Forums Latest Members
  1. Waskracht Nov 14, 2015

Hi guys,

Since a few months I've got a very nice Omega Seamaster Cosmic (136.017 Tool 107). Keeps perfect time, new leather strap and I love it. However, the crown had a little bit of play when I got it, and I didn't give it a lot of thought but after coming home today I noticed I lost the crown (and stem). :(

I hate it that I have to get another crown/stem, because as far as I know it was the original one that came with the watch.

I decided that I would look for it myself, as with the omega dealer around the corner they insisted it needs to be send to Omega Zwitserland (and matching prices), and added that there is no way that you can find a stem/crown by yourself.

Didn't get a nice feeling at the shop, so I would like to run it by you guys. I can find a couple of correct Omega Seamaster Cosmic crowns on Ebay, (same diameter, 4,5mm) but the length with stem differs between 5,1 and 4,7mm.

So my question, should I order one of these crowns? and if yes, which size stem do I need?

I'll add a couple of pictures (one before the crown was lost, and the rest as it is now. Sorry for the quality, photos taken at night)
    IMAG1840.jpg WP_20150927_001[1].jpg IMAG1838.jpg IMAG1845.jpg

Thanks!

2. Canuck Nov 14, 2015

The correct stem can only be determined if you find out what calibre (model number) the movement is. That will require opening the watch up. On this model, that can be a challenge unless you have the correct tools. The replacement crown will have to be a correct fit for the case tube which I suspect is 2.50 mm in diameter. Reading between the lines, I suspect you are going to try to locate a parts source for the stem, and to attempt to do the job yourself. Let us know how you make out. ;)

3. Woodward Nov 15, 2015

The Omega Vintage Database shows the movement of your watch to be a cal. 613:
    http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-...ache=1&cHash=87c97981e8c19e89c8ab8d7e6ceba0d5

Since it is a unishell casing, it must be a split stem. You have probably lost the outer part of the stem, including the crown, and the inner part remains in the watch.
    It may be sufficient to mount a new outer part with a new crown. However, since the joint between the two parts was obviously very loose, there must be a lot of wear and tear there, and it may be best to renew both parts of the stem.
    You can find the split stem from a supplier by the using caliber number for your search. These stems are standard parts and should be cut to the right length of the actual watch.
    The crown should fit the size of the thread on the stem and the diameter of the crown tube (can be measured), and should of course have outer dimensions and design suitable for the watch. If you want the correct Omega replacement crown, you can use the ref. number (136.017 or sometimes 136.0017) for your search.
    Judging by your pictures, the crown tube looks worn. To get a good tight seal, it may also be necessary to renew this.

As Canuck writes, this watch needs to be opened by removing the glass, and you need a special tool for that. And another tool to reseat the glass afterwards. Renewing the stem and crown is a job where you could make a lot of costly mistakes, including damage to the movement itself.
    For a qualified vintage watchmaker, it is childs play though - provided there are no other things wrong with the movement, it will take him about 15 minutes.

I would not do it myself. You have a nice watch there with some value to it. Locate a good vintage watchmaker in your area - perhaps by the help of the good people on this forum - and ask him to do it.

Best regards

4. Waskracht Nov 15, 2015

Thanks for the reply Canuck & Woodward, I suppose I need to go to a watchmaker after all. I've heard of a good one, although he lives on the other side of the country its still worth the visit because I dont want to ruin the watch.

Will call first if he can order a correct crown for the watch. Will keep you posted!

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 15, 2015

Crown is Omega parts 069ST42527. Crown half of the split stem is part 081ST9992.

If you need the movement half of the stem, two options are listed and vary in length. If the current half stem is 9.65 mm total length, then it is part 72206131159. If it is 10.95 mm long then it is part 72206131160.

Cheers, Al

6. Waskracht Nov 16, 2015

Thanks for the reply Al, do you know if I can order Omega parts online?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 16, 2015

Some third party supply houses might have them, otherwise you need a watchmaker with a parts account to do the work.

Cheers, Al

8. dan7800 Nov 16, 2015

Great watch. I have the same one.

9. Waskracht Nov 17, 2015

Hi dan7800, exactly the same? (would love to see a picture ;)

10. Waskracht Jan 6, 2016

Hi Guys, just wanted to let you know that I've got the watch back from the watchmaker. He ordered the correct stem/crown for the watch and since I was already there, I had it serviced as well. Looking good again! Thanks for your help!

IMAG1984.jpg IMAG2004.jpg
    Puma_135o and Woodward like this.