Forums Latest Members

Looking for opinions on this 1675

1. Kazyole Dec 25, 2016

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of starting off the new year with a 1675 and wanted to get some more expert opinions. I know I like the look of this one, but am looking for confirmation that there are no surprises lurking in plain sight, as this is not my area of expertise. There is some discoloration on the 10 and 6 o'clock markers. Not sure if this is something that's fixable with a little cleaning, but they don't particularly bother me anyway.

Serial is 548XXXX. Dial and hands match well in person, but look a bit off in my shitty photo. Case is nice and sharp. Seller is double checking to make sure it's a red back insert. Date disc has open 6s and 9s. Anything I'm missing?

Seller is asking 8900.

Thanks!

2B529A8D-4146-42F3-85E4-45DA2F006481.jpg

72E9DB0C-3B1D-47AE-97F9-DFE1A3AD12B2.jpg

2. ATWG Dec 25, 2016

Looks like a nice Mark 5 dial which is correct for the serial #. I wouldn't touch the dial and would keep it original. The insert is defiantly a red back and compliments the watch quite nicely. Can't make a determination on the case from the pictures. The watch looks to be a fine example.

Best of luck.

watchknut and Kazyole like this.
  3. Kazyole Dec 25, 2016

Awesome. Pretty much confirms the research I've been frantically doing. The bezel is what really gets it for me. The sky blue that its faded to is just too nice. Didn't really get a great picture of the case, but that's one of the better parts of the watch. Really sharp, well defined lugs.

Thank you!

4. omegastar Dec 26, 2016

I am no expert, but my first thought was isn't the lume thick ? Apart from that it looks nice.
    It is always interesting to look at a Rolex from serial or ref. angle to see if the metal bracelet has worn off the lugs.
    I like the look.

Kazyole likes this.
  5. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Dec 26, 2016

Overall it is a nice looking watch.. I would not touch the lume to fix discoloration..

Things to take into consideration:

Service history, if none - add $500-700..
    No bracelet - add $600-900
    Second hand is badly corroded.
    The minute/hour hands look in great condition, possibly relumed to match color. The only way you will be able to tell is by removing them and looking at the back.

Now, in order to continue your due diligence - please - you need to see the reference numbers (Serial/model) and the inside of the case back. Feel free to post here for comments.

I think it is priced high as a head only, further if it needs a service and if you want a bracelet, I think you can do better..

Drawarms, Kazyole and watchknut like this.
  6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 26, 2016

$8900...way too much.

A very nice mk1 1675 sold for $7900 on ebay last week, as well as very nice mk5 1 owner for $6450.

The mk5 was a 5m serial and did have a black insert, but you can source correct red backs for $500-1000.

TTG was spot on his assessment.

Kazyole likes this.
  7. ATWG Dec 26, 2016

The lugs could have easily been recut and if not done properly can detract from the value of the watch by quite a bit. Just because they're well defined doesn't necessarily translate to be a good thing.

Kazyole likes this.
  8. Kazyole Dec 26, 2016

Thanks everyone. I still like the watch but think I'll try to talk them down a bit based on the information here.

Watch is recently serviced, but I won't be taking more photos soon as the seller is out of town for the holiday, but here's one of his pictures of the lug area:

IMG_0052.PNG

9. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Dec 26, 2016

Looks like the case was refreshed..
    This particular shot looks good and does not commensurate the condition of the dial/hands...
    Again, continue with your due diligence.
    Good luck!

Drawarms likes this.
  10. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 26, 2016

+1 recut case

11. Kazyole Dec 26, 2016

Thanks guys. The search continues then.

12. ATWG Dec 26, 2016

Wow, that looks too perfect for my liking, chamfers are way too pronounced.

I would not be a buyer at that price point, specially if it has no bracelet and the possible need for service which would put this watch close to $10k.

Keep thirsty my friend.....