Forums Latest Members

Looking to buy a new watch as a longer term investment

1. Raffles Apr 5, 2015

Hi all. My first post. I am looking at buying a new watch but want one that may go up in value over time. Was thinking of the upcoming Speedmaster Apollo 13 Silver Snoopy award? Guessing will be very hard to source? Will it be a good buy?

2. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 5, 2015

Are you looking to just keep it preserved and not wear it, or will you be using it as a regular wearer?

3. Raffles Apr 5, 2015

I have always had the attitude that they should be worn. So will be wearing it.

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 5, 2015

As with all new watches, it will drop in value until such time as the market decides it has become collectible. The exception to this is strictly limited editions from high-end brands like Patek.

Hoping to make a profit on what brands like Omega call "limited editions" is a long term thing but then, look at the profit on an original 1957 Speedmaster if you had one to sell now.

bdalla and Nobel Prize like this.
  5. lenny Apr 5, 2015

Few new watches are good investments. I'd be particularly careful with Omega, who tend to over do it with limited editions. Just check current ebay prices for the ceramic DSOTM that not too long ago was being sold for retail+ .

6. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 5, 2015

I don't see "New" watch and "investment" in the same
    paragraph. Maybe a Patek

Fusion, hooligan74, Beefylugs and 4 others like this.
  7. Raffles Apr 5, 2015

Hoping to convince the wife will make a good investment for the future - guess not such a good idea! How do the digital mix ones do? Like the look of the Omega speedmaster skywalker x-33? Guess the battery will be expensive to replace?

8. lenny Apr 5, 2015

^that would be an even worse idea. Ask anyone who paid retail (5,900 usd) for a Z-33 what they think of digitals as an investment :).

9. pitpro Likes the game. Apr 5, 2015

Want a great "investment" watch?
    Hang around, learn, and buy a 1960's Speedmaster.
    And it looks right at home next to today's large
    styling.

Drawarms and gemini4 like this.
  10. Raffles Apr 5, 2015

Thought that would be the case. Like the practicality of both analogue and digital.

11. Raffles Apr 5, 2015

That sounds like sound advice.

12. lenny Apr 5, 2015

Then buy a second generation x-33.

13. Raffles Apr 5, 2015

Where would you recommend to look for these? Nervous of eBay buys?

14. Raffles Apr 5, 2015

Was hoping the moon watches were going to be a good longtetm investment?

15. ulackfocus Apr 5, 2015

Speculation on watches is not a good investment - especially if buying a new watch.

Wanna know how to make a small fortune in watches? Start with a large fortune and quit before you blow it all.

16. Raffles Apr 5, 2015

Very good. Hearing you loud and clear. Think will stick with the stocks and shares and buy a watch I really like first.

Privateday7 and watchme like this.
  17. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 5, 2015

Only if it's complicated and at least 6 digits :(

18. yinzerniner Apr 5, 2015

Yup, there's really no way to gain money on a watch as an investment if you're purchasing new. The Silver Snoopy is the most desirable in years because it has a white dial, a new bezel, and it's limited to only 1970 pieces, but even then this will probably never gain value from it's new price. Also, did you have a budget in mind, or strictly hunting for examples? As someone stated before, you're looking at minimum $20-30k new price for limited editions that might gain in value over time.

19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 5, 2015

Buy a new watch 60 years ago, keep everything from the purchase, store it in a climate controlled environment.

Oh, hang on, I forgot to mention, buy a time machine first.

As Dennis said, start with a fortune....................

Tjmmartin likes this.
  20. Shem Apr 5, 2015

It's very unpredictable what would be a good "investment" watch. The best I could suggest would be to find a very popular LE that still comes up in new or like-new condition from time to time -- perhaps the Apollo-Soyuz 35th Anniversary with meteorite dial or the Gemini IV -- and buy one of those. You're very unlikely to lose any money, and you might make some as they get rarer and rarer. It's at least reasonably safe, as watches go.