Forums Latest Members

WTB Looking to purchase a Speedmaster 2998

1. FRNicholas Jul 24, 2014

Hi,
    New to this forum and watch collecting. I am looking to purchase a Speedmaster 2998 in good condition, please let me know if you know of anyone selling or anything i should watch out for when making a purchase. All tips are much appreciated!

Thanks,
    FRNicholas

2. repoman Jul 24, 2014

::popcorn::

3. RCAFBuster Jul 25, 2014

Having just been through this exercise, do your homework! There are a number of pieces out there that are 'bitsas', so take your time and spend more on a perfect example from a reputable forum member or dealer.

FRNicholas likes this.
  4. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 25, 2014

Here's how to find a good conditon 2998:

1. buy this: http://www.moonwatchonly.com/Moonwatch_Only/Moonwatch_Only_EN.html
    2. read the sections on 2998's.
    3. read them again and compare them to later versions. Make notes, if that helps.
    4. set up appropriate google searches and ebay searches, regularly check watch websites like this one, Chrono24 etc.
    5. Sign up for auction house notifiications and keep an eye on their catalogues.
    6. when you see one that appeals & is in your price range, exercise your judgment and your new found knowledge to work out how original the watch is & whether it is worth the asking price.
    7. repeat step 6 until you are successful.

If you want to a quicker route than that, you're going to have to try to prize one out of the hands of someone who already owns one. Best make a special arrangment with your bank before you commit to that as a strategy - the good ones stay very firmly embedded in most people's collections.

5. cristos71 Jul 25, 2014

Nice that you took the time to type what most people were thinking.;)

6. JohnSteed Jul 25, 2014

FRNicholas, Welcome to OF!!

I assume you're seeking the 2998 because you already have other Speedys? If so, wanna show us photos?

That said, as you're new to watch collecting, what led you to 2998s. One's journey is usually quit interesting.

FRNicholas likes this.
  7. FRNicholas Jul 25, 2014

Much appreciated! I have been looking and reading through various blogs/magazines and wanted to see if you all had some reliable resources. I will order the book tonight. After doing some more research (yes, just since last night), I quickly realized that I need to look much more into the different refs of the speedys and see what exactly it is that I want. Thanks again for hooking me up with some good resources and processes on how to buy, looking forward to posting pics when I find something!

Frank

JohnSteed and SpikiSpikester like this.
  8. FRNicholas Jul 25, 2014

Thank you! Looking forward to starting my collection. No actually, I read a number of articles and blogs and realized that when it comes to Speedys, the 2998 is pretty much the mac daddy. Did some more research and quickly realized that I need to look a bit more into the refs of these and figure out exactly what it is I want.

I am buying this watch as a gift to myself for completing Graduate School while working, very excited to start collecting and learning more.

JohnSteed likes this.
  9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 25, 2014

I wonder why you are settling?

the 2915 is surely the mac daddy?

10. JohnSteed Jul 25, 2014

CONGRATS !!!

Like that view!! May just be a bit more ... um ... style (aka $) for me right now. LoL

11. FRNicholas Jul 25, 2014

lol same, when I saw what one on good condition goes for... I realized that It's going to take a bit more time (and maybe a few more degrees) to get to the point where I can get one.

12. JohnSteed Jul 25, 2014

Yeah...no worries there either

For starters, there are some great Speedys out there ... and on our for sale posts.

The book is a great place to start with Speedys. Wish I had it last year

FRNicholas likes this.
  13. mojothewolf Jul 27, 2014

"Mac daddy" I like this ....

[​IMG]