Forums Latest Members

Looking for Space Compax pushers and bracelet...

1. mappleluna Feb 6, 2014

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I saw that in a thread about ebay watches you talked about an item I've just bought. It is a Space Compax "almost" full set, I mean the bracelet is not the original one but papers and box are there in excellent shape also, almost new ! The watch was advertised "not ticking" but I assure you, it is ticking!!! Need a service though but it keeps time and chronograph is fully working, perfect dial, I think it had never been polished. So happy with this gem.

20140206_164754.jpg

The problem is that the pushers just go like old plastic, they're just like "tar" (almost liquid). Indeed I'm looking for replacement pushers, if anybody can help me, it would be nice. For the bracelet, I just want to know if it is "findable" and if so, how much you think? I do not a lot of money after buying this watch but very happy with it.

Thanks for you help.

Regards

2. Diabolik Feb 6, 2014

Try ebay. There is a chap from Hong Kong that seems to have some NOS rubber pushers. They are expensive at $99.00 but worth it. As far as the original Gay Freres bracelet and UL end pieces goes, they are like gold dust. I have seen them rarely on ebay. They are always snapped up before auction ends for prices of up to £1000.00 ... Beware of immitations (champion and others), they never look as good!

here is a link: http://omegaforums.net/threads/i-think-im-on-to-something.9854/

3. mappleluna Feb 6, 2014

Thank you for this information. I ll have a look on eBay. Thx!

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 6, 2014

I have fished two bracelets with correct endpieces out of the 'Bay in two years...patience and persistence..

As for the pushers, a constant annoyance with these watches. The Hong Kong pusher caps Diabolik mentions are certainly not NOS - they are replicas which are thinner and softer - not very robust at all. Of course, you can't get NOS, so replica sometimes has to do.

Here's what most people don't realize about the pushers: the rubber pusher is not usually the only bit missing. There is a washer which sits on top of the pusher which is necessary for the pusher cap to be functional. This transmits the pressure on the cap to the actual pusher, supports the pusher shape and keeps it centered. Without it you are pushing air. And this washer is absolutely introvabile. I can't tell if your example still has these.

The washer in question is circled in red - the terminal piece on the pusher
    aphoto 4x.jpg

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 6, 2014

For those looking for a translation, introvabile means
    1. that cannot be found, not to be found, unobtainable
    :)

HeuerLoon likes this.
  6. ulackfocus Feb 6, 2014

Made out of unobtainium. ;)

7. mappleluna Feb 7, 2014

"Introuvable" in french and unfortunately it seems to be my case because these washers are not there... Sh...
    To remove the metal pushers I just have to unscrew them ? I've tried to, by hands but they're really hard, like stuck. I do not want to break anything, can I use a tool and force a bit ?

8. Diabolik Feb 7, 2014

I have a lathe. I can make those ... Just need dimensions. Aluminium is very easy to shape even if dimensions are tiny ...

ulackfocus likes this.
  9. ulackfocus Feb 7, 2014

You, sir, are about to become a lot of member's new bestest buddy. ;)

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 7, 2014

Can do about the dimensions if you are serious.

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 7, 2014

You mean the outside pusher guards -- the serrated metal pieces? Yes they just screw off. Be careful about using a tool though. They are not thick, and you will put them out of round if you are not careful. I would just try a little rubber for grip first.

As an additional note, if you case is that grungy that these parts are so hard to loosen, the whole thing probably needs a service. Just take it to a watchmaker - the case will come back all nice and ultrasonically cleaned - but be careful to tell him not to polish it.

12. Diabolik Feb 7, 2014

yes serious, should not take too long to machine a couple. post dimensions and i'll see what i can do.

lathe.JPG
    HeuerLoon likes this.
  13. PaulG Vintage Heuer Connoisseur Feb 8, 2014

Greetings all - this subject is very much on my mind too due to a recent arrival. The example below is complete but the rubber has gone rock hard rendering the chrono useless (unless you remove the caps and operate with your fingernail). I am awaiting some new rubber inserts from the Hong Supplier and hoping this will be a suitable solution. I would be keen to get some new washers made and as discussed with Lou, I am of the opinion that they should be solid with a straight profile and not have the lip on the top. I would be happy to contribute to the set up costs so please keep me in mind should the project go forward.
    Here is my latest and what a fine piece it is.
    regards
    Paul
    www.heuerworld.com

165 UG Space Compax no1.jpg

HeuerLoon likes this.
  14. Diabolik Feb 8, 2014

need input .... blip!
    need accurately measured old part to make ....blip!
    unable to compute .... blip!

15. mappleluna Feb 8, 2014

Guy you're just FAN-TAS-TIC if you can do that ! Unfortunately I cannot tell you the dimensions of such part. Here attached a picture I've found on this forum, just to be clear.

Untitled.png
  16. mappleluna Feb 8, 2014

Yep, I gently unscrewed it, it worked. Yes my Space Compax needs a service obviously, but before carrying it to my watch maker I'd like it to be in a complete set, I mean with pushers fine.

About this topic (rubber pushers), does anyone has the ebay link to these pushers ? I cannot find em. Greatly appreciated, thanks to all of you !

17. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 8, 2014

Beauty, Paul. And no watch ever suffers by your photography!

Geez, give a guy a chance to recover from a late Friday night!

Here it is though:

Note that the structure has an upper lip
    aphoto 4x.jpg

Height: 1.37mm
    Diameter of body: 2.08mm
    Diameter of upper lip: 2.51mm

The thing is hollow, and it need not be, but it has to have a hole in the bottom to accommodate the pin from the pusher.
    Pin diameter: 0.95mm.
    This needs to fit fairly snugly, as this is what holds the structure in place.

Now, the replacement pushers from Hong Kong are thinner and much softer that the original, so I would err on making it a little taller, if I was to err in one direction or another.

In addition to that, and in order to make the job easier, I don't see much reason for the lip. I would make the whole thing 2.51mm in diameter, as that will help support the rather thin replaement pusher.

Over to you, Diabolik...let me know if you need more info.

I am of course happy to field test your creation. And I'll place an advance order for a half a dozen of these.

18. Diabolik Feb 8, 2014

Did a trial run using rough measuments and it took me around 1 hour to make up a pair so (as long as i dont get millions of requests) no big deal, just fiddly due to size ... will post an image after din dins ...

so:

2.51 mm diameter
    1.37 mm height
    0.95 mm pin diameter

expect tolerances of around 0.05 mm

I will use aly and I shall roll em out.

Stuff the dosh, more interested in a bezel for my polerouter sub (identical to the space compax bezel) so if someone has one, i would be very happy to make enough for all that need a set in exchange (happy to top up if needed).

19. Diabolik Feb 8, 2014

I always wondered why the pushers were so clumsy, now I know!!

As you can see, one pusher is squashed and rubber has cracked as i was using it without a spacer. An expensive mistake ...

I have attached images of spacers I quickly made up. Not buffed and a little smaller (2.00 mm) but they seem to do the trick and it all works as it should. I think that 2.5 mm diameter with a 0.95 mm hole straight though is about right and easier to make ...

I am not going to charge (apart from shipping) but please be patient, I also have a daytime job ... all I ask is that if you hear of a bezel for a polerouter and a crown (locking) going anywhere, you let me know ...

we all know the extortionate price some people charge so in the interest of equality and fairness, just one set per address!

dean

IMG_0690.jpg IMG_0691.jpg
  20. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 8, 2014

that's terrific!

My prediction - you are going to be inundated with requests. The 'no charge' is admirable, but I think you are entitled to charge for your initiative, time and effort - and I speak as a guy in need of the part.

Will keep both eyes peeled for the appropriate bezel, as I'm sure will every other Space COmpax owner who contacts you!