Forums Latest Members

Looking for my first Omega (or the neverending story between fake and real)

1. piero May 24, 2015

Dear Friends,
    I wished an Omega since the tender age of 15 but my parents could not afford the acquisition of such an expensive gem. Don't forget, in those days ebay hadn't yet been established and it was not easy to find a good watch at a reasonable price. You know the best of the story? I live not on the North Pole or in South Korea, no, I live in Switzerland, the homeland of Omega, but here the prices were always really high, no matter if the watches were produced here. You can imagine my sadness during the years when walking through the city I met every 20 meters a watch store with exposed the most beautiful masterpieces of the moment and I could not do anything but watch. It was frustrating to say the least.
    Now, 15 years later, finally I made my way and the time has come to make my dream come true. Last week I received my first Omega Seamaster cal. 471, according the seller, same as in the pictures, everything original with black refinished dial from the 50's. God, it was from the first instant a disappointment. I'm not an expert but I had not a good sensation, the watch seems too "new", too "light", and it was not the same as on the pictures on ebay. Finally as I wanted to fasten the strap it brokes in one second without effort. The band was for sure the cheapest thing I ever seen in my life (see the second pic attached). The price I have paid? $425.......
    I contacted the seller immediately and I told him that I would send his piece of shit back and claim back the money. He replied that he was sorry (wow!) for the whole story. He said that I can have the money back but he also said that he wants to make it good with a second honest offer. The offer is a Seamaster cal. 752 from around 1969-1972, exactly as shown in the pics (hope this is the truth). The price is $525. I like this model but before I give my ok and pay the difference of $100 I would ask for your help.
    I am grateful for every opinion and tip you could give me. The first thing I will make is to verify the serial numbers on the case (here in this case we have two on the case, ST 166032 and ST 168023, the number on the movement is not 100% readable, I suppose that it's 307807XX) Please help me to find the way to my first authentic Omega. Thank you all for reading my post.

Cheers, Pietro

Here first the garbage the seller sent me, the first picture is as it was presented on ebay and the seller told to my question that it was exactly the same he would send. Make your own conclusion on comparing with the second pic.
    $_57 (2).JPG

5 minutes after the delivery of the Omega 471.
    Watch received.jpg

The next pics are about the OMEGA Seamaster cal. 752. Every comment is very appreciated :)
    $_12 (1).JPG
    $_12 (4).JPG $_12 (3).JPG $_12 (6).JPG $_12 (8).JPG $_12 (9).JPG $_12 (10).JPG $_12 (11).JPG

2. lillatroll May 24, 2015

hello,
    I would ask for my money back for the simple,reason that I would not feel comfortable that what he was sending was any better. There are plenty of watches on the for sale section that are reasonably priced and most of sellers here are collectors and ask fair prices for their watches.

piero likes this.
  3. TNTwatch May 24, 2015

I can't see the differences in pictures of the first watch except the broken strap. The price is high for a refinished dial though.

Pictures are small and blurry for the second watch, but it appears to be Ok with reasonable price. Hands may be new replacements, and make sure the hour markers are silver looking instead of yellowish like in the above pictures. Ask for bigger and clearer pictures. If you can, try to bring down the price a bit and keep the first buckle.

piero likes this.
  4. piero May 24, 2015

Hello lillatroll, yes, that's probably what I will do. Thank you for your comment. I appreciate it.

5. piero May 24, 2015

Hey TNTwatch, thank you very much for your tips! I also thought that the hour markers on the Seamaster 752 looks strange, in fact I only saw silver markers on similar models. Yes, the cal. 752 looks really nice and I would love to have one....

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 24, 2015

There's a gold cap version with gold markers and a solid gold version, thing is gold dial furniture with silver hands is not what's done, something's odd there.

piero likes this.
  7. wwhntr May 24, 2015

Everything looks correct on the Seamaster 752, may be a clean, unpolished case...hard to tell from the quality of pictures. The color of the hour markers is questionable as previously noted. I would ask for better pictures and for clarification that they are silver not gold. The dial finish is original and many collectors like these "sparkly" Seamasters.

If the markers are silver, you can keep the original buckle from first watch, and possibly get seller to come down to $475-500, it would be a nice deal. (If the markers are yellow/gold this would kill the deal for me.) The "sparkly" finished dials were available in same case style in day/date and date only. May just be my preference, but I think the date only version is a little more desirable/valuable.

This finish dial is also found more rarely in chronometer versions in both day/date and date only! In my opinion, Chronometer Seamasters are much more uncommon than same period Constellations, which were all chronometer movements. If I had to estimate, the ratio of Seamaster Chronometers to Constellations that I see may be 1 to 100.

piero likes this.
  8. Bishop0414 May 24, 2015

Could someone please take a look at this link and tell me wether this is real or not? I am new to the forum and have been aching for an omega skeletonized watch for a few years. Any feedback would be appreciated.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/331561688323?nav=SEARCHPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

9. lillatroll May 24, 2015

Hello,
    I think that is a pocket watch that has been turned into a watch. I would keep looking. Perhaps do a search for omega skeleton watches, at least it will give you an idea of what they look like and how much they should cost and if there actually are any skeleton watches made by omega.

10. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. May 24, 2015

That's some good thread hijackin' right there!

lillatroll likes this.
  11. piero May 25, 2015

Hello dsio, thank you for your comment. I'm not an expert of the many Omega models and I had not noticed the difference between the silver cap and the gold dial furniture though I had the impression that something was not ok with the watch.

12. piero May 25, 2015

Dear wwhntr, I'm really grateful for your detailed opinion. You know really a lot about these gems! :) Your comment is a big help for the decision I have to take. Thank you very much.

13. Bubba May 25, 2015

Never saw one of these what exactly is a skeleton watce?

14. lillatroll May 25, 2015