Forums Latest Members

SOLD Lovely Jaquet-Girard 3-hander, manual-wind, grey sunburst, serviced

1. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Feb 22, 2018

Dear Fellow OF'ers

Today I am offering an unpretending Jaquet-Girard Geneve, manual-wind 3-hander for sale from the 60's/70's.

Jaquet-Girard was one of many brands that were doing quality, affordable mechanical watches last century, and whose fate was pretty much sealed by the quartz revolution. There is little information on the brand to be honest, but it seems that the name was bought back by some asian company in the 80's, and has churned not-so-interesting pieces since then. This is not a spinoff of Girard-Perregaux (they actually were in a trademark litigation with them in the 50's in the US...), nor is it any related to Jaquet-Droz. I actually live in switzerland, and I can tell you I know quite a few Girard's, Jaquet's, Meylan's and such people with legendary names that have zero connection with horology... just normal names around here (I know no-one called Omega, though... shame, that'd be pretty cool wouldn't it? :D )

This watch was an impulse buy from me in 2016, as I loved the grey-brown sunburst dial and the onyx-equipped markers and the superb condition. I had this fully serviced by a watchmaking friend who was in between two jobs by then (no receipt- and he's got a proper job at one of the "Big Three" now - so I'll never get one) so it does keep good time although not COSC. I equipped it with a NOS brown nubuck strap, which nicely matches the dial color.

The case (34mm ex-crown, 41mm from top lug to bottom lug) is in great shape with only a few minor nicks. The dial is a very deep brown-grey color, which is a PITA to catch via a camera (esp. as these pics were taken with a smartphone, the Nikon is OOO for the moment). That strap could pass as new but I have to admit I wore it a couple of days. The crystal has a couple of scratches as you can see on the pictures. I haven't polywatched it at all, so most of them should buff away easily.

And then I wore it a couple of days... and that was it as I have quite a few three-handers already, mostly coming from my grandfathers - I'm a steel chrono guy, which doesn't really help this fine timepiece's wrist-time.

IMG_20180222_123644075.jpg IMG_20180222_123728785.jpg IMG_20180222_123824700.jpg IMG_20180222_123835631.jpg IMG_20180222_123852674.jpg IMG_20180222_123925656.jpg IMG_20180222_124619557.jpg IMG_20180222_124850901_HDR.jpg IMG_20180222_124920438.jpg IMG_20180222_124937463.jpg

I hope it can now find a good home and a more considerate owner. It's a lovely, reliable piece, from a quirky, now defunct swiss brand. And that dial is sooo lovely...

Price is EUR150 + shipping at cost from switzerland (your choice of shipping method). Please let me know if I'm totally off-base. Remember you get a serviced watch in awesome condition... Slap a Universal Geneve sticker on it and BAM you have a 1000EUR watch :D)

SALES TERMS
    I only sell to bring some new pieces to my collection. I am not motivated by profit and so I have no reason to embellish or over describe. I have (mostly) bought and sold (a few - actually, one… and one trade too!) watches on www.OmegaForums.net and you can find my feedback by searching my username. I have met a few omegaforums members in person in the Lemanic area and I hope I made a good impression to them! I am not a watch dealer, I make my money elsewhere, watches are my pleasure, but I’m not a philanthropist either.

I am not in the offended by offers, as long as you aren't desperetely lowballing me.

Returns:

I have done my absolute best to provide as much info as I could. I will not take returns for this watch unless you consider it is grossly misrepresented and you are willing to have a discussion about it all, openly, on omegaforums, i.e. not by PM but into the limelight, as I value my fellow OF members opinions. I am opinionated, but not stubborn :)

Payment

Payment by Bank Transfer is favored; Paypal is expensive, and leaves the seller vulnerable to chargebacks, I will accept paypal from established members only and will request you to use the “payment to friends” option. Face to face is always welcome in the Lemanic area, usually I buy the beer :)

thanks OmegaForums for the space :)

Paul

Edited Feb 22, 2018
    sdre likes this.
  2. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Feb 28, 2018

Right... Slashed to 75Eur!

How often do you see 50% discounts in the BST section?!? How often for a serviced watch?

The answer is : once only - here! :)

3. ClarendonVintage Feb 28, 2018

Very fond of vintage pieces like this which aren't necessarily big brands: have a soft spot for those that fly below the radar. If I wasn't trying to sell my collection too, this would be and still is a great deal. GLWS!

4. ClarendonVintage Feb 28, 2018

double post sorry*

5. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 1, 2018

Thanks for the kind words @ClarendonVintage - My thoughts exactly, those not-so-desired brands represent a tremendous value for money!

The watch is OHPF as I have a few requests since the price drop (should have dropped it from 300 to 150 :rolleyes:)

Thank you OF for the space!

Paul

Edit- watch is now paid for. Thanks to the reliable buyer :)

Edited Mar 2, 2018
    ClarendonVintage likes this.