Forums Latest Members

Louisville CBP seizes nearly $2.6 million in counterfeit mercha

1. Gentle Ben May 19, 2019

KingCrouchy likes this.
  2. flw history nerd May 19, 2019

I noticed that you didn't include the five "Hublot" watches in your count ... perhaps because even genuine Hublots are fake (at least regarding taste) ::puke::

Gentle Ben likes this.
  3. Walrus May 19, 2019

Forbes wrote an article that when it comes right down to it everything is a “fake” ie. Copy. In the early nineteen hundreds the US was known as making the best watches. This Swiss wanted to catch up and surpass them so they based Swiss watches on American tech at the time, and of couse they did it. So Swiss copies America now every Swiss company copies each other. Due to the affluent class growing in China several real Chinese watch companies are making truly quality watches. Then the good fakes which are becoming easy to make with CNC machines and three D printing and as technology improves will continue to get better. Try not to list serial numbers too often as they are being snapped up to help the fakes, that’s what I’ve heard anyway. So everything is a copy of a copy anyway. Don’t feel too dumb if you buy a fake

4. 77deluxe May 19, 2019

3-D printing!

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 19, 2019

Please show any example of a fake with a correct serial number.

Expired Patents and counterfeit are 2 different things you seem to be conflating.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  6. mancio May 19, 2019

Don't count that much on 3d printing. It is still very expensive when you want a product that has real quality.
    CNC on the other end is more affordable and you can produce good quality copy wayyyyyy cheaper.

7. redpcar May 19, 2019

Large shipment? 57 Rolex watches or 57 cases of Rolex watches? Your average dealer in China has 57 Rolex's on display with another 10 cases under the counter.

"The shipment contained 57 Rolex watches, 19 Oakley sunglasses, four Michael Kors handbags, and five Hublot watches, all determined to be counterfeit by CBP’s trade experts at the Centers of Excellence and Expertise."

Must be a slow news day there. This is maybe a $7K shipment. $2.5M MSRP. Please :rolleyes:

8. Walrus May 19, 2019

Only repeating what what the Forbes article said. Don’t blame me. Forbes has a watch writer. What I said was tongue in cheap but cnc and printing in China is much cheaper than here. Still my don’t worry about fakes was not serious I guess I wrote it so it sounded serious

mancio likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 19, 2019

they just printed a piece that Cloony's Omega was made from Moon Gold... they have top notch watch writers over there....

10. Walrus May 19, 2019

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 19, 2019

that is not what that thread is saying. Of course something in the correct format will show up as an acceptable serial number since Rolex is now random and does not contain check numbers. Rolex never confirmed that number, just a checker that validates its in the correct format.

12. Walrus May 19, 2019

Y
    ya I can’t find the Forbes article I read. I’m not debating there are several people on Reddit who brought it up, laser etching real serial numbers which are dumped all over the internet. I did myself that is listing serial numbers and reference to it was made in an article I read it’s no big deal to me I’m not the end all be all. I know my Cellini dial is black but done up with a very nice holographic Rolex wording you can see as you move the watch. Holograms were a reliable form of security but not any longer. I’m surprised people even doubt this can happen. It’s been going on with currency for years. Certain countries were able to make “super money” in usd which even amazed the secret service. Germany had the English pound down perfect. This really isn’t that far out in thought. Then again I worked with guys coming out of prison for many years and when you learn how creative the criminal mind can be I don’t bat an eye at these things. If you find it impossible more power to you. Fakes are a multi billion dollar a year business. So China can hack into and grab the info of every DOD worker but they can’t laser etch or 3D molds. Sorry maybe sixteen years working with guys in and out of prison has jaded me. You will even see China put on shows of steaming rolling counterfeit goods once in a while. It’s just for show. Ever notice how Russia’s spacecraft looks so much like our discovery? Was that just coincidence. China has stole and perfected so much high tech from us we in a major way made them what they are. So yeah, you are right, I guess a super copy of a watch is completely unrealistic. My bad.

Edited May 20, 2019