Forums Latest Members
  1. BV9 Jan 28, 2019

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for any information! I've read the welcome and newbie rules and agree completely.

What I'm looking for: Information about the age, originality, condition. Servicing and possible clean up.

Story: So my grandfather died before my dad was 20, and I wasn't born until 10 years after that. The watch was given to my grandfather after 25 years service at Brewers Warehousing Inc. which is now known as The Beer Store here in Ontario, Canada. It's engraved on the back with that information. When he died it was given to the oldest of 3 sons (not my dad), and I think he wore it semi occasionally. Since I'm the only male next generation it was given to me on my wedding, along with his wedding ring.

I knew nothing about watches and rarely wore them because I work a job where it would likely get broken. I recently started a new job where I wear suits and thought 'hey, I have a dress watch here' so I looked into it and realized it was a pretty nice watch, at least compared to the garbage I used to wear haha, plus I like the story.

I read some other threads, and I'm not sure it's ever been serviced properly. I saw some people mention that because of its general age it might be lacking oils and what not. It runs well as far as I can tell, the date turns over every day, the crystal is pretty scuffed up and the gold finish is worn pretty good on the lugs. There is some metal missing to the right of the crown which I guess would mean it was opened up pretty harshly. I've never opened it as I don't want to damage it further (I know the inside will get you guys more information).

I mainly want to see if it's worth getting serviced, and how I could clean up the crystal. I assume it's acrylic because it looks pretty plastic like. Also, the strap says 'China' so I know that's not the original. I also have done some research but I'm having a hard time finding a reliable watch service here in Southern Ontario. So hopefully someone can help this noob out in any regard. Here are some decent pictures I tried to take.

Screenshot_20190128-145552.png Screenshot_20190128-145326.png Screenshot_20190128-145310.png IMG_20190128_134336.jpg

McKinley likes this.
  2. dan7800 Jan 28, 2019

Welcome! A few things:

1) Go with someone's recommendation as far as servicing. Where are you located? Personally, I'd get it serviced before winding it/wearing it. This is not a decision to be taken lightly.
    2) Search the forum here for recommendations on straps. I like these folks: http://vietnambeautiful.com/, but everyone has their own thoughts.

Welcome!
    -Dan

3. BV9 Jan 28, 2019

Thanks! In the Niagara area but I'm willing to drive. I've looked up a few guys but found bad reviews. And yeah I don't mind the strap but I'd like it to look more original, whatever that was.

Also, if there is any advice from anyone about taking off the back without doing more damage, or if that is necessary that'd be great

4. dan7800 Jan 29, 2019

I sent you a PM. The best advice is to not take the back off and don't do anything more with the watch other than wait and do your research and find a GOOD person to service the watch.