Forums Latest Members
  1. wheresHQ Aug 20, 2016

Hey guys,

First post. I recently purchased an omega in the states. Seller said that it's in mint condition, but I decided to check it by asking my brother to bring it to my local omega boutique for a tech checkup.

The tech informed my brother (I'm still overseas, but saw this watch and had to have it so i bought it) that the caseback had to be adjusted. The crown is also a bit loose and he suggested replacing it. The movement is fine. The technician recommended a complete maintenance, but I think that a full maintenance to replace a crown, is excessive.

Should I take the technician's word and follow through with the servicing? It'll be $710 plus tax since my watch is an automatic chronograph. I prefer not to spend money foolishly.

It doesn't look bad in those pictures. Its a screw in crown, but do you guys think that water or dirt will still be able to find its way into the watch because the crown is loose? Thanks in advance.

ref#2512.30.00

IMG_1008.JPG IMG_1009.JPG IMG_1010.JPG
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 20, 2016

If its second hand it's worth a service for 4-5 years of peace of mind.

3. wheresHQ Aug 20, 2016

Alright. I shall consider your advice. Thanks!

4. Kja Aug 20, 2016

A tech at the boutique said a brand new seamaster screw down crown is loose? Sounds fishy.. I would get another point of view of I was you.

5. wheresHQ Aug 20, 2016

It's a second hand Omega. If I could buy this new, I'd be so happy. It's a shame that it got discontinued. I'm not a big fan of the teak dial Aqua Terras.

6. M'Bob Aug 20, 2016

Had a loose crown too. Dentist said gum recession was responsible. Never mind...

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 20, 2016

When was it last serviced?

8. wheresHQ Aug 20, 2016

Tbh I don't know. (I know I should have asked this before buying it.) I'm assuming he hasn't serviced it since his job had him traveling to wherever the company wanted him to be.

I'll reach out to the seller.

9. wheresHQ Aug 20, 2016

So it's never been serviced. I'll have my brother swing by the 5th ave omega boutique once he returns from Boston. I'm most likely going to go ahead with the complete maintenance even though the movement is in great shape. (The tech tested the timekeeping and said its fine)

Thanks for everyone's attention to this matter.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 20, 2016

Timekeeping is not a reliable indicator of the condition of the movement...