Forums Latest Members
  1. petay Feb 4, 2016

Hi all, First post so please be kind.

I currently have 2 modern sports watches, a Speedmaster pro on a nato and a Rolex Exploer 2 16650 and i wabt to get a nice vintage omega on a leather strap to wear as something a bit more dressy at times. I am quite keen on the older constellations with seamasters a close second - stainless steel preferred.

I have done some research but vintage watches seem to be a bit of a mine field. What should i be looking to pay in the UK for a clean example of something not overly rare? Say a constellation 168.015 (these have caught my eye).

Also I know redials are not preferred but if a watch has had a redial who is generally preferred to have done the work to give 100% accuracy?

thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Pete

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 4, 2016

Doesn't exist! That's the problem. Even the best redials people round here can identify.

Price? are you after a pie-pan dial or some dial? Pie pans go for more, so for Good condition, stainless steel, us$1000+

First thing to do is read this
    http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com.au/?m=1
    Cover to cover!

terryb111 likes this.
  3. BBunter Feb 4, 2016

One thing to bear in mind is import tax if you are buying from outside the EU. It gets expensive :(

(unless others know a way of avoiding it)

4. petay Feb 4, 2016

I am pretty critical and have an eye for detail so have been able to pick a few faults in watches i know to have been redialed - usually the italic font used for the word constellation (or seamaster) is wrong on the s,n's or a's in the few i have looked at.

I terms o dial preference - i do like the pie pan dials but i am not overly fussed at this stage as its more about getting a clean example i can wear regularly and from there i can decide if i want to pursue a collection.

out of interest does anyone in the UK on here have experience of buying from members or small dealers in the US? what's the pain with customs and vat charges?

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 4, 2016

Here is my SS pie pan
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

petay likes this.
  6. petay Feb 4, 2016

now that is lovely and wears exactly how i want. What sort of price would that command? (i would have to buy inside the EU but a dollar value gives me an idea)

I have a decent budget for the right watch. I had tried the vintage Omega boutique in Burlington Arcade London but their prices were just Mental to the point i could just go and buy a very tidy PO8500 for the cost of there "entry level" stock

7. terryb111 Feb 4, 2016

I'm going to tag along in this thread if you don't mind, I'm looking for exactly the same as you and also find it a complete mine field. My preference would be a constellation with seamaster a close second. I like the pie pan but I prefer the look of the non pie pan with a splash of gold

8. Davidt Feb 4, 2016

If you have a couple of modern watches, fancy one noce vintage but perhaps don't have an eye on being a collector (and so it's not likely you'll put in the hours of research required to be able to tell for yourself), I'd strongly recommend keeping an eye on the FS forum here. Read up on previous FS threads to get an idea of who is trusted and lists desireable watches that sell, and who lists pages of items that don't.

Many watches come from the US but even with import duty, it's often comparable to what you'll pay in the UK. Some sellers might also be able to help with shipping;).

David (from the UK).

9. petay Feb 4, 2016

Thanks David - i do plan on keeping a look out on this forum.

I have already started to put some effort into research as it's actually something i enjoy about anything i do (Woodwork, Photography being 2 things i am pretty much self taught in). I am not sure at this stage if i will become a vintage collector or not but there are certainly a few other models i am keen on from Omega and JLC.

I guess my view at this stage is to get something nice i can enjoy wearing and see what that leads to.

10. petay Feb 4, 2016

can i ask peoples opinions on this one please and lets see how my knowledge is doing - looks like an original dial to me although the only images i have found elsewhere show a cross hair dial but it is stated other dials may have existed. It also looks like the batons have the original trinium on them. The acrylic appears to have the Omega symbol as it should but i am unsure on of the crown is correct. The case looks to have been polished at some point in time but not recently as there are some scratches visible.

please do correct me or add to the above as its all part of the learning process.... most importantly does this watch look like a decent buy?

11. ConElPueblo Feb 4, 2016

Not very good value for money...

12. petay Feb 4, 2016

may help if i post the link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222011073406?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

ConElPueblo likes this.
  13. terryb111 Feb 4, 2016

As a fellow noob trying to learn id say the dial looks origional as do the hands. I can see the Omega logo on the crystal. The crown looks good and is signed. Medallion looks nice. The bit i struggle with is the polishing. Completely disregard everything i have said and wait for an expert but that is what i see.
    It sure is pretty though

14. ConElPueblo Feb 4, 2016

That's a very good looking watch, albeit rather expensive. Case looks great, as does the hands and dial.

Have a look at this: https://omegaforums.net/threads/stainless-crosshair-omega-constellation-14393.20935/

EDIT: I have been thinking about the price... I know it's not the cheapest of Constellations, but it really is a nice watch. If he had opted to make it an auction listing, my guess is that it would have ended somewhere around £5-600. If I were to buy a constellation myself, this is of a condition that would make me consider sending an offer.

Edited Feb 4, 2016
  15. petay Feb 4, 2016

16. ConElPueblo Feb 4, 2016

Issue? Only issue is that a cross hair dial is, possibly, more sought after. Some people would probably like a dial configuration without cross hairs more.

17. petay Feb 4, 2016

Well i have made an offer as the based on what i have read on this forum the full askingn seemed a bit to high.... lets see what happens

18. terryb111 Feb 4, 2016

Keep us informed, I'm very interested to see how you get on

19. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Feb 4, 2016

I think this is a very nice Connie
    I might even have posted it on the recommended eBay auction thread

Priced a little high but UK auction house versions like this will now command £600+

Cross haired Connies are nice and are around - just less frequently than without

Good luck with your offer
    Factor in a service if it hasn't been done already

20. petay Feb 4, 2016

thanks - no response from the seller yet.... I am at a point where i would not want to go much higher as it will need a service as per the sellers description.

talking of service - who do people recommend at a decent price? I called Swiss Time Services and the price is pretty high. The other option i have found is watchguy but as he only takes on limited work there is no guarantee i will get one of the available spaces. Anyone else I should be looking at?