Forums Latest Members

Looking to remove the polished center's on Speedmaster Pro - What are my options?

1. Lrlx Jul 6, 2015

Hey all. A few months ago I sold my Rolex Submariner to Kringkily and picked up a Speedmaster Pro 3570.50...a grail of mine since college days. I had full intention of buying a vintage model with the solid 1711 bracelet but wasn't patient enough. I now regret that decision as the lack of taper and polished bracelet haven't won me over. I've searched countless threads but the answers aren't clear so I decided to post. I read about 1711/A bracelets being of lower quality than the vintage 1711 model. My questions are:

1] Can someone suggest the optimal vintage bracelet + end link combination for the 3570.50? Solid end links are preferred if possible.
    2] Where can I source the bracelet and end link?
    3] Is there a end-link that is shorter in height so that it doesn't extend past the lugs?
    4] Is 'refinishing' the stock bracelet an option?

General advice would be appreciated.

2. yinzerniner Jul 6, 2015

Here are some responses to your questions, take all with a grain of salt since every point is just my $.02
    1) I think numerous people think the 1499.1400 bracelet is the best compromise between classic taper and modern quality. It's not a push button clasp but it stays very secure
    2) Ofrei is usually the easiest to source from directly, although you can always try the local or closes Omega Boutique. Also, independent jewelers and watchmakers can have access, but pricing / availability / wait times vary greatly
    3) No idea about the end links. Do the 840 / 849 end links really extend that far? Care to add a pic to illustrate the issue?
    4) Refinishing is always an option, however it's usually somewhat frowned upon. Getting a brushed finished on the thin polished parts of the center links will take time, effort, money, or possibly all three, so if you're comfortable with the looks and ergonomics of the older bracelets that would probably be the better option.

See here for some info on the different Speedy Pro bracelets over the years:
    http://www.omega-addict.com/reviews/bracelets/

Lrlx likes this.
  3. Lrlx Jul 6, 2015

Thank you! Ofrei only seems to have the hollow 1711 and doesn't seem to have the 1499.1400. As for the end link length, I was just hoping for something shorter if possible but its not a deal breaker. The watch wears slimmer on a strap vs oem steel.

4. 736007 Jul 7, 2015

Look for an 1171 with 633 Endlinks.
    I use it on my actually Speedy.
    In my Opionion one of the best Compromise, because you can get this Vintagelooking Bracelet as a new one. So it looks best on a actually Speedy.

Jens

Lrlx likes this.
  5. shoota70 Jul 7, 2015

I just have a hard time with hollow end links

persco and Lrlx like this.
  6. Lrlx Jul 7, 2015

Thats why i'm hoping for a 1711 + SEL combination somewhere...

7. shoota70 Jul 7, 2015

does this exist?

Lrlx likes this.
  8. yinzerniner Jul 7, 2015

Just an FYI, the bracelet part is 1171, NOT 1711.

And no, there has never been an 1171 style bracelet with SEL's as far as I can tell. Best bet would be to see if anyone could do a custom job recreating the hollow end links as solid, but as for OEM Omega part no chance.

Lrlx likes this.
  9. Lrlx Jul 7, 2015

Thanks for clarifying! The non-sel endlinks looks scary as if they would just cut up the case.

10. 736007 Jul 7, 2015

You can try the 1171 with 808 Sel Endlinks from the 1450 Bracelet.
    There is a 0,5mm Space.

11. Lrlx Jul 7, 2015

12. Lrlx Jul 8, 2015

In my opinion they are a bit long. Here is a pic.

The red shows the 'shoulders' and how it extends passed the lug by a hair. However the bigger problem comes from the center link, which extends passed the lugs further causing the area where the bracelet folds over to meet at a hard angle.

[​IMG]

The 808 endlinks suggested are not perfect, but are shorter endlink allows the bracelet to hug the wrist sooner without the hard angle. Maybe that is the solution for me.

[​IMG]