Forums Latest Members
  1. CLJones Apr 13, 2016

All, I could use some suggestions on replacing the back on a 1964, 18K yellow gold, 17 jewel, manual-wind Omega. It is a 269 caliber with serial number 21584443. The back (which is now missing) had marks on the inside indicating that it was 18K (.750) gold, and it had the case number 121003 stamped on the inside. Outside diameter of case is 33.5mm and the lip diameter is 31.2mm.

The watch is in working order; in fact I wear (wore) it as my daily watch. However, on a cold day, the back came off the case while I was walking down a busy street in heavy snow. Sadly I did not notice until later that day.

The local watch repair place was no real help, so I sent it in to Omega (Swatch) to the vintage repair facility in Switzerland, and they happily quoted me $5,100 to replace the back. That being a bit rich for my blood, I'm looking for other options for a new back.

As a thought, I saw on a 2014 thread that there might be someone who has (could obtain) a sapphire back for a vintage Omega. If that's true, I'd love to have your thoughts on obtaining such a back for my watch.

Any thoughts/suggestions of where to look for a solution would be appreciated. Thanks for the help....

Edited Apr 16, 2016
  2. DON Apr 13, 2016

Must wear your watches pretty loose for the back to just fall off and out.

All snap backs are pretty much hand fitted with little adjustments made to fit properly after stamping. Odds of another back fitting right are slim.

Also, Need to find the right back to match your case style - odds of that are slim and none.

Could try locating a goldsmith metal worker to create a new back, but even that could run a $1000.

Sapphire backs work great with screw backs. Not with snap backs as backs need to be pried off to work on movement and this could case the glass to pop out.

Other suggestion and seen some do it.

Plexi crystal that's used as the back. Tool squeezes it down, inserted into back, tool releases it and pressure holds it in place if there's room to do it

Got your see through back and back in one

DON

3. CLJones Apr 13, 2016

Thanks for the insight, Don!

I'm willing too look into the goldsmith option; I'm sure there's a few around here. However, the Plexi Crystal option is interesting...any suggestions about who might do that sort of work?

(BTW, you're right. I do (did) wear it pretty loose. It has a gold band (not original leather) that my grandfather put on it in '65, and it's a bit loose on me.)

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 13, 2016

Couple of pics of watch and case lip available might help others with suggestions.

Some one might have a case back off the watch in SS that would fit if you show pictures of the watch. Many here have parts watches for projects and may not need case back....

5. CLJones Apr 13, 2016

Good idea, Standy. I'll take some close ups and post them tomorrow. What is 'SS' that you mentioned?

Meanwhile, I did look into Don's suggestion about plexi crystal. Looks like a possibility. Saw tools from Esslinger.com and crystal sizes that might work.

Edited Apr 13, 2016
  6. DON Apr 13, 2016

SS is stainless steel. best if you can show the watch to see case design

DON

OMGRLX likes this.
  7. CLJones Apr 13, 2016

Right, makes sense, Don. I'll get the pictures up tomorrow. Thanks.

8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 13, 2016

So sorry this happened to you CLJones.

Thanks for joining and asking your question in this thread. It will be interesting to follow.

I've entertained horrible thoughts of a lost snap back or bezel and hate to hear that it happened.

9. CLJones Apr 15, 2016

All, below are some photos that hopefully are good enough to help those smarter than me with identifying some possible replacement options. Looking at the lip more closely, I'm no longer sure that the Plexi Crystal is going to be an option. Thoughts?

Omega Front2a.jpg Omega Side2a.jpg Omega Side1a.jpg Omega Back 1.JPG
  10. DON Apr 15, 2016

Crystals not going to be an option. There are other types that fit around lips, but that would also require the uses of crystal glue

Making a replacement back is fine for sentimental reasons. If none. Sell it off and buy a replacement or something else.

Unfortunately - Value is maybe 20% over scrap + movement value - $150 - $175

Even with measurements as I mentioned. People sending or buying replacement backs is a crap shoot. Who knows how many similar cases Omega made with similar looking backs. None of which will fit another watch.

DON

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 15, 2016

How about finding the same model watch in stainless steel and once confirming that the back fits snugly having it plated to match the finish of the case? That would probably be the most cost effective option.

felsby, OMGRLX and STANDY like this.
  12. Lennov Apr 15, 2016

I don't know the measures, but maybe (something like) this could be a good basis, on which a goldsmith could adapt it to your case?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/172165849019Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

13. CLJones Apr 16, 2016

Lennov, interesting link. I've asked the seller to send the measurements. Could be something to work with. I looked up the 131026 model number on the listing to see if the case diameter was listed. Wasn't there, but a 131015 was listed which has the same diameter as my 121003. (https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-details/14773/) Anyone have a tutorial on what the numbers on the back mean for this vintage of watch? (From looking at the omegawatches.com vintage area, I've deduced that the '1' on first digit means manual, the second digit '2' means subordinate second hand and '3' means coaxial, and the third digit '1' means leather band. Don't know what the rest of the digits mean.)

MSNWatch, thanks for the tip on plating a SS back. I did find a shop (not local) that has a large supply of 60's vintage SS backs. Might be something in the batch that close enough for a jeweler to tweak to match to the case.

Don, you're right...the economics don't really work out on this one unless it's for sentimental reasons, but....it is. Grandfather's watch...

Thanks for the advice, so far. I'll keep you all informed of the progress.

OMGRLX and chronos like this.
  14. DON Apr 16, 2016

Seller mentioned diameter of back at 30 mm. Thats the diameter of your movement. Your case is probably 35 mm, so that back won't work

DON

15. CLJones Apr 16, 2016

Good point, Don. I noticed that, too. I'm hoping that the seller (who hasn't responded, yet) was generically saying that the back was to a 30mm Omega---meaning the 30mm family of movements. As for my actual case size, you were very close; the lip for the back is 31.2mm & the actual case diameter is 33.5mm.

16. Lennov Apr 16, 2016

An "Encoding" of the Omega reference codes you find here:

http://www.old-omegas.com/omrefcod.html

This is for the first three digits. The last ones are a history number.

I'm shure you will find a fitting case back. If not the one from the auction here, then an other one. And it depends from the skillfulness of the goldsmith, how perfect he will adapt it to your watch.

Maybe also consider a dental tecnician for adaption, just as an idea..

17. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 16, 2016

18. CLJones Apr 16, 2016

Lennov, Thanks for the link. That's exactly what I was looking for.

All....Well, the seller of the gold caseback on eBay did get back to me.
    Outside diameter of back: 30.1 mm (My case is 33.5mm)
    Inside the lip diameter of the back: 28.8 mm (My case is 31.2mm)

That makes the case .9 inches / 2.4mm too small. Am doubting that a goldsmith could make that work. Thoughts?

(Interesting photo Peemcgee...not sure what to think of it...but thanks for sharing! :) )

19. stillcrazy Apr 16, 2016

There is a company in Fla. that makes backs and bezels, First off he's not cheap, but he does great work, he does work in gold. They have made backs for me in the past.

20. CLJones Apr 16, 2016

Stillcrazy, Interesting...do you happen to remember the name of the company in Fla?