Forums Latest Members

Lubricating an ETA with plastic pallets

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 11, 2017

Prompted by @Canuck I described how I solved a problem with a Swatch Irony Body and Soul fitted with an ETA automatic movement (ETA 2841-1, the one with the blue plastic pallet assy).

https://omegaforums.net/threads/has-it-come-to-this-then.58592/#post-726359

I didn't do anything to the movement other than re-fitting the balance, the case was cleaned etc and all put back together.

However, after sitting idle for a number of years and suddenly being worn daily for the last ten or so days, it decided to stop intermittently so it was given back to me with the instructions "do whatever you have to".

I removed the caseback again and with the watch running, put it under the microscope to look for symptoms. All was working fine and then while face down it stopped, but with nothing obvious. I gave the crown a couple of forward/backward twists and off it went and then stopped a minute later, another jiggle got it going and then I noticed a dried lump of black grease lodged in the gap between two teeth of the fourth wheel.

Fourth Wheel Crud.JPG

This caused the blocked gap to come up against the pinion of the escape wheel and jam. There was also a lack of power which would have overcome the blockage, and as the watch had never been serviced in its 20 year life I decided to look further.

The source of the black grease appeared to come from the autowind gear area, it was very dry and crumbly. With the watch pulled apart I could see that the oil on the jewels had become very dry and was almost the consistency of grease.

So now we're at this stage.

SW_Strip.JPG

My question to @Archer and my other mentors is; do I lubricate the escape/pallets as normal or is no lubrication required due to the plastic pallet assy?

This is the little bugger.

Plastic Pallet.JPG

I've been unable find a lubrication chart for the ETA 2841-1 so that's why I'm seeking guidance.

Cheers

Jim

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 11, 2017

Hi Jim,

I don't have a technical guide for this caliber either, and it's not on the ETA customer service portal. I can email Swatch to see if they can send me one tomorrow.

The closest thing I have is a guide for the Tissot Powermatic 80 movement, and the escapement looks similar to this one. A couple of things on servicing that watch we could assume apply here are:

1 - Do not clean the escapement parts in an ultrasonic cleaner - they are to be cleaned in a solvent bath only. They say benzene is sufficient.

2 - Special lubrication for the escapement is Moebius TH7-001.

Cheers, Al

citizenrich and JimInOz like this.
  3. Canuck Jun 11, 2017

A significant difference between the Swatch I referred to, and the subject watch of this thread, is the escape wheel. The Swatch I referred to had both escape wheel and lever made of plastic, or some other space age material. The watch shown above appears to have a metal escape wheel which has teeth that closely resemble the teeth of a pin pallet watch. If the watch was mine, I would solve the problem of not knowing which lubricant to use on the escapement, by not servicing the watch!