Forums Latest Members
  1. ryedial Dec 27, 2016

I live about half way between Boston, MA and Portland, ME. I'm looking for a technician for my Omega L'heure Exacte Chronometre...any suggestions appreciated. The local brick and mortar shops in and around Portsmouth, NH come up empty handed.
    Ryedial, NH

2. Vitezi Dec 27, 2016

3. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Dec 27, 2016

4. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Dec 27, 2016

Oops, I didn't realize it was a vintage timepiece...

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 27, 2016

I had an interesting conversation with one of the salesmen at my local OB. He's a member here and understands the desire for Omega to be more sympathetic toward vintage watch service. He told me, may be total BS, that the service center has been told to not polish or resurface cases, unless the customer specifically requests it. It will be interesting to see if this is true.

6. ryedial Dec 27, 2016

7. Vitezi Dec 28, 2016

Please keep us informed of how this project works out for you!

8. ulackfocus Dec 28, 2016

I can't think without pictures.

9. Vitezi Dec 28, 2016

10. Mac5 Dec 29, 2016

I have had good luck with Watch, Clock and Jewelry repair in St. Charles, MO. I know it isn't local but he does great work. Here is a link to his website. http://www.wcjrepair.com/

11. ryedial Dec 29, 2016

Thank you Mac5! That's the kind of referral I am looking for. Quite honestly I am surprised at how scant a response there is to question, especially considering that here should be a concentration of more than casual Omega followers.

12. Mac5 Dec 29, 2016

13. ryedial Dec 29, 2016

Update: One highly regarded and reviewed shop in NYC has offered that a full service for such a timepiece starts at $400. without complications. I am waiting to hear back from another watchmaker in VT. I can drive to these two place rather than ship. The maestro that Mac5 recommended in MO said Never to ship. He would not offer to even look at it unless it was walked into the shop. Film at 11....

Vitezi likes this.
  14. ryedial Dec 31, 2016

Ray Bates, The British Watchmaker in Vt said that his baseline overhaul begins @ $300. and cautioned that it is just a starting point.
    He said that the collectible watch market and antiques market in general remains low and depressed and that any further investment may not bring a bigger/better market. At this point I will gently restore the wood, not refinish and hold on to it.

15. Mac5 Dec 31, 2016

That's odd..... He had no problem when I shipped my watch to him and he obviously shipped it back. Maybe because it is a clock and not a wrist watch.

16. ryedial Dec 31, 2016

That would make sense

17. Gordon Heavyfoot Dec 31, 2016

I use Watch, Clock and Jewelry repair in St. Charles, MO as well. I highly recommend them. Have used Yakov, the owner, for Omegas, Rolex and several other brands, including more complicated watches, chronographs, etc. He does an excellent job at an excellent price and will listen to your instructions for a sympathetic vintage service. Very good turnaround time, too. I'm lucky enough to live 5 mins away.

Mac5 likes this.
  18. Vitezi Dec 31, 2016

Perhaps obvious, but if you choose to stay local, look for a shop that focuses on vintage clock repair rather than watches or Omega. There are several around the Boston area that might suit your needs. I'm thinking of places like this or this.

An alternative idea: The Chelsea Clock Co in Chelsea MA offers vintage clock restoration. Given that they are also a manufacturer, they would certainly have the skills to service your clock. Several folks on this forum have Chelsea clocks.
    http://www.chelseaclock.com/p/repair-restoration/

19. Vitezi Dec 31, 2016