Forums Latest Members
  1. nurseford25 Oct 9, 2016

So I recently acquired a 2531.80. The lume plots 5, 6, 7, 8 &9 seem to be missing from the dial. I knew this when I made the deal and that issue was factored into the deal. So I knew what I was getting into. My question is: what is the best way to correct this issue? Should I send the watch to omega? Find a local watchmaker? Or try to source an original dial for a 2531.80 myself? Or something else I didn't think of. I've seen some pretty horrible pictures of relumed dials so I just want to make sure I choose the right way to correct this issue.
    IMG_0697.JPG

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 9, 2016

Don't worry about it, if you're the right age you'll be asleep when the lume don't shine and heading of to the clubs when it's needed.

;)

Reluming circle type dots isn't hard, but getting the right match to the existing dots, which will be more obvious in daylight, will be a bit harder.

I'd try for a service dial if the look of the watch is important.

nurseford25 likes this.
  3. nurseford25 Oct 9, 2016

Thanks. Service dial is what I have been leaning toward. In the meantime you're right, I won't be really needing the lume all that much. ;)

fskywalker likes this.
  4. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 9, 2016

I am intrigued as to how the damage happened. I havent seen S-L fail like that before and for half the dial to go dark like that seems very odd. It could suggest some tinkering or water damage which has further reaching consequences on the movement etc. I would get the watch checked out when you do the dial swap.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 9, 2016

Service dial is the best option here, but I would also be a bit concerned how this happened...

fskywalker likes this.
  6. nurseford25 Oct 9, 2016

Thanks @Archer. It looks like the lume has been totally removed. The lume dots are flat compared to the top half of the watch. The watch runs spot on and no obvious physical damage can be seen (on the dial at least, I haven't looked at the movement yet). Anyway service dial seems to be the way to go. My question is how does one go about doing this. Do I send to omega or can a local watch maker source a service dial and replace it?

7. Moppel Oct 10, 2016

Don't send it to Omega for service. Of course, they will replace the dial but with a different one.
    My wife sent a mid-size Seamaster to Omega once. It had a beautiful aged dial but came back with one of those new dials that has the hour marker surrounded ( don't know how to better describe it...).
    I'd try to source a dial myself and have it replaced by a local watchmaker.

Regards from Germany
    Thomas

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 10, 2016

Is it possible that water intrusion / leakage did it? Or damaged the lume sufficiently to warrant its removal?

9. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 10, 2016

Don't forget that this dial is seriously damaged/messed about, half the lume is missing! Replacement is the only realistic fix, they should replace it with exactly the right one, if not complain and send it back. On a complete dial with a charming patina I would agree, but SL on early SMPs in my experience can to fade to a rather nasty orange which never seems to be matched by the hands. I prefer a nice crisp dial on a SL piece, though I realise that this is sacrilage on an older tritium watch.

10. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 10, 2016

That is what I thought, see above. Water damage followed by removal of the damaged lume by a tinkerer to hide the stained plots. It is for this reason I suggested that the movement may need close inspection.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 10, 2016

This was a mid-sized quartz model I would guess, as I know the replacement dial for those models has the surrounds. Of course tritium dials are no longer used or available, so if a dial requires replacing, it will be with a luminova dial. Unless you asked for the dial to be replaced, or there was a technical reason for replacing it, Omega should have left it alone. Once again why using them is not a good idea in some cases.

The replacement dial for the 25318000 looks exactly the same as the original dial does - no surrounds. If the OP's original dial is tritium (I doubt it is, but it could be) then yes the markers will look more white since they are luminova, but if it's a luminova dial on the watch now, the only difference will be a dial that has full lume.

Cheers, Al

fskywalker likes this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 10, 2016

A watchmaker with an Omega parts account can source a new dial easily. Dial is not a huge cost...

Until someone looks at the movement to be sure we don't know what happened. It's unusual to see plots missing from a fairly modern watch...

13. Moppel Oct 10, 2016

Yep, my wife's mid-size was the quartz model.
    Do you have any information about the normal-size quartz model? I own one myself and was always afraid to send it to Omega for service, although I think it does not need it right now.
    Thomas

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 10, 2016

Assuming you mean a 25418000, if yours has a tritium dial, they won't have a tritium dial to replace it of coruse. The replacement Luminova dials do not have surrounds.

No need to service a quartz movement unless it stops working, is damaged, or is going through batteries at an unacceptable rate. Omega isn't going to service the movement - they will just install a new one. I would do the same - cheaper for you than paying labour to disassemble, clean, reassemble oil, etc.

15. nurseford25 Oct 10, 2016

Thanks @Archer. I'll update the thread once I get to the bottom of the issue. Any recommendations in the LA/Orange county area. I've never used a watchmaker yet. Most of my pieces are 5-7 years old. I haven't had find a watchmaker until now. I googled a bunch but you know its always better to get a recommendation from the forum experts. Thanks.

16. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Oct 10, 2016

do you have a daylight pic?

17. nurseford25 Oct 10, 2016

IMG_6725.JPG

18. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Oct 10, 2016

ok, let me rephrase that ... "do you have a GOOD daylight pic" ? ... :D

just trying to figure out how the lume dots look in natural light ...

nurseford25 likes this.
  19. nurseford25 Oct 10, 2016

Here's as good as it gets. I can't seem to get a glare free shot. It's hard to capture on camera. Basically lume dots and no lume dots just flat circles on the bottom half. IMG_6729.JPG

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 10, 2016

Pm me I've got a suggestion for you for service. Also msg me if you don't have the info for the OC meet up coming up shortly.

nurseford25 likes this.