Forums Latest Members

Lost An Auction On Ebay; Seller Sends Message Proposing Second Item For My Max Bid...

1. Tom_Hanx May 27, 2013

Hi fellas,

I was bidding on the weekend - lost, when item climbed 3x above my best bid.

Today I got an eBay message (as in my eBay inbox) from seller, saying:

Item is not rare, so having multiple items is not shocking - we're talking dealership clocks, so not exactly lemon dial Daytonas or such... Seller has 100% feedback but low sale count and all sales were private, so I cannot see if he sold $1 stamps or $10,000 watches...

How does one proceed safely forward? Tips and ideas welcome

2. Trev The Architect Staff Member May 27, 2013

Simply ask him to list it as a buy-it-now auction.

Spy and Archer like this.
  3. pascs May 27, 2013

Are you sure that its a genuine email from the seller?

I once had a 2nd chance offer for a watch I had bid on. I was skeptical about the 2nd chance offer as I was far down the bidding list and emailed the seller directly from the original ebay ad to confirm. Turns out it was hoax

4. Trev The Architect Staff Member May 27, 2013

You're right. It's a very common scam, but I'm assuming Tom_Hanx has this message sitting in his actual Ebay account (on the web). :)

5. Tom_Hanx May 27, 2013

Your assumption is correct - I would not entertain this for a second if it were not part of My eBay Inbox.

6. ulackfocus May 27, 2013

Lemon dial Daytonas.... :p

7. Tom_Hanx May 27, 2013

8. pascs May 27, 2013

Ah ok, as long as its in your ebay inbox then should be fine.

This was the hoax email that I received but not to my ebay inbox............looks almost identical to a genuine 2nd chance offer.

[​IMG]

9. Spy You know my name. May 28, 2013

I agree with Trev. Ask the seller to post it on eBay with a Buy It Now. That way you will have eBay on your side if the deal goes south.

10. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. May 28, 2013

I got my Sm300 on a second chance offer due to a no-pay too. The seller sent me an ebay message with the option to select a BIN. That protects from you and the seller. If it is legit, the seller should not reject such a proposal.

11. Tom_Hanx May 29, 2013

I suggested what all agreed here: ask seller to list item, so I can buy it. Reply follows:

I have little time to research new seller limitations, or anything else; if we spend so much time negotiating something obvious and simple, I can only guess what the deal will be. Maybe he is a genuinely nice guy, I don't know; fact is, this does not give me peace or comfort.

Am I paranoid?

12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 29, 2013

Not at all - you are drawing the obvious conclusion - that's total BS.

BTW, good to see you here.

Tom_Hanx likes this.
  13. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank May 29, 2013

As someone who sells on eBay for myself and the shop I work for we never send a 2nd chance offer anymore, waste of time as most people will not respond.

14. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist May 29, 2013

I bought my Memovox on a second-chance offer because buyer and seller "couldn't agree on shipping". I got the feeling right away that it might have been buyer and shill that couldn't come to an agreement, but I bought it any way. I suspect many of these second chances come after a shill has felt out the max bids.

15. ulackfocus May 29, 2013

Bingo.

danomar likes this.
  16. webvan May 29, 2013

Yes that's also been my feeling when receiving second chance offers...but it often works as you're happy to get a second chance and if that's what you were ready to pay, well...

The OP did not get a second chance offer though, just a "buy outside eBay" offer...not a very honest seller. Having said that the Paypal offer should work the same (no clock -> refund, not as described -> expert report -> refund)?and AFAIK in case of a problem with an eBay auction paid with Paypal, eBay will refer you direct to Paypal. And if paid differently you're SOL.

17. Tom_Hanx May 30, 2013

Thank you, Lou -- good to be here; since my son was born I have had little time to my obsession and since it is in small chunks as well, I have secluded to Twitter. Now that we are (both) starting to find our feet, I'm happy to come back to some friends. You, Dennis and a few others have always been good to me, so - good to be here!