Forums Latest Members

Looking for opinions on the condition of a potential buy (Rolex Datejust 1603)

1. Euxinus May 29, 2017

Hello OF,

I have been looking into buying a Rolex ref 1601 or 1603 for a while now. I have found one I am considering buying and want the opinion of the forum as to a couple imperfections in the watch.

Firstly the underside of the lugs has been worked by the ends links of the bracelet. I have read online that the old jubilee bracelets and their end links are kind of notorious for doing this. Based on the pictures, how deep do you think the damage is? Looking at other examples of 1601's and 1603's I find this damage is quite typical, would it for you severely detract value from the watch?
    18789248_10207564256659575_438506210_o.jpg

Second is the lume. The seller claims the lume is all original, the colour of the lume on the hands and dial matches exactly, which to me indicates that the lume was at least applied at the same time. What is sort of off putting is the lume @ 1 o'clock seems to be off center, and non circular. It does not really appear to me that it has chipped or fallen off but maybe applied incorrectly, making me sort of doubt the "original lume" claim. Opinions on how the lume @ 1 occured would be appreciated.

18788992_10207564257899606_1397582565_o.jpg

Please note there is also a vertical hairline scratch below the T in datejust near the edge of the photo.

Lastly, the crown looks sort of beat up.
    18818022_10207564256899581_1842652458_o.jpg

Would any of these prevent someone from buying the watch or annoy you while wearing it?

Past that the watch has the odd tiny ding on the case sides, as can be expect for a watch of this age, but the case looks unpolished, and sharp ( as does the bezel). Sorry for not posting more pictures, this watch is not in my possession and the pictures are not mine.

For those of you well versed in the price of 1603's, what would you value this watch assuming the rest of it is in good to great condition and the bracelet is in exceptional condition?

Sorry for the "please help me with the purchase post" but I have been mulling this over in my head alone, and since none of my real life friends are collectors I have not been able to discuss this with anyone.

Thanks, Euxinus.

2. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise May 29, 2017

More pics, please. Of the dial in full, as well as the inside of the caseback and the movement. And then we'll be able to give you better advice. :)

watchknut likes this.
  3. Euxinus May 29, 2017

Awaiting movement shots / case back, should have it tomorrow. I will post when i get it.

2q2fpfq.jpg vdiikl.jpg

citizenrich likes this.
  4. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise May 29, 2017

the lume dots were most likely (re)applied at a later date. very common with period rolex. as are redials. is this one a redial? my eyes are not that great anymore...i would lean towards yes, as the 'datejust' is about the same size as 'rolex'. typically, this would be the case for the original font sizes of the earlier/est datejusts, the 6305 and 6605, and less likely so for the latter datejusts, the 1600/01/03s.
    that being said, without seeing the innards yet, and if you overlook the lume dots, the dial is a beautiful shimmery silver, and the hour markers are typical stunners of their age.
    if all else checks out, and the price is right (no more than 2k, plus or minus a few), it would be a good little beater/starter DJ.

watchknut likes this.
  5. Euxinus May 29, 2017

Thank you, for your opinion, it is greatly appreciated!

Capture.JPG

the rolex and datejust are the same size, comparing to what i believe is an original example i see what you mean!

Edit: I need to find a good source on what a completely original dial looks like, I keep seeing the datejust the same size and larger than the ROLEX. Does anyone have some good reading material?

Edited May 29, 2017
  6. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise May 29, 2017

the mondani and goldberger rolex books are probably the best exhaustive reading material on the subject, other than stuff you'll find/read online from trusted sources (veteran members of forums like the omegaforums.net and the rolexforums.com, as well as top/trusted collectors and dealers on instagram)
    often times when i'm not sure if something i'm looking at is good/legit, i blow up its pics side by side with blow ups of pics from the same/similar specimen from trusted sources.

7. citizenrich Metal Mixer! May 31, 2017

Weaponized Autism!

:thumbsup:

As luck would have it, my honey wore one of her older Rolex watches yesterday and left it out on the nightstand. I don't think there would be any difference w/ the chick watch, right? Seems like Rolex was fussy with this stuff.

So, of course I reached over her and snapped a photo...Hopefully she doesn't remember. 50/50

Oh, and as you can see, we've a new addition to the clan - that's the birth announcement. So once again, I'm Uncle Richie and I love it. Cute baby, huh?

Anyway, the print : font on the dial looks the same to me. Lume plots look good as well, yes?

I bought that watch for her as an engagement gift ~20 years ago. If I told you what I paid for it, you probably wouldn't believe me.

IMG_3269.JPG
    Edited May 31, 2017
    GuiltyBoomerang likes this.