Forums Latest Members
  1. jrhave2 May 15, 2018

Just purchased a Seamaster Cosmic from ebay, and while I'm incredibly happy with the quality of the watch overall, when the watch arrived the movement is lose. I've never encountered this before. When I wind the crown, the dial moves roughly 2 to 5 degrees. Picture of the movement is below. I'm trying to quickly determine if this is an easy fix, or if I need to look into returning it to the seller. @Archer does anything stick out to you as a major issue that would prevent this movement from properly mounting? As always - thank you all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WhatYourWatchSay May 15, 2018

Should these have a brass ring that the movement locks onto with a slight twist?

[​IMG]

3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 15, 2018

Does the crown fit properly? If the gasket inside the crown is perished it could allow some slight rotation of the movement. Also if the two pieces of the split stem are worn this could also allow the movement to rotate slightly.

Edited May 15, 2018
  4. AJDay May 15, 2018

Looks like there are two case clips (top and bottom of the movement picture) - if one isn't rotated into place, under a lip, then the movement could rotate...

If you pop off the back you should be able to tell if this is the case.

5. jrhave2 May 15, 2018

Thanks so much! I'll check these out this evening. I was hesitant to have anyone look at it because I'm still within the return window, but I love the rest of the watch enough that I think I'll gamble a bit and have it looked at. I called my local watchmaker and these are all fairly minor things to fix, if they are indeed the issue. Thanks again!

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 15, 2018

Maybe it's because it should have a 752, not a 601 movement.

That's not a fairly minor thing to fix.

7. ulackfocus May 16, 2018

Hahahahahahahahahaha! I think the OP needs a lesson in what post-1962 Omega reference numbers mean! Here's the first 3 digits:

1 = man's watch
    6 = self winding center seconds
    6 = water resistant case w/ date

@jrhave2 - you bought a frankenwatch, and the quack / butcher who created it didn't even bother putting an automatic inside. No freakin' wonder it doesn't fit correctly!

Edited May 16, 2018
    chipsotoole likes this.
  8. ulackfocus May 16, 2018

Here's a scan of the page in AJTT (originally from the OmegaMania auction) that shows the codes, courtesy of www.omega-fanatics.com:

main254.jpg

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  9. jrhave2 May 16, 2018

Holy hell. There are several things that are both funny and sad about this:

1. I know better. I did exactly what @ConElPueblo and dozens of others have warned against on this forum. I decided not to put any of my knowledge to use, and because the seller had tons of positive feedback and was in AUS, I threw in a bid. I've been on here for over a year, have made several successful purchases, and still have clearly learned nothing LOL. I hang my head in shame ::facepalm1::.
    2. Mostly, this was out of frustration that I've been looking for a specific piece for 6+ months, and haven't found one yet worth buying. I had the itch to buy and so I did. Again, I've been warned about this behavior multiple times and did it anyway.
    3. I was so caught up in the usual analysis (Redial? Movement Issues? Signs of damage? etc...) that I didn't even pay attention to the damn reference numbers, or do a simple search to ensure it was the correct movement. I completely deserve the flogging from @ulackfocus on this. Fortunately, this wasn't an expensive mistake.

All of that aside. Do I return the watch so the seller can just send it back out into the market when another poor soul doesn't do the research? I'm tempted to negotiate a partial refund just to prevent this from going back out onto ebay. Thoughts? Maybe I should take one for the team.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 16, 2018

No

jrhave2 likes this.
  11. ulackfocus May 16, 2018

It's okay. This place is like confession - once you admit your sins, we (kinda) forgive you. Everyone makes mistakes regardless of experience.

That itch needs to be tempered with patience. If it's worth anything to you, I spent YEARS searching out the best examples of vintage Longines (as several members who now own them can attest). Having drive is great. Being impetuous is not.

Again, it's an error that anyone can make. It's almost like you need a checklist of what to inspect for every damn vintage watch!

*Consider yourself part of the Club. A flogging from me is a badge of honor for some. :p

Answering that is easy - do you think you'll need the parts and is the price low enough to use it as a parts watch? If that answer is yes, then keep it. If the answer is no (and it should be if over $150), then return it.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  12. WhatYourWatchSay May 16, 2018

If it helps I've made worse purchases, in one case an Omega that didn't even have an Omega movement.

If you like the case maybe you can hold onto it and wait and see if a movement/dial/hands pop up on ebay. You can always sell the 601 to offset the purchase of the other movement.

13. jrhave2 May 16, 2018

If the seller will work with me a little, I think I'll do just that. It's a shame - each component on it's own is in great shape. I tested the movement yesterday and it was incredibly accurate over 24 hours. The case is sharp and you can still see the original brushing in the sunlight. If nothing else, this might turn into 3 separate projects for the future! Thanks again for all the help.

14. Edward53 May 16, 2018

Absolutely, return it. If he's an honest seller he'll apologise profusely, take it back and sell it as parts. If not, well taking one for the team is very noble and all that but nobody is ever going to thank you, and if he was happy to sell you a franken watch then holding onto it won't stop him selling another, maybe several. King Canute couldn't stop the tide and you can't either. There is nothing wrong with looking after yourself.

paulwatch001 likes this.
  15. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 16, 2018

My suggestion would be to return the watch. Nice and correct examples can be easily found. Trying to fix a franken would be throwing good money after bad.

16. ulackfocus May 16, 2018

You'll regret buying that watch at some point in the near future, so return it now while you can. It will just end up costing you hundreds and hundreds of dollars if you try to make it right, and even then it'll sit, forgotten, in a drawer or box.

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 16, 2018

I think you should return it.
    While the description and the photographs clearly show what you purchased, some of the statements in the description are clearly incorrect (Underlined/Italics by me).

Just be polite and tell the seller you had the watch checked by a number of experienced Omega collectors who pointed out the issues and you would like to return the watch.

Rare Vintage Untouched OMEGA Seamaster Cosmic Manual Wind S/Steel Mens Wrist Watch (Not correct, the watch is not "untouched" and it should be an automatic).
    Takes Full Wind ~ All Functions Work Correctly
    In Excellent
    Original Untouched Condition (Not correct, the movement/dial has been changed out for a different one).
    With Original Finish Visible
    Correct 40mm x 35mm Signed Case
    (Not correct for a caliber 601, the case should house a caliber 752).
    Clear Seahorse To Caseback
    Serial No 250 xxx xx Dates To 1967
    Clean Omega Calibre 601 17 Jewel Movement
    (Not correct for this case/reference).
    Clear Original Omega Plexi Crystal
    Has Minor Blemishes ~ See Pics ~
    Superb Original Steel Blue Dial
    (Not original to this reference, it should be a day/date dial).
    Original Omega Winding Crown
    On New Unworn Black Leather Strap
    Fits Up To 7.75 Inch Wrist

WhatYourWatchSay and Dan S like this.
  18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 16, 2018

Dan S likes this.