Forums Latest Members

Lume advice for brand new planet ocean.

1. Pearceygy Jul 17, 2018

Apologies if this has already been discussed a thousand times already but I’d just like to know if the Lume on my new planet ocean 8900 should be still visible after only a couple of hours? I left my watch at home today for 10 hours under a skylight having direct contact with the sun on a hot day, when I came home I put the watch in the boiler cupboard which is near enough pitch black and checked it hourly.

After the first hour it was ok, after the second hour it was just visible but after three hours it was impossible to see the time, now I contacted Omega yesterday regarding this and to their credit they have been in touch with me today and advised me to send the watch in to them to be examined. But before I do this I just wanted to check with you guys to determine whether or not the Lume time is normal for a brand new watch.

Tony.

2. Meme-Dweller Jul 17, 2018

This is normal. Super Luminova is not that long-lasting.... it's not a Seiko with Lumibrite.

Pearceygy likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 17, 2018

Normal esp if your eyes are daylight adjusted.

Charge with a flashlight for about 15 seconds turn off lights go to bed. Wake up 4 hours later you will still see lume.

I went into a movie and could still see glow at the end of a movie. Enough to be readable but not bright. I had only been wearing it outside on a normal day.

Pearceygy and c2500 like this.
  4. c2500 Jul 18, 2018

The reply above is probably the answer. If your eyes are daylight adjusted, you won't notice so much.

There's been several occasions where I've woken early at 4 or 5am and there's still been lume visible on my Seamasters, in a darkened room, with my eyes adjusted.

Pearceygy and Foo2rama like this.
  5. Pearceygy Jul 18, 2018

Thanks for all the reply’s I won’t bother sending the watch in then based on what you are saying, I’ve never owned a watch with lume before and just expected a bit more, especially after watching some of the reviews on the watch that raved about the lume. Still impressed with the way omega got straight back to me offering to send a pre-paid fully insured package for me to send the watch back. That’s good service.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. sevykor Aug 4, 2018

The lume will not stay very bright for long periods of time, but it will hold all night long as your eyes adjust to the darker environment. It serves its purpose very well.

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. RI Omega Fan Jan 22, 2019

The lume on my 2010 Planet Ocean 2500 is still burning bright by the first blue light of morning. Contrary to the experience of many others, it lasts all night.

8. Modernism Jan 23, 2019

The 2500 lume is a whole different ball game. I have the 2500PO and the 8500PO, and the 8500 is non-existent in comparison to the original PO that I've had for over 11 years. Because the 88/8900 is blue lume, the same as the 8500 I'd guess they're pretty similar in effect. They will never be as strong as the green.