Forums Latest Members
  1. KSJ Jul 22, 2019

I have fallen in love with an Omega Automatic Seamaster cal 562 Ref. 166.001 40 micron gold plating with new original glass and new original crown. Strap and buckle not original. No box or papers. Seller says the watch was serviced July19. Seller wants approx. 900USD.

If there is a reason for me not to buy it I would very much appreciate people with knowledge on the forum to tell me. I am new to vintage watches and this will be me first purchase. I hope the watch looks good to eyes more knowledgeable than mine as I really love the watch.

Thanks in advance
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spruce likes this.
  2. KingCrouchy Jul 22, 2019

Can seller prove it was serviced? If not that would be an issue at this price.

KSJ likes this.
  3. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jul 22, 2019

I'm a little concerned about the scrapes in the bezel by the crown. Doesn't appear to be a reflection....

Tom

KSJ likes this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 22, 2019

Too expensive, given the condition.

KSJ likes this.
  5. KSJ Jul 22, 2019

Thanks so much for your fast replies.
    I can view the watch with my hands before buying, but if I don't know what to look for or ask it won't help me much.
    I will definitely ask for proof of service. And I can also see the scrapes on the bezel now. Seller rates the condition as 8/10 but I don't know if that is right and I also don't know what would be a fair price for the watch. I just fell in love with the watch and I really like the dial and I want a watch like this model.
    Perhaps I should pass on this one and hunt for one in better condition. Or else ask if seller is willing to lower the price.
    I definitely want to buy an Omega Seamaster like this
    Thanks a lot again for your inputs

6. VintageOmegaLove Jul 22, 2019

I would say it is much too expensive! A little bit more and you should be able to get a solid gold one in a nice condition. As others have mentioned as well, the wear to the gold plating near the crown is horrible, as well as the lugs. A quick look at that alone would have turned me away. But of course, I don't pass up on anything if it's at the right price for me (pennies) :D:p

I would say pass on this. Look for other ones now that you know the case ref for the version of the Seamaster that you so love. I know it can be tempting to dive right in with the first few watches that you come across.

Enjoy the hunt.
    Chris

KSJ likes this.
  7. KSJ Jul 22, 2019

Thanks Chris
    I will take the advice. I do love the watch (the sunburst pearl dial with gold indices and hands, and the gold case) and I am getting one and would be willing to spend 900USD for one. But as I want it to keep I will hunt for one in better condition. Would also like an original bracelet or a
    buckle with the watch if I can get my hands on them.
    Let the hunt begin

VintageOmegaLove likes this.
  8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 22, 2019

As others have said $900 is just too much for this one.

Gold plated cases are at the bottom end of the value/desirability scale. A gold capped case, over stainless steel on Omegas, has a solid layer of gold fused to it, typically about 250 microns thick, making them much more durable.

VintageOmegaLove and KSJ like this.
  9. KSJ Jul 22, 2019

Thanks for the information.
    I really like the look of the gold on the watch, but perhaps I should go for gold capped case instead. I just hope it is possible to find one in good condition that it not too expensive as I would like too stay under 1000$

VintageOmegaLove likes this.
  10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 22, 2019

You should be able to get a very nice watch under your budget. Just be patient and feel free to post any other watches (each one in a separate thread) you are interested in for the forum to check out.

And check out the offerings here from time to time:

https://omegaforums.net/forums/private-watch-sales/

VintageOmegaLove, perks713 and KSJ like this.
  11. KSJ Jul 22, 2019

Thank you it is comforting to know that it is not unrealistic within my budget
    I will commence the hunt and it is nice to know that i can post here if. It is sometimes difficult to be patient because I really want one. But as its a keeper I am looking for, I just have to keep calm and do a thorough hunt. One day I will have a vintage Seamaster.
    I am glad for all your advice

VintageOmegaLove and KingCrouchy like this.
  12. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 22, 2019

I'm going to recommend this beauty. Please buy it so I can stop being tempted. https://omegaforums.net/threads/red...ega-seamaster-automatic-reference-2846.98734/

VintageOmegaLove and KSJ like this.
  13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jul 22, 2019

Gold filled cases, in between in thickness between plated and capped, can also look nice while not costing a lot of money. Just make sure it's not worn through anywhere.

Tom

KSJ likes this.