Forums Latest Members

Looking for information on Montrose watches

1. mydeafcat Nov 17, 2018

So now it is my turn to post a ‘I found this watch that belonged to my dad’ inquiry. And no, I’m not fishing for potential resale value!

I really did find this old Montrose two days ago among my late father’s collection of assorted coins and such. It is not running and is rather on the small size. Indeed, the entire case fits within the bezel of my 2254!

Still I quite like this little beast, especially the beveled lugs and sub seconds. I’m hoping someone out there knows about this watch company. The few Montrose mentions on the interweb haven’t provided any substantive information.

Many thanks!! C535071F-B7FA-4069-97BD-544A149CE33D.jpeg 0485C7E1-2696-469C-ADC3-ED17CB8CA62D.jpeg

2. Canuck Nov 17, 2018

Mikrolisk shows the Montrose name as having been used by D. Gruen, Cincinatti - Schild, Swiss - S P Myers, Montreal - and P R Myers, New York. Gruen and Schild were watch manufacturers, and both Myers were (I suspect) distributors. Was your watch actually made by Gruen, or possibly Schild, it is hard to say without seeing what is inside the case. In short, your watch is a private label which generally means generic, or off the shelf.

mydeafcat likes this.
  3. mydeafcat Nov 17, 2018

Thank you! I thought as much. Likely from The Bay or Sears in Regina or Winnipeg, or a general store in rural Saskatchewan. I’ll take it to my watchmaker next week and have him crack it open. I’m quite curious what’s in there.