Forums Latest Members
  1. bmmcguir14 Jan 26, 2016

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm trying to get educated here (and using MWO) while hunting for my first Speedmaster, and I'd love to hear opinions on this 145.012-67 currently for sale. Perhaps some of you have seen this one before. It was on hold and the deal fell through for whatever reasons. To my eyes, the case seems sharp and the bezel is certainly well above average for what I've seen out there. But the dial... the lume has been completely washed away. Any ideas why this would have been done and how much it detracts from the value? nxw1969 posted pictures of a recent relume https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedmaster-lume.34181/#post-39053 that turned out absolutely great, but still a cost in terms of originality. The asking price is a pie in the sky ridiculous number for this watch, but I was considering making a base bid of 6k minus an adjustment for the missing lume. And I can't figure out a fair value for that adjustment and was hoping others could chime in. Or should I just steer clear.

2. Optimizer13 Jan 26, 2016

Personally, no lume is a dealbreaker for me but it ultimately depends on you. Also one of the pusher is wrong, I think.

Dgercp likes this.
  3. nxw1969 Jan 26, 2016

The watch I bought and had relumed was cheap and a 1969 watch with a transitional dial, but it will be an every day beater for me, so I'm very happy with the way it turned out and friendly on the pocket.

If I was spending 6k though, I personally wouldn't want to take away from the originality and get it relumed

Have you got your heart set on a 321 67? You could get a nice genuine transitional for under 6k

Cheers
    Nick

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 26, 2016

Basically, you'd subtract the cost of a better dial from the price.. to make the watch whole, you'd need a better dial.

Pro dials haven't quite caught up to prepro dials yet, but are still in the $500+ zone, more for a nice one.

5. Dgercp Jan 26, 2016

I agree, for me what makes vintage speedies so special is the beautiful aged lume plots.
    Why get it relumed at this price point and not just wait for a better one with original lume?

Btw, I think pushers are ok?

6. Optimizer13 Jan 26, 2016

Seems like the top one is the shorter one which is used in the 105.012. But maybe my eyes are wrong :unsure:

7. bmmcguir14 Jan 26, 2016

Thanks for all the replies. I feel more comfortable just taking a pass on this one now. The condition of the case and bezel was tantalizing (at least to me), but maybe not worth the headache in the end.

In regards to the pushers, at first glance I thought they didn't seem symmetric either. Now I'm not so sure. I had convinced myself at some later point that they were correct.

Dgercp likes this.
  8. browncow Jan 26, 2016

I'd have no problem buying a no-lume Speedy on the cheap then re-luming it, but for 6K I'd expect it to come with it's original lume!!!

9. bmmcguir14 Jan 26, 2016

To be clear, 6k was my fair value estimate if the dial was perfect, and I was trying to figure out what discount from that price is necessary to account for the missing lume. The consensus appears to be that the discount would need to be the entire replacement cost for a dial, which means the chance of reaching a deal with this seller is next to nil.

browncow likes this.
  10. browncow Jan 26, 2016

I'd just pass on this overpriced one and wait for another....