Forums Latest Members
  1. VBosch Sep 4, 2015

Lug repair question.

First off this my initial post, I have looked at several places to post my questions and this seems far and away the best place.

I have taken possession of my fathers watch, he wore it daily until it broke 15 years ago. At the time my mother looked into having it repaired and it was supposedly more than the value of the watch.

My first question is: Can it even be repaired? What is the range of repair costs compared to the valuation of the watch (excluding the high sentimental value it may hold for me)?

I am fairly certain the bracelet is not original. And I don't know if he ever had it serviced ( knowing how frequently he changed the oil in his cars I doubt it). Would anyone be able to guess as to a year of manufacture

I am in Orange County, California and would appreciate a lead on a reputable repair place.

I feel like this was a million questions, thanks for any help that one can provide.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    noelekal likes this.
  2. novina Sep 4, 2015

Except for the broken lug and braclet, that is a beautiful watch. Others will come along and point you in the right direction. Hopefully it can be fixed. Than have it serviced and wear it. Good luck.

3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 4, 2015

Looks like a 60s Seamaster Deville. Try giving ABC Watchwerks a call.

joao.quintao likes this.
  4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 4, 2015

It should not be a difficult repair using laser welding, if you have the broken piece. Will be more if one has to be fabricated.

Another option is to fond a non-working "donor" watch and simply make a swap.

Adding in a movement service is a good idea too. All that may cost a few $$, but...

Either way, the value of having your Dad's watch ... Priceless.

ABC will charge a (relative) fortune, But they do nice work.

noelekal likes this.
  5. KIMBER Sep 4, 2015

With the last experience I had with laser welding in my neck of the woods i would go with a donor. Of cause your area welders might be ten times better than mine[wouldn't take much].

6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 4, 2015

It were me, I would look for a new case first.

Tom

7. VBosch Sep 4, 2015

Thanks for the great info so far.

As a matter of clarification I do not have the missing lug.

8. KIMBER Sep 4, 2015

Now I would very highly recommend a donor with that info.lol

9. vinn2 Sep 4, 2015

advertise for a used case

10. VBosch Sep 4, 2015

it seems a though the best course of action is to find a donor case.

How would I go about finding enough information about the watch to spec out a donor case? Will I need to have the watch opened?

11. Canuck Sep 4, 2015

The missing lug is like the other three. Gold cap over stainless steel. A replacement lug could be fabricated, but it would likely have to be karat gold. A skilled shop could probably do it. Laser welding would seem to be the way to go. As to cost? First, find a shop that says they can do it (might be a challenge). Second, ask for an estimate. Worth whatever the case repair would cost, and a thorough service of the movement?..........If it was my father's watch, I'd say, heck yes!

noelekal likes this.
  12. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 4, 2015

Depends on where they were made and models.
    Swiss made cases had 14k gold cap lugs but on some US cases there are solid 14k lugs welded onto SS case.
    Maybe this one is one of them.

13. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 4, 2015

A friend of mine (a watch maker) in VietNam had one broken lug like that. He said it was solid 14k and after trying many ways to weld it back he gave up.
    His advise is buying Swiss Case not US case haha

14. vinn2 Sep 5, 2015

go to a jewlery shop and ask for a watch maker. you need to know the informaton in the case and on the watch movment. this forum will help you find a case (or a donor watch.), cases are made all over the world. { some of the best cases are made in the usa. there is no "US case haha}

15. rogart ray it again, Ram. Sep 6, 2015

I am sure that is a ref 135.020 with a 613 movement . And as for the repair you could maybe find a broken case and get someone to laserweld . I recommended someone in a thread somewhere in here about a good case repair shop . I was about laserwelding a case back with engraving on .

http://www.watchworks.co.uk/

16. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 6, 2015

Cannot be. This one has an automatic movement not manual winding.

17. rogart ray it again, Ram. Sep 6, 2015

My mistake . Second time i do this ::screwloose::.

18. rogart ray it again, Ram. Sep 6, 2015

How about 166.020 ?

19. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 6, 2015

Sure can and powered by a 560 or 562.

rogart likes this.
  20. VBosch Oct 13, 2015

First off thank you all for the great info. It has been a while since my post, I went back to the safe an my parents and was able to find the missing lug, so I was going to try the repair route instead of a case replacement.

I have been to a few watch repair places and most have wanted to solder the lug and then replate the gold because it would discolor due to the heat.

I found one place that could laser weld but could not guarantee the lug would hold or that it would not discolor.

Is replating a big no-no for trying to maintain as original as possible but make it wearable?