Forums Latest Members

Looking for some help on validity of a Seamaster De Ville

1. Kumagron Dec 9, 2013

So I've just been looking around at Seamasters and love the Seamaster De Ville. I found this one on eBay buy just would like for someone to chime in and get their opinion on it.

-Is it real?
    -Is the price justifiable for what it is?
    -etc (please feel free to comment about anything in particular you see)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Men...twatches&hash=item2c7831ee4c&autorefresh=truePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Cheers!
    -Jeff S.

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 9, 2013

If you're after an over polished, badly re-dialed very expensive beater with a movement in totally unknown condition then this is the watch for you!

There are better watches around, and beware of anything in this family with a black dial, the originals are few and far between.

Watch and wait, your prince will come ;)

3. Kumagron Dec 9, 2013

What are some things I SHOULD be looking for in a watch of this kind?

4. Hijak Dec 9, 2013

Hello Kumagron welcome to the forum! Some of the things to look for require some experience but with a little help you will find a keeper. Some things to look for are sharp original edges on the case, many times vintage watches are over polished by an unsimpithetic watchmaker. Also having a refinished dial kills the value of a vintage piece and can look horrible too. A shot of the movement (internal mechanics) is always preferable as to see their condition. There are also many other things that dictate the value of a vintage watch. Keep posting your finds and the folks here will be happy to help and steer you to a nice watch and then if you ever decide to sell it you will be able to get your money back out of it. Happy hunting!:thumbsup:

5. ulackfocus Dec 9, 2013

Hi Jeff. At least the seller was honest enough to admit it's a redial.

Originality. There are plenty of decent examples around. We'll help you on a case by case basis.

Kumagron likes this.
  6. Kumagron Dec 9, 2013

Thank you and everyone else for y'alls patience, wasn't expecting that on a online forum! Here are a few others I've found that are reasonable price and seem to fit the criteria, at least in my eyes. Only thing I could see that you mentioned is it being over-polished? Not sure, everyone chime in! :) http://www.ebay.com/itm/310811895629?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Dablitzer likes this.
  7. Kumagron Dec 9, 2013

Awesome! Look forward to y'alls opinions and seeing what the differences are that y'all spot out!

8. Hijak Dec 9, 2013

Your watch above is a case reference 14770 SC-61 dating it to 1961 and the movement has a serial number in the 22.7 million range dating it to ~ 1966. This might be a franken watch. the issue here is Omega did not start the Seamaster De Ville series until 1963, having this dial and movement in a case from 1961 is concerning. However I believe the dial is original, just not to this case.

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 9, 2013

This seller is always full of shit. "Factory original" - "Professionally redone", clearly contradictory, can't be both!

Kumagron likes this.
  10. Kumagron Dec 9, 2013

Had to Google what "franken" meant but now I see how this is suspect. Would you ever reccomend to buy a watch that has different parts in it such as
    this?

So I've come across two others that I like, thoughts/ input?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291028541080?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

This one doesn't show the movements. Is this something to be skeptical of? http://www.ebay.com/itm/161167792096?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 9, 2013

12. Kumagron Dec 9, 2013

How can you tell about the dial from the first one?

I'm really into the one you have listed, but the price is just a tad high for what I'm wanting to spend

13. Hijak Dec 9, 2013

That first one is a horrible redial.::puke::The second one there is no movement shot, the dial is a little rough, the lume on the minute hand is missing, you can see through it and it has the incorrect crown.. look at the third picture you can see it all clearly there.

Norman (X350 XJR) has a nice watch there and is a very respected seller here. I have personally dealt with Norm and have been very satisfied with my purchases, just sayin':thumbsup:

14. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 9, 2013

Seller actually states it in the description, "Original Omega Dial Professionally Refinished", although I really have issues when a seller uses "original" and "refinished" together.

15. Kumagron Dec 9, 2013

Yeah now I can somewhat tell after you've pointed it out.

Reading is a hell of a thing lol.

16. Hijak Dec 9, 2013

Crap.JPG

If you look at the printing and the cross hairs on the dial it is a little thick and not as crisp as it should be. Also this configuration is concerning...never seen the applied Omega and logo at the bottom and the Seamaster De Ville at the top.

Wrist Shot, 7.JPG

Compare this print with the black dial, this is much sharper. Look at the words closely on each watch, at the detail in each letter and you will see the difference.

17. Kumagron Dec 9, 2013

[quote="Hijak, post

If you look at the printing and the cross hairs on the dial it is a little thick and not as crisp as it should be. Also this configuration is concerning...never seen the applied Omega and logo at the bottom and the Seamaster De Ville at the top.

[​IMG]

Compare this print with the black dial, this is much sharper. Look at the words closely on each watch, at the detail in each letter and you will see the difference.[/quote]

Ok now that they are side by side the thickness of the letters are very apparent in the two. Is the second one yours?

18. Hijak Dec 9, 2013

Yes it is.

19. ulackfocus Dec 9, 2013

Yes, it's an oxymoron - like jumbo shrimp. It can't be original if the original paint has been stripped and it's been refinished. This is eBay semantics that we've gone over with each new member - if it's the original slab of metal, most sellers think it's fine to call the dial original. BIg difference from a collector's definition of original.

20. John R Smith Dec 9, 2013

The black dial one is a good joke, but that's about it.