Forums Latest Members

Looking for Info on this Longines

1. epl108 Feb 2, 2015

A good friend of mine inherited this watch last week after his Grandfather passed away. His grandfather had worn it regularly for a very long time, but besides that, nothing about the watch is known. I took a couple pics of it, and was able to remove the movement and dial from the case (when I thought I was just opening a case back) but didn't want to mess with anything further. I'm not even sure if it's a mechanical watch for sure.

Any information about this watch would be greatly appreciated - model, likely time-frame, material, originality etc...

Thanks in advance!

longines4.jpg longines5.jpg longines2.jpg longines3.jpg

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 2, 2015

There is a 14 karat gold hallmark on the back of the case, so it is 58.5% (14/24) gold.

Definitely a U.S. model, but without the movement serial number there is little else I can tell you.

I would recommend registering at Longines' corporate website (use Google) and sending them an email with the pictures. They have access to most of the old catalogs at their Museum.

You can also peruse the models here:

http://www.vintagewatchresources.com

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. ulackfocus Feb 2, 2015

Show us a clear picture of the movement and the inside of the caseback and we can tell you a ton more information.

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Feb 2, 2015

President Lincoln II, ca 1950.

5. epl108 Feb 2, 2015

When I opened the case back, it came off in one piece with the movement, dial, crown etc. Is it supposed to come apart in order for me to get a glimpse of the inside of the caseback?

Thanks for all the info so far!

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 2, 2015

The movement is set inside the caseback. It will lift out with a lot of care. If you are not comfortable with it, get a watchmaker to do it for you.
    gatorcpa

7. epl108 Apr 7, 2015

Finally had a chance to see my friend's watch again last night and was able to pull the following information from the inside of the case-back:

Longines Wittnauer
    Watch Co Inc
    New York
    Geneva Montreal
    A61308

And this info off of the movement:
    7965XXX
    Watch Co Swiss
    23Z
    Unadjusted
    LXW

I couldn't take any pictures that were clear enough to make out any of those words but I'll try again at some point and post them.

Does this info shed any more light on what my friend might have here? Also, he is looking to have it serviced - can anyone recommend a watch maker (who is taking on new work) in the states somewhere who is willing to accept pieces via mail - unless you have someone in the Wash. DC area - then that's even better!

Thanks again OF!