezel in the first place.

Also, is this something common? Should I keep on worrying that even if they exchange the bezel or the part back on glue on that In a couple of years it will eventually fall off? I use the watch daily. Ive used it when in the pool and the ocean but it seems that a Divers watch should withstand these conditions and glue weakened that much in 2 years seems way wrong.

Would be grateful if someone could give me a piece of mind, would really suck to pay for a whole new bezel if it is not taken care of under warranty.

IMG_4996.JPG

Thanks in advance.

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 4, 2016

Its usually a easy fix.

And pretty sure they use glue so don't expect a new bezel

Common to happen more if watch goes in the ocean and chlorine pools or from hot to cold environments

Don't bother with it most times until service as I have never found one I've lost over the years on heaps of dive watches that are actually used in diving swimming

image.jpeg

3. Pfefferz Sep 4, 2016

Thanks for the reply!

However it seems that even if they glue it back, this time under warranty, it might be that the next time it happens (why wouldn't it?) the pearl is not found and I am left to pay for a new bezel (or do they provide the pearls separately?) as I am not under warranty. Would seem strange that such poor glue / poor construction is used for an expensive watch that is marketed as a diver

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 4, 2016

They will epoxy it back in if you have it. Sure it can be bought seperate. Common with all dive watches even more expensive ones, some stay for years some don't.

5. overlinjw Sep 4, 2016

I would not even bother sending it in and just reattach it myself with a bit of epoxy... I don't really think that this is a sign of poor quality, and this has never happened to me with the various omega divers I've owned.

Stuff happens. You can't really complain that something falls apart when you used it every day, regardless of its quality. Id be more disappointed if you had just bought it, but two years of frequent wear could do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 4, 2016

For ceramic dive bezels, yes the "pip" can be bought separately, as can the ceramic insert. Omega refers to the pip as a capsule by the way - I have one kicking around here somewhere.

For aluminum dive bezels, you can't buy any individual part separately, so the whole bezel would be replaced.

I can't say how these are held in place - likely with adhesive of some kind, but it depends on the bezel style. Often the vintage type are a press fit, but I doubt that is the case here.

Omega may charge you to install, or may not - hard to tell but this is normally not considered a warranty repair, so they may do it as a courtesy...

Cheers, Al

7. Pfefferz Sep 4, 2016

Thanks for the clarification. Was under the impression that the ceramic ones were sold as a whole including the capsule. Will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.

8. anselmw Feb 14, 2022

Bringing this back, the capsule fell out of my PO titanium chrono, Can you still buy the capsule separate. If so can someone provide the part number.

Thanks,

Anselm

9. Omegafanman Feb 14, 2022

I see a lot of these type of threads and always wonder why people don’t see contacting manufacturer as an obvious first step when a watch is fully covered under warranty. That is one benefit of buying new from and AD or boutique. Reporting issues also gives good feedback for the company to learn from.
    Of course it depend on how well warranty is supported in your locality and any risks with shipping etc. I can see that may put people off. We have good support in the UK.
    For me I would take photos / report it and find out if it is covered. My gut feel is with no sign of damage and after only two years they would repair it free of charge. Omega are innovative with their materials so I imagine a manufacturer approved repair would be the best outcome. I would not assume the issue would happen again based on a single incident.

chrisb732 and TwinPeaks like this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 14, 2022

Unfortunately Omega has changed their policy, and they do not sell any bezel parts, only complete bezels.

11. anselmw Feb 14, 2022

Thanks Al for the update, that is what the boutique told me. I guess I will need to buy a whole new bezel which is a waste as the rest is still perfect. I guess I could try and aftermarket PIP to see if it even matches but swap the genuine bezel when it comes in.

12. anselmw Feb 14, 2022

I have contacted my OB but this piece is much older than two years already so was just checking if the PIP was available separately still.

Omegafanman likes this.
  13. justacpa Feb 15, 2022

Gladys Knight might have a few pips available. :)

Omegafanman likes this.
  14. Omegafanman Feb 15, 2022

Depending on the age it still might be worth contacting them. I have had a car repaired twice FOC out of warranty as I persuaded them it was an inherent manufacturing defect which should not have failed in normal use given the age and condition of the car. People need to maintain a good quality reputation these days.
    Don’t ask / don’t get ...... I believe some Apollo-Soyuz Speedmasters were repaired free outside of warranty as the case back coating deteriorated prematurely.

15. dlukask Mar 7, 2022

Hope you get this sorted

16. anselmw Mar 8, 2022

New bezel just arrived as the dot cant be bought separately anymore. I bought an aftermarket dot for the old bezel but it does not lume as goosd as the original.