Forums Latest Members

Looking to get my first omega, is this worth bidding?

1. Xandtheman Aug 13, 2017

Hey I'm new to all this and was wondering if you guys could give me a little guidance. Seller claims it's all oringinal (seems too good to be true). Also should I not go with something that has a Day date for my first omega? Worried if upkeep is going to be very expensive. I would appreciate any help and insight. Thank you!

IMG_2764.PNG IMG_2765.PNG IMG_2766.PNG IMG_2767.PNG
  2. Davidt Aug 13, 2017

The good news is you've got some reasonable pics and the reference number.

I don't know much about these 70's models but it looks like it could be ok.

Use the reference number to search for other examples and compare the font of the text, finish of the case etc to see if it looks correct.

I would say that looking at the dirt in the finer areas, it suggests to me that this has been given a quick spit and polish before sale, rather than a thorough clean and service. Also, these aren't highly collectible at the minute so shouldn't be too expensive.

3. Xandtheman Aug 13, 2017

I did some research and the fonts seem correct but I'm a complete novice. I really appreciate you're help/input.
    I appreciate you're help. I'll continue to compare pictures. The fonts seemed to be on par with what I've seen but I'm a complete novice at this. I've wanted a vintage omega for the longest time and this would be my first high end watch brand I'd own. I greatly appreciate your input. Thank you!

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 13, 2017

It's real, the day date feature does not really add much cost to a service.

My concern on this specific watch is that the bracelet will be pretty irreplaceable. Integrated lugs mean off the shelf bracelets don't exist and Omega would not likely have any more.

What this means is if the bracelet has missing links and adjusted to small for you then your out of luck. Once it stretches your out of luck. Getting a custom leather strap made for it will not be an easy process.

This watch needs a service so add about 300usd for that. Expect one every 5 years or so.

I don't know your budget but I think their might be better choice out there for a new collector who wants to wear the watch.

kingsrider likes this.
  5. Xandtheman Aug 13, 2017

The service part doesn't really bother me. But the whole bracelet situation might be a deal breaker for me. I didn't even think about that, glad I joined this forum. Thank you for your advice, I'll keep searching!

6. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Aug 13, 2017

My advice is, keep looking. Use the forum and it will payoff.

Xandtheman likes this.