Forums Latest Members
  1. hoods94 Oct 3, 2013

Hey Guys,

I am in the market for a vintage omega. I have found the style that I am after and am currently following quite a few ebay listings; however I just wanted to be sure I am buying the right watch for the right price before I decide to move forward.

I am a completely new to Omega's and watches in general. My main issue with the watches I am currently considering is price / authenticity - I dont want to buy a watch that is only going to cause me issues + to me it looks like most of these watches have had their dials redone (I am not able to tell the quality of the dials or not). If you could please let me know the price I should be looking to spend and your thoughts on these watches particularly - maybe you could recommend the best out of the listings?

These are the ebay listings.

Listing 1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Listing 2Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Listing 3Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Listing 4Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Listing 5Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Listing 6Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Listing 7Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Listing 8Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Listing 9Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Any feed back would be appreciated - I look forward to learning more about Omegas in general too! :)

Thanks so much for your help :D

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 3, 2013

That might be a bit too many listings tbh, is there a top 3 you have in mind? and could you edit the titles with some descriptions if possible

3. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Oct 3, 2013

I think I'd avoid items from sellers in India or Thailand if you value originality and you're not sure what you're doing.

4. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Oct 3, 2013

Unfortunately for you the style of dial you have chosen as your favorite is also the favorite of the re-dialers from India and Asia. I would not recommend that a beginner/novice be looking in those areas for a vintage watch. All your items from India and Thailand are definitely re-dialed and I suspect the rest are too or at least have other problems. The experts will be along shortly to help you out.

Patrick Dixon likes this.
  5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 3, 2013

The link that is still there is one of the most "faked-up" dials, where they take a real omega and repaint the dial to look like this. The genuine ones, Railmasters, are quite valuable. Search this forum and you can see some originals. Can I suggest you look through the for sales section on this forum for some ideas/ prices.

hoods94 likes this.
  6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 3, 2013

Hi Hood94,
    All of your proposed watches have refinished dial and many incorrect parts (hands, crown, movement parts etc)
    No serious member in here will buy those, especially at their price (many are too high, even for their original condition)
    Be patient. Check the Forum Sales in here to see what is expected, learn a bit by discussing with the experts in here who are very helpful.
    Reduce your Noobie tax (price that we have to pay because of our lack of knowledge. I did several bit myself in my earlier stage last year).

hoods94 likes this.
  7. ulackfocus Oct 3, 2013

It's like a greatest hits of redials done to take money from n00bs. :confused:

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 3, 2013

You need to reassess and come up with a different style that interests you. All of what you posted are fraught with problems and very poor investments. Why not spend some time here looking at the watches members post in the vintage forum and the WRUW section. This will give you some ideas.

sea-2627.jpg

9. 124watchfan Oct 3, 2013

It's the WOW factor. It hypnotizes vintage noobs.

10. hoods94 Oct 3, 2013

Thanks for all the responses guys - this is exactly why I posted before buying. I am really looking forward to learning more about Omega's as I really do love that vintage style.

Hopefully I can find one that suits my tastes that is original. I will continue to browse the forums and hopefully learn a few things along the way.

Cant thank you all enough - everyone on this forum seems super friendly :)

benjclark likes this.
  11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 3, 2013

A word of advice...old watches look old because they are old. Cases have scratches, dials lose luster or look aged and crystals get cracked. It's all part of the fun. Luckily, movements can be experty restored to good running condition on most old Omega watches.

I'd say look for even age throughout the piece. Beat-up movements and new-looking dials are a no-no.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

12. chas1133 Oct 6, 2013

For all you NY'ers (I know you're out there...) there is a good dealer of vintage watches on the Bowery..he always has a full tray full of vintage Omega's and he's a real watch lover himself....his spot faces the sidewalk at 70 Bowery...

13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 6, 2013

That's John Criscitello. I have always found him civil and honest about his watches.

14. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 6, 2013

hmm, we will have to try to work on our rudeness then! :p

15. ulackfocus Oct 6, 2013

Don't even try cutting into my turf. :D

16. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 6, 2013

Yeah, well, there you go. Dennis hadn't shown up yet.

17. Pasbru Oct 6, 2013

I have the perfect watch for you without a doubt, however its a Longines...if you are interested contact me and I can send you some photos, its all original and no worries...think about it and let me know. Cheers

18. ulackfocus Oct 6, 2013

Longines, eh? Shoot me a private message with some pics.