Forums Latest Members

Looking for information on the calibre 265 1951 Omega

1. T552 Dec 8, 2014

Hi, I'm looking into buying vintage Omega and I recently went to a vintage Omega store in my area. While I was there, I found this one which I really like but I'm looking for anymore information that I can get.
    I am told that it has a calibre 265 movement and that it is from 1951. I am told that the dial is original and the watch is in great condition. The store has an Omega watchmaker who now works with them and services all of their watches. The watch comes with a certificate from Omega from the latest service.
    I can't seem to find the model or the reference number and they did not have it, and I was wondering if anyone could help me buy giving me any information they might have on it.

Thanks

HoqzuIe.jpg
    Edited Dec 8, 2014
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 8, 2014

Dial is NOT original, refinished and not very well.

Omega printing is off, the sub seconds printing is incorrect and the minute marks do not line up correctly, particularly the 5 o'clock.

3. T552 Dec 8, 2014

Do you know the original model name or number for reference?

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 8, 2014

These watches generally did not have a model name.

As far as the case reference is concerned, the seller should be able to take off the back of the watch to show the inside of the case. If there is no number, it is likely not an Omega made case.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the case isn't original. Some South American countries required that all gold cases be locally sourced in the 1950's. However, collectors almost always like to see the Omega markings on the inside.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

5. T552 Dec 8, 2014

Thanks for the feedback, I really don't want to end up with a bad watch. The lighting in this photo is different and the hour markers can be seen more clearly.
    [​IMG]

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 8, 2014

The dial is refinished/repainted. And the concern regarding the case - whether swiss made or made elsewhere such as South America is valid. The dial issue by itself would disqualify the watch for me.

7. T552 Dec 8, 2014

Just out of curiosity, why is the dial such a deal breaker? This watch would just be a nice watch for me to wear and the components of it do make a big difference to me as I love watches, but with this watch I know that every component is Omega. I am not looking to resell it and I'm not to bothered about the monetary worth, so the dial doesn't make a big difference to me. How come it would disqualify it for you?

8. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Dec 8, 2014

Most if not all serious collectors favour factory originality over watches that have been overhauled or "restored". Sharp cases showing the original lines of the watch, movements that meet factory specifications for the model, correct cases, crowns and hands, and original, unfinished dials. So the aim is to go for not only Omega components, but correctly specced components.

A refinished dial can reduce the value of a watch by around 30%, a badly refinished dial even more so, and this is because redials compromise the identity of the piece . The problem is that there are so few re-finishers that can get the dial to look as fine as it was originally produced. Secondly, a dial is like a human face, it reveals much of the character and history of the watch.

That having been said, if you are looking for a nice looking watch and do not subscribe to the above collecting ethos, then it's perfectly fine to source a watch that looks and goes well.

Cheers

Desmond

9. T552 Dec 8, 2014

Thank you for your reply. I agree with you that of course as many original parts in the watch as possible would be the best possible situation, however in this instance I feel that I am ok with the dial not being the original dial and I was wondering why it seems to be such an issue.
    All the components of the movement meet the factory specifications and have been verified by Omega which also makes me feel better about the watch overall.
    Thank you for explaining it and giving such an in-depth answer.

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 8, 2014

As Desmond stated, it is not an issue at all if all you are going to do is wear the watch.

The main purpose for pointing this out is so that you don't overpay for the watch now and become disappointed if you want to sell it later.

So long as you go into the deal with eyes wide open, all should be fine.
    gatorcpa

11. T552 Dec 8, 2014

Great, again thank you for the feedback. I am new to both Omega and vintage watches so it has been really helpful.