Forums Latest Members
  1. arnyeinstein Jan 3, 2017

omega1969.jpg Hi
    I just found my dad's old watch he used to wear until the 90s (he died last year). It is still running and I am wondering if anybody could tell me more on the watch. It was bought in 1969. It shows the day of the month and there is no text below the center. My mother told me that it is a gold (plated?) watch. I have a picture attached.
    I think it's monetary value is not very high, but for me the emotional value is.
    I have added a picture.
    Cheers
    Renger

Edited Jan 3, 2017
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 3, 2017

3. arnyeinstein Jan 3, 2017

Hi
    I added a picture, but I don't see it.
    Renger

4. ConElPueblo Jan 3, 2017

Maganator and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  5. arnyeinstein Jan 3, 2017

it was too big, therefore the "insert photo" didn't show up...

6. Vicke Jan 3, 2017

That pic didn't help much, you'll have to get some better ones. Read the post BlackTalon linked to again.

7. arnyeinstein Jan 3, 2017

will do, as soon as it is back from "cleaning"
    Cheers

8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 3, 2017

Hi Arney and welcome!

As mentioned above, we need more to tell more, please follow the guides and we will be able to give you much more help.

Based on the picture you show, it might be a reference166.0037 with the caliber 565 automatic movement.
    This one would normally say Seamaster on the dial but not all of them did or perhaps your dial may have been repainted during a service.

Value is based on Dad's memory.
    Unless this happens to be solid gold, it's value without memories is probably a few hundred at best.
    With memories, it's priceless!

Please don't wear/wind it until servicing as you can cause damage.
    Get us some good pictures and we will try to help you get the watch ready for another 50 years!

Sorry you lost your Dad.

May I ask what you mean by cleaning?

chronos likes this.
  9. arnyeinstein Jan 3, 2017

Thanks for your reply. Cleaning is just the outside. The gold part had staines and I didn't want to clean it myself. They will not open it.
    They also will add a new wristband (as the old one is just metal and not very pleasant to wear).

10. Vicke Jan 3, 2017

Euros?
    Pounds?
    Dollars? US or Canadian or....
    Yen?
    Cows?
    Speedmasters?

:cool::taunt::)

11. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 3, 2017

Have a proper watchmaker "clean" it when they service it. Anything else is really a waste of time and money.
    As pointed out by others: SERVICE FIRST, WEAR/WIND LATER.

Davidt likes this.
  12. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 3, 2017

(Uncle)Bucks!
    :rolleyes:

efauser, Vicke and UncleBuck like this.
  13. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 3, 2017

If they polish the watch, it may remove some of the gold plating(assuming it's not solid gold) or round off the edges of the case.

The oils used to lubricate the movement can become degraded over time and cause excessive wear, so please don't use it until a good watchmaker has given it a proper service.

chronos likes this.
  14. arnyeinstein Jan 3, 2017

yep, I am living in the center of watchmaker land, so this will, hopefully, be no problem (otherwise I can ask a colleague of mine, Beat Haldiman, he makes watches (the most expensive costs almost 1 Million Swiss francs...).

15. Davidt Jan 3, 2017

I'd be very careful about having anyone clean the watch. Polishing etc will affect the value.

The best thing to do at this point is to halt the cleaning and have them open the back to determine reference and serial.

16. arnyeinstein Jan 6, 2017

So, here we go with all possible information on my watch (incl. better pictures; if I don't know the exact english term, I have put " " aroudn the word)
    - It is a gold watch (there is a small "imprint" at one of the extending parts at the back (see picture)
    - There is no type given (just Omega automatic).
    - bought in 1969
    - It looks like a deville (if that is a type). The 6 (1 bar) is however not like the 12 (two bars)
    - the back doesn't have anything on it
    - the "screw" has the omega sign on it.
    I hope one of you is able to tell me what kind of Omega this is (although, I am already very happy having it as a reminder of my father).
    Cheers
    Renger omega2.jpg
    omega1.jpg mark.jpg

17. ConElPueblo Jan 6, 2017

- It is solid gold, the "imprint" is called a hallmark, and is a stamp that denotes that it is gold. It looks like a squirrel (upside down...) and means it's 14K gold.
    - It's pretty normal that there aren't any names on the dial or inscriptions on the rear. Not all Omegas have model names.
    - The "screw" is called a crown :) It looks like it could be the original, it is very worn, however.

Looks fine.

arnyeinstein likes this.
  18. arnyeinstein Jan 6, 2017

Thanks! So there is no way, to look it up in the vintage homepage of omega? (unbelievable how many models they produced...)
    I looked under "automatic, " but there was no watch looking like this one.
    My father got the watch from my mother after he survived a huge operation in 1969 (they operated on him while cooling his body with ice cubes). After the operation, the fine movements of his right hand were lost (he would squash normal pens, so he could not use plastic pens to write). That is probably the reason the crown is so worn out.

19. Davidt Jan 6, 2017

You need the reference number to look it up in the omega vintage database. This can be found inside the case back.

20. jimmyd13 Jan 6, 2017

To look up exact details of the watch, you need the reference number. This is a 6 digit number 166.xxx. You can find this number on the inside of the caseback. I strongly recommend that you arrange for this to be serviced and, at that time, the watchmaker can give you the caseback information.