Forums Latest Members
  1. Jon Shores Aug 5, 2014

Hi all,

I am looking for some guidance/tips/advice for buying my first vintage Omega. I have been browsing EBay and am terrified of buying a fake/franeknwatch or getting something that is not as described! I enjoy doing the research and learning about watches in general but I am also wondering what the best online resources for research might be...even though it is probably this forum! I have been eying this Seamaster and am wondering what the group thinks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171406878090Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Mothra Aug 6, 2014

I actually bought a cheap ladies watch from this seller - I was unable to get the case back off and so have not confirmed my suspicion the watch is fake. With a cosmic, the watch movement has to come out through the glass, so I would never buy one sold 'as serviced' without a movement shot as it takes commitment to get in there and check.

3. Dr.Sascha Aug 6, 2014

If you go to the "seller profiles and reviews" forum, you'll get more info on specific sellers. You're really rolling the dice going for an eBay buy from anyone not on that list. You might want to check out the "watches for sale" section here as well. Your best bet is to post in the "wanted to buy" section and also keep an eye on the "for sale." It might take a little patience, but you are guaranteed to end up with an authentic piece, in condition as described, from someone you can trust.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 6, 2014

I'd have to disagree, if you buy from eBay using paypal and credit card you're reasonably well protected, nearly all of my watches have come that way.

5. Dr.Sascha Aug 6, 2014

Ah, but you are an extremely knowledgeable buyer. Do you think it's wise for someone who doesn't necessarily know what to watch out for (no pun intended) to dive in there?

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 6, 2014

I think if you don't know what you're buying you shouldn't be buying anywhere to be frank

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  7. Dr.Sascha Aug 6, 2014

Well put!

8. Jon Shores Aug 6, 2014

Thanks for the advice guys...I appreciate you helping a rookie! I do like the fact that you have the security of PayPal I guess it will just take a little more education and research on my part before I can feel comfortable and confident. Thanks again!

9. Dr.Sascha Aug 6, 2014

If you find something you like, remember to post pix of it here on the forums. Folks with real expertise, like dsio, will give you the low-down on whether it's a good value, authentic, a trusted seller, etc. Just try to include as much info. and as many detailed images (dial, crown, movement w/serial #, case-back) or the link to the watch's web-page.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 6, 2014

Better than just posting watches from eBay, figure out what models and references you like most, looking through the WRUW thread is a great way to narrow down what you like. Then once you've figured out your favourites, research those references, for example Constellation info is found on Desmond's Constellation collector blog.

Jon Shores likes this.
  11. Dr.Sascha Aug 6, 2014

Dsio's advice is well-taken. You might start with some basics such as whether you want a hand-winder or an automatic; a sportier, more rugged watch for everyday wear (e.g. a Seamaster) or a dressier one (a Constellation or a DeVille); stainless steel, gold-capped or gold-filled, or solid gold; a simple dial or a chronograph (e.g. a Speedmaster). You also need to know your budget--$500? $1500, more? Personally, my favourites are classic Seamasters from the mid-to late 50s, in the 500-cal automatic range. They come in a very wide variety of dials and materials, and can be made dressier or or more casual by the type of watch-strap you attach. Very nicely-maintained examples also come up here and in other watch-selling forums with fair frequency. If you haven't already, I would also read through this thread, which outlines the basics of Omega-shopping:
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/condition-condition-condition-and-other-pieces-of-advice.1716/
    Happy hunting!

Jon Shores likes this.
  12. Jon Shores Aug 6, 2014

Thanks so much dsio and Dr.Sascha...I have narrowed down that I am looking for a Seamaster (I like the rugged/sporty look) from the late 50's/early 60's with a leather strap. I would like this to be an everyday watch for me so I wouldn't want it to be too fancy that I would be worried wearing it around. I am looking to spend $400-$600 and feel that I can find a decent watch in that range. I would also like a hand-winder as I am drawn to the engineering/mechanical aspects of the watches.

I will start following the for watch thread closely and keep an eye out for any good examples! Thanks guys!

Dr.Sascha likes this.
  13. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 6, 2014

Jon,
    Your wish list is very doable, patience will be your main obstacle.
    While the manual wind Seamaster calibres 260 - 284 are excellent, I wouldn't rule out the automatics, calibres 3xx through 5xx !
    They are rugged, dependable and the thump of a "Bumper", I find very cool.

Decide silver or gold, dial style and color and then set your trap!
    Ebay is tough, a lot of bad examples to weed through.
    Senior members here are often upgrading or changing collection direction, so you are wise to watch the "For Sale" section here for something you like.
    Then, when you see your target, shoot a private message to a moderator or senior member you trust for confirmation or advice, and then get ready to buy about 25 more watches!

Dr.Sascha likes this.
  14. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Aug 6, 2014

Jon Shores likes this.
  15. Dr.Sascha Aug 6, 2014

Listen to your Uncle, he knows whereof he speaks. Also, you might enjoy some of the watch repair blogs, and this chap's website, where he gives very nice descriptions of the history and character of various pieces (yes, it's still a sales document, but it's done with a bit of style).

16. Jon Shores Aug 11, 2014

Thanks again for the help guys. I do have a quick question about this EBay listingPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network. I love the sub-second hand and that it is mechanically wound. I am weary that the case back is stamped on the inside but is not stamped on the outside with the Seamaster logo that I typically see. Do some Seamasters not come with that logo on the back? I cannot find anything definitive by way of Google.

Thanks so much guys!

17. pitpro Likes the game. Aug 11, 2014

Some aren't engraved on the back.
    But this watch is a poor re-dial

18. John R Smith Aug 11, 2014

The seamonster (hippocampus) logo does not appear on the caseback until 1957-8, so these early 'bumper' Seamasters will never have it. This example, as pointed out above, has a very poor redial, the movement badly needs a service, and the rotor bearings are worn. The case is not too great, into the bargain. But it is very cheap . . . :thumbsdown: